Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Handlebar/helmet cam etc.???
  • flyingfox
    Free Member

Looking for a camera to get loads of videos for our website. Anyone know which are good? ATC 3K Extreme have good write-ups so I was wondering if anyone had any experience of these or could recommend anything else??

Lummox

i've got the 5k, i like it's looks.

i'm happy with the quality of video and it's run time/waterproofness etc.

the negatives are

heavy on helmet mount, no way to point up or down using the mount.

No chest mount (i think this would offer the best position)

Undamped bar mount so footage is extremely shakey on anything but smooth trails.

Stands quite proud of the mount, so limits fitment and causes potential head strikes.

No lanyard attachment in case of knockage.

Sounds like i'm being pretty negative, it's a great camera but i think it could be better – if i could go back in time i'd buy a go pro with chest mount.

smartiekid
    Free Member

Try the Micro MuviCheap as chips and good enough quality…unless you're planning to make Kranked 9… 😆

Lummox

not waterproof though which is a pretty big drawback if you live in the uk, apparently there is a waterproofed version coming.

Saw one at the bike show and was very very tempted (waterproofing was sticking point)

***** quick google shows a waterproof case is in the works, srp £39.99 ******

docrobster
    Free Member

+1 the micro muvi. Mate of mine a m/cycle paramedic uses one- quite impressive what footage I've seen so far and as above dead cheap

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Like Lummox i have the ATC 5K.
    Myine is bolted onto my helmet which brings it slightly lower and also alows me to get the angle right. The screen is usfull if you want to use it to get shots at the side of the trail.
    My vids with it can be found here
    Lummox's other coments also apply as i would like a chest mount but haven't worked one out yet.

gilchrist222
    Free Member
    piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Another vote for the GoPro & they do an HD one as well now. There is a wide range of mounts available (including chest mount)and they are all very, very good.

Oh, and the BBC use GoPros as well (you can see one on the roll cage and the footage from it) from the F1 'Jake Humphrey does a race' thing from last weekend

cookeaa

ATC 3K owner here:

Positives:

-Pretty cheap to buy
    -Uses SD cards (Again cheap and plentiful)
    -Comes with various mounts
    -Video quality and frame rate is OK for interweb videos
    -Very robust
    -Appears to be water tight (only ever used it in damp conditions not pissing rain)
    -Takes AA batteries so easy and cheap enough to replace if they run out on the trail
    -Not too bad battery life (normally use energiser rechargables with it)

Negatives:

-No screen to review footage or check your mounting is lined up (I’ve had several videos looking just off to the side of the trail)
    -Not the widest viewing angle (which would probably help with the above issue)
    -I find the buttons a bit fiddly and hard to use (even worse if you’ve got gloves on)
    -Bar mounted footage is pretty much un-watchable due to vibration
    -Microphone barely picks up any sound until your moving at speed when all you get is horrible wind noise.
    -If you want to watch your footage on your telly it’s pretty low res so looks a bit blocky and piccellated (sp)
    -The supplied mounts (Big rubber band, or Velcro straps) are not that secure so you often wind up modifying a visor, breaking out the Zip ties and/or shoring things up with Gaffa tape…

It’s a bargain bin toy, does the job but don’t expect too much out of it, I probably wouldn’t replace it if it broke tomorrow, as I barely use it very much anyway, it's quite old and outdated now…
    I’ve had better footage out of regular cheap digital cameras gaffa taped to the side of a helmet…
    But use it often enough and you’ll probably shoot a few second of reasonable footage for you-tube…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Handlebar/helmet cam etc.???’ is closed to new replies.