Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Hands too cold to mend a puncture?
  • ton

had a rear wheel puncture this morning…….minus 5 on my phone.
    tyre was muddy/wet from side of the road slurry/slush.
    took the wheel out, got tyre levers ready….but my hands were to cold to do anything.
    took me 35 mins cos i had to get stopping to try to warm my fingers.

i hate cycling sometimes….. 😡

trail_rat
    Free Member

this is why my commuter tires weigh 1kg each.

FuzzyWuzzy

take some latex gloves in your pack to, helps a bit

bigyinn
    Free Member

I can remember the abject misery and pain induced by fixing a puncture on my old Dawes 5 spd in -5 deg temp when I was about 15. The worst bit was trying to get the glue to cure.

jekkyl

I always worry about having to fix a puncture when out in sub zero conditions so I take a couple of heat packs with me, they are thin enough to slip in a cycling jersey pocket and take seconds to heat up. You can get a pack of 5 on ebay for next to nothing. Never had to use one yet but I am going out tonight……

something like this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-ACTIVATED-INSTANT-HEAT-PACKS-HAND-WARMERS-PACK-OF-4-/190782464738?pt=UK_SportingGoods_OtherSports&hash=item2c6b8562e2

zilog6128

Latex gloves. Should be part of your kit anyway, in case of dog eggs. Although at this time of year I use glove liners and can easily work whilst wearing just those.

And by “mend a puncture” I hope you mean “replace a tube”.

muddy247
    Free Member

Plus 1 for what Jekyll said. Heat packs easy enough to stash in your bag

singlecrack
    Free Member

i hate cycling sometimes…..

Cast your mind back a few months ..Ton ……even shit cycling is better than no cycling 😛

What about tubeless ??

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I carry a can of that puncture gunk stuff from on-one on my commute. Normally wouldn’t go near it, but better that than walk home or faff about in the cold.

ton

even shit cycling is better than no cycling

deffo mate…. 😆

thought about tubeless……is it that good?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Tubeless is great ……I’ve not had flat since going tubeless about 2 years ago …also you can pretty much go tubeless with most tyre/wheel combo Just do it ghetto to start with

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=WRM7gq1fcoQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWRM7gq1fcoQ

sbd16v
    Free Member

we went to afan in november and got to the top of whites are there was 4 guys there fixing a snapped chain and they could not put a quick link back on as there hands were so cold, took me 2 seconds lol.

pussywillow
    Free Member

FFS!….M….T….F……U 🙄

labsey
    Free Member

Spare tube for me. I can repair the puncture at home in the warm.

Unless I get two punctures…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yep latex gloves here too, but not much use if your hands are already a bit chilly. Does stop them getting wet though.

mrnmissespanda

I had exactly the same thing last night. Made worse by not being able to pull the thorn out, as the metal multi-tool sucked all the heat out of my hands.

Last night decided to put some latex gloves in saddlebag – glad other recommend it.

Panda

chakaping
    Free Member

It wasn’t those puncture proof tyres I sold you was it?

😥

organic355
    Free Member

minus 5 on my phone.

Your phone has a thermometer app?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Latex gloves plus hand warmer for me when its like this.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Share your pain luvvie, share your pain.

I’d take a spare tube, far better to slam one in than fek around with glue that doesn’t bond or busted fingernails..

dreednya

Same reason I rode 15 out of 25 miles with no front brake pads on Saturday. No way was I attempting to change them out on the trails in those arctic conditions :(.

mattjg
    Free Member

thought about tubeless……is it that good?

It certainly reduces incidence in my experience:

* Thorn prick type punctures often self-seal. You may not notice – or the tyre may soften then seal, you investigate and just add some more air.
    * Snake bites are rarer.
    * Tyre slashes can often be repaired with a TL repair kit, without taking the tyre off or the wheel out of the frame even.

If all the above fail, just whack a tube in, which is no bigger a deal than fixing a tube flat. (But make sure you check the inside of the tyre for thorns that may have self-sealed, but are still there so would flat a new tube on inflation).

Caveat: some tyres can be very tight on tubeless rims. I wouldn’t run a tyre that I couldn’t get off the rim trailside.

A search will show up gazillions of threads on this.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Thorn prick type punctures often self-seal.

Changed to mud tyres the other day; at least 15 thorns and a barbed fishing hook between the ones I took off.

Maxxis LUST go on nice and easy (usually).

andrewh
    Free Member

Aren’t you supposed to pee on them to thaw them out or something?

cookeaa

I limped the last half mile home the other day just to avoid having to fix the slow rear flat on my commuter…

Would latex solution in a 25c road tube @90-100psi do anything useful to reseal a flat? most of the flats I’ve had on the road bike have been due to cuts/slashes in the tyre, suggesting winter road debris is the biggest menace right now on my commute.

or better yet I’m still toying with the idea of trialing a ghetto tubeless tyre on the road bike as it’s worked well for me on the MTBs, but I don’t tend to see the type of cutting you get on a road tyre on my MTB tyres pinches and thorns aren’t the issue it’s flint and glass so I don’t know how a tubeless road setup would actually fair against that…

cogglepin

Did you happen to be wearing that natty little Balaclava Ton?

joespencer33
    Free Member

This year at mountain mayhem in a downpour at 2am-not too cold but f*cking miserable.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

latex gloves – good idea

takisawa2

Back in November, furthest point from humanity. (Under the TV mast at Hopwas, nr Tamworth). Multiple thorn attack. Tube I’d grabbed on the way out was a 20″ for my lads bike. With freezing hands I managed to get it into a 29″ tyre…breifly. Went pop as soon as I rode it. I chickened out of stuffing the tyre full of grass & phoned my brother. 🙂

downhilldave

Smug, or what. Tubeless 5 Spot. Nuff said

colin1265
    Free Member

I went tubeless back in the summer on my P7 commuter, no flats since. I do however carry spare latex gloves, two tubes, co2 canisters and a pump. Don’t care how much it weighs, its all good training and I only want to be up and running asap if i do flat.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Hands too cold to mend a puncture?’ is closed to new replies.