Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hands are painful/cramping/going numb while riding…
  • CurlyGurl
    Free Member

While riding I'm getting what starts off as numb thumbs (which make it difficult to use my grip shift) and today on a longer ride, my fingers also started to get really crampy and painful and I ended up not really being able to change gear or brake properly because my hands weren't working!

Is this due to a death grip on the bars and I need to chill out, or does anyone have any advise on set up, gloves or grips that might help please?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Is this due to a death grip on the bars and I need to chill out, or does anyone have any advise on set up, gloves or grips that might help please?

possible to do with the death grip. set up is so personal it's difficult to comment. wrist curls may help – crack out the weights!

schmiken

ESI grips? I find them exceedingly comfy!

Algore
    Free Member

Sounds like your brakes are too far away. Depending on what model brakes you have try winding them right in. So that when the brakes are fully locked they are only 5mm away from grips.
    Also try braking with different fingers on long descents- look at Jonsey from Dirt Mag- he brakes with middle finger.

Also try swapping grips. I hate lock ons. Find the Alu end makes my hands work. So use lock ons which fasten just on the inside (next to brake lever) or old fashioned grips put on with hairspray.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

When i built up my race bike last year, and put a cheap set of aluminium bars on it, this happened to me as well. Painful stuff… I kept riding with the bars and the pain faded, but I think it was just the change of bars and my weight being shifter forward so that I was pushing back with my hands causing the cramps.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

could be a combination of death grip, grips that are too big and brake lever position as mentioned above.

Get the slimmest grips you can or specialized Body Geometry WSD ones. Move your brake lever in as close a possible (this means your brakes have to be well set up otherwise they'll just pull straight to the bars.

trouble with grip shift for small girly hands (i'm making assumptions about your hands here) is that they are really quite 'chunky' to get a grip on as it were

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hands are painful/cramping/going numb while riding…’ is closed to new replies.