• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Handing in a notice at work
  • Offroading
    Free Member

Howdy,

I’ve never done this before so i am looking for some advice on the best way to approach the situation.

In short:

I like my job (master mechanic) i just hate the place i work. This is due to:

The equipment we have is dangerous and in serious need of repair (which they won’t do)
    They refuse to provide safety equipment despite it being illegal not to do so.
    The actual workshop is a disgrace, 1 (yes 1) of the 32 overhead lights work, power sockets are broken open with exposed live wiring etc
    The Company owner has his son running the branch i work in and he is on a permanent ego trip. We haven’t been getting on for some time now.

Now i have worked there for some time and i need the reference for my new job.

Whats the best reason to say im leaving without causing trouble ? And how do i go about it, hand it to/email it to the owner or the branch manager ?

Thanks

craigxxl
    Free Member

Just say you have been offered a better job, monies tight and you can’t afford to refuse it. Wish him well and that you’re sorry to go (even if it is a lie) but needs must.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just write a couple of lines saying you are handing in your notice with immediate effect, you will work your notice period if required and thank them for the time you had there.

No need to say any more, no matter how you feel about them right now.

Ohh, and hand in the letter by hand to your line manager.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Do you have a contract? If you do, then have a look at it and see what the terms and conditions of it are.

You’ll be surprised, but you don’t have to give a reason for why you’re leaving because it’s none of their business why you’re leaving (unless you’ve stolen the formula for Coca Cola and are leaving to start Doca Cola or some such). Each job I’ve left has been with a letter or e-mail along the lines of “my notice period starts now as I’m leaving this place. Please let me know if you have any concerns”.

Make sure you have everything in writing. If using a letter, then registered post perhaps.

If you have an HR department, then CC them on it. If you’re worried about the owner’s son causing you trouble then copy them both in on the letter/e-mail and address them both in it.

deserter
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, I’m a mechanic and most places I’ve left just stating I’m moving on, its been a pleasure but I’m ready for something new, I always work my notice as if it was my 1st day and I’m welcomed back often asked if I want to come back

ps mechanics move around a lot in my experience so don’t fret too much

pps it sounds like a terrible job so move on without hesitation, if you have only had one job and they won’t give a reference your new employer will be flexible as a lot of places won’t give reference’s anympre anyway, it looks good that you have been somewhere for a long time also so you can’t have been a bad un

deserter
    Free Member

Oh and I would just go in with a letter in the morning

stumpyjon

References don’t count for much these days, they are usually purely factual, i.e. x work her for y years, earned z and was sick y times. Anything nasty and they leave themselves open to being sued.

Keep your resignation letter short, professional and polite.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what they say nic epolite and short
    get your reference get your new jo and seriously report to the HSE
    It is an accident waiting to happen

project
    Free Member

Report your managenments failures to the local council enforcement team, and health and safety office, then for added impact put it on here for all to read.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Dont burn any bridges- short term satisfaction can bite you on the arris later on

breadcrumb

You could send an anonymous letter to H&S, see if a visit from them improves working conditions before jacking in?

rattrap
    Free Member

Why leave? better for you and everyone else if it gets put right!

Given the safety issues you’ve listed, you owe it to your workmates to report it, before one of them gets hurt.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/workplace-complaints.htm

Junkyard
    Free Member

hand in your notice then injure yourslelf on equipment and sue them for loss of earnings etc …that will learn em

scaled
    Free Member

Just put the employers details up here. One of the hand wringers will be duty bound to report it.

sbob
    Free Member

Due to changes in personal circumstances…
    it is with regret…
    I wish the company all success in the future…

Never burn bridges.

Offroading
    Free Member

I have thought about HSE, but even if that was improved nothing will improve the branch managers attitude and lack of common sense.

jwt
    Free Member

As already mentioned above, never burn your bridges.
    And try to have something to go to first.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Handing in a notice at work’ is closed to new replies.