Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Handle bar diameters
  • smartay

I enquired at my local LBS about a shorter stem for my Rockhopper, going from a 100mm to 70mm, however they said that the norm is to have 31mm bars whereas mine is 25mm.
    Is this correct and if so new bars required, a chance to try 700mm bars then!

crispedwheel
    Free Member

LBS trying to pull a fast one. Bars/stem can be either standard clamp size (25.4mm) or oversized (OS 31.8), you can still get plenty of bars and stems in either – there's no 'norm'. My guess would be that LBS only had OS stems in stock and tried to BS you.

clubber
    Free Member

It's the 'norm' for the latest stuff I reckon but definitley not the norm overall.

they probably just didn't have the right length stem in non-OS…

smartay

Thanks for the above comments, has anyone fitted the Cyclelife/Outland D31-eight bar stem grip setup. Seems good value all in at £40ish.

I think STW used these with the multi use article acouple of monthe ago

cookeaa

Your bars are just as Normal as OS 31.8mm,

sounds like the LBS Gibbon is just too lazy to find a 25.4mm Clamped stem…

There's about a million available…

juan
    Free Member

or you could buy a 31.8 and get it shimmed…

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I have a 28.4mm bar, am I normal too?

clubber
    Free Member

No, you're weird 😉

Baldysquirt

I've got a Tioga O-bone stem in 80mm 25.4 clamp I could send you for about £8 posted if you're interested. 1 week's use. Email in profile if you want it.

mk1fan
    Free Member

smartay,

The Outland bar and stem combo is very good. I found the bars had too much rearward sweep for my liking but they maynot be for you. Stem was robust although the bolts were porly finished and started to rust slightly.

To be fair I find it odd that an lbs didn't have a 70mm 'normal' stem. That said there are plenty around on e-bay, in Halfords, Evans etc… No need to spend £40 on a new bar/stem combo.

juan
    Free Member

I have a 28.4mm bar, am I normal too?

Nope but it's not very common though.

Juan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Handle bar diameters’ is closed to new replies.