Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hand Pain
  • Morris
    Free Member

After about 45 mins of riding i’m getting an ache in my hands. The affected area is on the outside of my palms, just below the knuckle of my little finger.

It feels as though i’m resting the weight of my body on this area whilst riding.

So many variables I change, what should I start with?

mikey74
    Free Member

Try loosening your grip on the bars; try rotating your bars so that you reduce the pressure on the effected area; try some new, softer grips; try some gloves with thicker material on the palms.

I tried these things when I had a similar problem, and it eventually went away.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Bigger (i.e. thicker) grips sorted the exact same issue out for me!

These are now the ones I use and they are great…. CLICKY! 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Gloves or no gloves? If no gloves then you may find that those with padding over the heel of the hand, such as the Spesh ones with padding over the ulnar area, could help alongside Mikey’s advice. Interesting you’ve said you feel like you’re resting your weight on the area, you might be, and you may find raising the cockpit area helps, either with a higher stem or bars with a higher rise.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Reduce your cockpit , sits you up more takes the weight off, I have the same thing if the bike is slightly to long.

wwaswas

try some Ergon grips (and relaxing your death grip a bit)

epicyclo

I find drop bars give me enough positions to rest my hands. You also don’t need a death grip on them even over rough stuff. Hard to do hydro brakes with them though – road BB7s work though.

This will explain it better than I can.

mikey74
    Free Member

You don’t need, and shouldn’t have a “death grip” on mountain bike bars.

I find drop bars give me enough positions to rest my hands. You also don’t need a death grip on them even over rough stuff. Hard to do hydro brakes with them though – road BB7s work though.

This will explain it better than I can.

Hahaha that link just sound like someone trying to justify their inability to adapt from road bikes to mountain bikes and using it to create their own niche.

Each to their own.

To the OP: I would try other methods first, before you try the drop bar “look at me I’m different” thing.

baldSpot
    Free Member

cut the offending hand off

epicyclo

[mikey74 – Member
    …To the OP: I would try other methods first, before you try the drop bar “look at me I’m different” thing.

I’d agree about trying other methods first, it’s a lot of hassle getting dropbars to work with current mtb components. A good sweep back like a Mary bar makes a difference, but the positions are limited on that bar.

Bear in mind that there is a longer history to riding offroad with dropbars than there is with straight bars. Straight bars only exist because of the inadequacy of the stems on early mtbs to stop the bar rotating under pressure.

Presumably the OP is looking for a way to be able to ride his bike and won’t be concerned what fashionista pea-brains think.

closetroadie
    Free Member

Service your forks.

Make sure your gloves are not tight.

Try a few different grips.

Morris
    Free Member

Thanks for the info! I dont wear any specially padded gloves but i might try the spech ones.

I wouldnt say I have a death grip either but tomorrow I will consciously relax more.

I’ve often thought about raising the height of my handlebars by adding an extra spacer. It definitely feels as though im resting my weight on my bars.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hand Pain’ is closed to new replies.