Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • handlebar tape help wanted(darkside content)
  • adey205
    Free Member

i've just taken delivery of my new toy(2010 merida 901 18sp)and i'm finding the bar tape really uncomfortable on longer rides.
    any suggetions as to what's good to buy would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance. adey

ajc
    Free Member

MTFU

adey205
    Free Member

wish i could, but my hands are my job 😀

bassspine
    Free Member

try specialized bar phat with either 2.5mm or 4mm thick silicone pads under the tape. mmmm comfy.

crazy-legs

Another recommendation for the Bar Phat stuff from Specialized. I'd go for the 2.5mm padding personally as the 4mm one really is PHAT! Can actually be too much if you've got small hands.
    I use it on my cross bike, it works wonders at damping down the vibrations.

Merak

You could double wrap it. I believe the pros do for the rougher classics.

BigDummy
    Free Member

my hands are my job

So much potential here… I'll start. Do you play the trombone?

ourmaninthenorth

How do you mean by uncomfortable? Do you mean the surface of the tape (i.e. it's rough, lumpy, whatever) or that riding on bar tape with a rigid fork and a front tyre at 120psi is painful?

The former, just wear some gloves.

The latter, just, er, wear some gloves.

I run tyres at up to 140psi on my good bike, and only wear gloves in the winter.

MTFU indeed.

😀

gonetothehills
    Free Member

+1 for the Phat bar tape. What I've done is put the pads on the tops and around the hoods area, but not on the drops. It does add a bit of weight but is worth it in my opinion. The tape itself is good quality too.

The-Badger
    Free Member

The advice above is good – there are other makes of under bar padding also. 4mm could be too much, and add to the discomfort if you have small hands.I'd also change to cork tape if you've not already got it. On mine I just have a simple strip of tape along the top of the top of the hbar (not underneath) then wrap as normal – its amazing the differnce such a small amount makes.

You could try gel cork tape chain reaction has lots of options.

Oh and move you hands around more, you've got lots of places to put your hands – use them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘handlebar tape help wanted(darkside content)’ is closed to new replies.