Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Hand shaking Etiquette at interview
  • Mounty_73

Can somebody clear up the etiquette for hand shaking before and after a panel interview?

Do you shake the hands of all panel interviewers before and after the interview??

SidewaysTim

Only shake hands with the strongest male. Crush him.
    If there are any ladies present (shouldn’t be, what can they possibly know?) then bow and kiss their hand – they love that stuff.

binners

This is the question you should really be asking

We’re all cosmopolitan metrosexuals nowadays, aren’t we?

maccruiskeen

Fist bump on the way in, that thing cowboys do where the tip the brim of their hat with their six shooter, having just cleaned up the town, on the way out.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i dont know who you are sideways tim… but you just stole what i was going to post pretty much word for word

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!

mt
    Free Member

Good advice Tim, remember that once you have shaken anyone’s hand at an interview let them see you use a disinfectant hand cleaner. That should let them know you are a detail person.

Seriously, shake everyone hand. It always seems polite to me. Good luck.

IHN

Do you shake the hands of all panel interviewers before and after the interview??

Sensible answer – Of course you do, you do a ‘pleased to meet you’ handshake on the way in and a I look forward to hearing from you’ one on the way out.

Not sensible answer – do a running high five along all of them

thegreatape
    Free Member

mt – Member
    Good advice Tim, remember that once you have shaken anyone’s hand at an interview let them see you use a disinfectant hand cleaner. That should let them know you are a detail person.

But make sure it’s this one…

…which you can buy here http://www.firebox.com/product/5351/Maybe-You-Touched-Your-Genitals-Hand-Sanitizer

maccruiskeen

But make sure it’s this one…

Then drink the rest of the sanitiser to steady your nerves

tarquin
    Free Member

Crusher shake here, nobody likes a limp one!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

* Take whichever hand is offered first.
    * Clamp your hand around it with a vice like grip – you should be aiming to stop circulation, so squeeze hard!
    * Pull whoever it is you have hold of towards you in one firm, purposful movement so that they are almost pressed against you
    * Lick the side of their face in one slow, steady movement – lick from chin to ear for best effect.
    * Release the hand/person
    * Sit down as if nothing has happened.
    * Report back to STW with how the interview went

theblackmount
    Free Member

Throw caution to the wind and go for a full on Masonic handshake.

samuri
    Free Member

Run down the row of people slapping their hands really hard.

This will let them know you are someone who can accomplish tasks quickly and know how to apply a firm hand to the job in question.

If you’re feeling particularly sure of your self, run down the back of the row giving them all a good clip on the arse to let them know you’re a team player. [1]

[1] No, select one who doesn’t get a slap on the arse, just stroke them.

samuri
    Free Member

But I’ve just read one of the comments above.

Turning up with a cowboy hat on could be the way forward.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

for the love of god make sure you wear a bluetooth ear piece, it’s makes you look dynamic and business like, arrange for a friend to call you 20 mins after getting there, again, you’ll look like a high flyer and the kind of person they want in the team. (be sure to take your friends call)

wilko1999
    Free Member

Fresh Prince meets Jazzy Jeff greeting Bel-Air stylee

This works best if the interviewer reciprocates but is much funnier if he doesn’t

patriotpro
    Free Member

Offer your hand then as they head interviewer reaches for your hand, put your thumb to your nose and do that childish “ner-ner-ner-ner” thing you did to your brother or sister as a kid.

RoterStern
    Free Member

PMSL at thegreatape picture! Very funny 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Finish with a full on “Mussolini”, fart then leave the room doing the Morcambe & Wise dance.

Good luck.

johnellison
    Free Member

Seriously though –

It’s always polite to at least offer a handshake – but DON’T use you best Optimus Prime vice-like death grip, it makes you look like you’re trying to dominate the interviewer/panel. This isn’t good.

On the other hand nobody (least of all me) likes the “dead haddock” handshake – i.e. cold, clammy and limp.

Firm but friendly is best, and make sure your hands are warm but not sweaty. Sit on them while you’re waiting if they’re cold.

Alternatively, just whip it out and start helicoptering.

nicko74

If at all possible, make sure that your hand is both sweaty and cold, so that you’re really very memorable.

Seriously though, follow their lead. If you go in and start trying to shake everyone’s hands if it’s not offered, you look like one of those bellends at the start of each season of the Apprentice, trying to show that they’re the boss. You’re not (yet), so don’t push it

jekkyl

you’ve seen mallrats?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Go for the high five, just make sure they are ready for it so you don’t palm them in the mush.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t forget some gentle cupping as well. It’s traditional.

binners

Good call jekkyl

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfVVjpVZP8I[/video]

Flash
    Free Member

I’m rather keen if I am shaking a blokes hand on a firm, not gorilla like grip, whilst looking him in the eye.

If it is a lady, slightly less firm with a long lingering sniff of the back of her hand.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I tend to shake everybody’s hand by default on arrival and leaving, if they’re in easy range- clambering over the furniture in your eagerness to reach them is probably unnecessary.

I’ve never been on an interview panel but a crushing handshake never makes a good impression on me- it’s all a bit alpha male which is a bit lame IMO (unless you’re interviewing to be a cage fighter or something of course).

Coyote
    Free Member

If it is a lady, slightly less firm with a long lingering sniff lick of the back of her hand.

Leaves a more lasting impression. Trust me. 8)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Hand shaking Etiquette at interview’ is closed to new replies.