Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Handlebar length question for roadies
  • bones76
    Free Member

I’m in the process of giving my road bike a service and I’m replacing the usual chainrings, cassette and chain etc but am considering changing my handlebar as I’ve had a deda carbon bar sat about for ages as I got for free last year off a friend, the thing is and one of the reasons I never used last year was the width is 46cm and my usual bar is 42cm and I’m wondering what if any differences I would notice? Will it make the bike handling any worse or any better?

I’m only considering using because I have it and can and for no other reason except it’s new and looks good imo

Any thoughts on the above post appreciated

rOcKeTdOg

slower handling, lower at the front (if keeping the stem the same height), increased weight on your arms as they’ll be splayed wider

lots of manufacturers measure their bars differently though i.e. from the outside to out side/inside to inside etc so they might not be as wide as you think

Picto
    Free Member

A good few manufacturers’ with the advent of aerodynamic road frames, are fitting narrower bars to maximise aero gains.

If the bar width you have feels right for you I would stay with it.

bones76
    Free Member

I think I will stick with what I have then as I have no issues with the 42cm width

Anyone want to buy the Deda 46cm….? Brand new never used?! Lol

Thanks for the replies people

munded

Try it, I didn’t have problems with my 42s but tried some 46s, never went back. Hold them up to your shoulders and compare, my arms were happier being straighter and not going in like on the 42s. Surprised me how much happier upper body felt. Had to tip saddle back a tiy bit to take weight off hands but otherwise grand.

premier
    Free Member

Deda measure outside to outside so a 46 is actually a 44 so might not be as big a jump unless your going off how they actually measure of course!

benji
    Free Member

I run 46 fizik bars on my CX, but they are measured centre to centre. Run 42 on my road bike.

Some manufacturer’s measure outside to outside so come up narrow compared to brands who measure centre to centre, you might want to check this before you make a final decision.

rOcKeTdOg

Some manufacturer’s measure outside to outside so come up narrow compared to brands who measure centre to centre, you might want to check this before you make a final decision.

Is there an echo in here?

chakaping
    Free Member

This dude might have them off you…

eshershore
    Free Member

if your 42cm bar is right for you, sell the spare bar and put the money towards a new 42cm if you need one?

This is of course, assuming you are riding the right width bar to start with!

We do a lot of road bike fitting, and bar width is one of those things that makes a massive difference on a road bike, arguably more than on a mountain bike

It’s not uncommon during fitting sessions when a customer buys a bike, to swap out the bars to suit the customer, we would not charge to swap the bar for same quality, our workshop time and bar tape, the bike needs to be right

benji
    Free Member

Is there an echo in here?

Sorry, rocket doggy, just got typing away, and forgot you had already mentioned this, please accept my humble apology, or my first born for breakfast 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I had a thought today on the turbo that I may be better with narrower bars. With the bars wider it was comfier to weight my hands more. Bringing them in seemed to put less strain on my core.

plop_pants
    Free Member

How much for the bars Bones? Are they 31.8 stem clamp?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Handlebar length question for roadies’ is closed to new replies.