• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Kip.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hand held pressure gauge – recommend me one
  • Kip

So, I often ride to my trails on the road which means I pump my tyres right up before leaving the house. Once at the trail head I then bleed air out until it reaches the optimum pressure, which I measure using the incredibly accurate squeeze test.

Last week it came to my attention that this may not be the best method after it turned out my estimation of 20psi turned out to be about 12! I rolled over roots beautifully but by ‘eck the uphills were a slog. So anyway, I am now looking for a small pressure gauge to take out with me.

I have checked reviews for at the SKS one but you have to take it off and put it back on once you’ve bled air out, which makes the bleed valve pointless. The Topeak one is meant to be really faffy to put on and off with loads of pressure being lost. The Schwalbe one doesn’t have a bleed valve and so on. I haven’t actually tried any of these, I am just going on reviews.

Do any of you use one and if so which one? I want something small, useful and pretty accurate.

Over to you, Singletrack massive!

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve the TopPeak digital gauge. About the size of a CO2 inflator cylinder. Not noticed it being “faffy” and you lose about 0.5psi each time you check. Not tried any of the others you mention.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve got a wee schwalbe one, which seems to be very accurate, but I wish it had a bleed air button. Other than that it’s very good.

I sometimes do a decent ride after work on my MTB instead of my commuter, which involves about 10 miles on country roads, then 15 miles on trails to my house. The gauge means I can wallop 40psi in the tyres for all the tarmac stuff, then accurately drop it down to my chosen 17F/20B for the good bits.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hooli

Surely a pump with a gauge is best? Saves carrying something else and if you drop them too low you will need a pump anyway to top them up.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Have used the topeak gauge and liked it so I’d recommend that one and find ti much more accurate than relying on the foot pump gauge or the gauge on small emergency pump I use. Given I dont use it much but in your situation i’d use it more!

igm

Halfords do a reasonable one.

Kip

Apparently the gauges on mini pumps are notoriously inaccurate and anyway I have 2 of them and would rather not buy another.

Does the Topeak have a bleed valve that works without having to take it off and put it on again?

jimw
    Free Member

The Oxford digital gauge does what you want it to. Also much easier to use than the Topeak one. One of the settings allows you to see the drop in pressure when you use the bleed valve. I have had mine for a couple of years including being in my pack for a week in the alps being used by my friends all the time- still works perfectly. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Digital-Digi-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B000R5B2R8

I am not by the way suggesting you get it from Amazon, just the easiest link!

njee20
    Free Member

Just ride at your ‘normal’ psi on the road?! Far easier.

Kip

That raises the next question: Does a low tyre pressure make road riding harder? Roadies would suggest yes.

njee20
    Free Member

IME not enough for me to want to faff about with mini pumps are pressure gauges and such.

Doing a 50 mike road ride, yes. 10 miles to and from the trails, no way.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As ever, each to their own. Takes me less than a minute to drop my pressure though, so hardly a ‘faff’.

Kip

Not a faff for me either, not now I have just bought the recommended Oxford gauge. Reviews read well too. Hopefully happy rider! Cheers for all your help.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hand held pressure gauge – recommend me one’ is closed to new replies.