Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Hand espresso machine
  • maycontainnuts

Saw this I think on FB, but googled the link and found this

leverpresso

I have an aeropress for travel, but I’m a bit underwhelmed with it. Thinking this might be worth a punt.

What does STW say? Good, bad, indifferent, or bindun and I’ve missed it.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I have a minipresso that looks similar

xherbivorex
    Free Member

what is underwhelming about the aeropress for you? granted, it can’t really make a proper espresso,, but i find it makes damn fine coffee every time…

Harry_the_Spider

The achingly cool people in the video would put me right off.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If it works, it actually looks rather neat.

I also have an aeropress for camping – it’s very good for making nice sludge free coffee – but I’ve found only by using he inversion method. Just using it normally is hardly better than cafetière coffee.

These kinds of things are useful if they are easily portable, work without scaring the bejeesus out of you (I’m always a little concerned using the aeropress – putting boiling water under that much pressure with hands etc so close) and above all are mess-free and require minimal cleaning afterwards. The last thing there is why I like the aeropress. Just push out the coffee puck at the end, a quick wipe of the plungey rubbery thing and it’s clean.

Cougar

You make coffee with boiling water? You monster.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As I was typing “boiling” I thought, “I wonder who’ll bite…”

Cougar

I’m here all week.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If it helps though Darcy, i can say with the certainty of experience, that when spilt on your hands, water at 83°C is indistinguishable from water at 100°C.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Bit on the pricey side, but i’ve been tempted to try one of these:
    https://handpresso.co.uk/collections/handpresso-pump/products/copy-of-handpresso-pump-set-silver

Anyone have any experience with them?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

look similar to the Cafflano Kompresso

Which appears to have started shipping, anyone one here received one?

al2000

I’ve got one of these :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LY0BIUM/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

The coffee it makes is alright, and the risk of third degree burns is acceptably low.

ebygomm
    Free Member

That’s very similar to what i have al2000.

Bought primarily for camping, but just took it away on holiday and used it all week. No issues with it in my hand luggage.

Pyro

I’ve just got a Minipresso (Amazon linky). Impressed so far, needs proper Espresso ground coffee but pulls a decent shot. Might buy the bigger water tank for it to extend the shot a bit, but it’s simple to use, easy to clean, and makes a decent coffee. Should work well for camping, it’s roughly the same size as an Aeropress packed down.

(And makes choosing that bit more complicated, between that and the drip pot, stove top, Aeropress, Hario V60, GSI filter, Cypriot coffee brewer, Press-bot for Nalgene…)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quite like the look of that. You might actually get a half decent espresso from it. Though camping for me these days usually involves an electrical hook up so have a cheap pod machine I use for such trips. Otherwise I would be quite tempted.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

fifeandy – yes, not the full kit in your link, just the coffee making bit. It was a few years ago and it only took ESE pods (available from Coffee Royale who I bought from with no problems). Built like a tank, pump like a bike pump to build up a fairly substantial pressure (16 bar IIRC) producing a strong dark coffee with rich creamy crema. very consistent results and nothing to lose (apart from the whole thing, which I managed to do whilst traveling). The newer ones can take your own coffee as well as pods, so I’m tempted. The minipresso others have linked to is a bit more faff, a lot less consistent and if you lose the spoon, their customer service is shockingly poor (also, the seal burst after 2 cups, replaced under warranty but made me wonder about build quality) – wouldn’t recommend.

EDIT, in fact this got me looking on fleabay, and I found this this and ordered one

mrjmt
    Free Member

1:17 in the video, 2 handed croissant eating. I’m out.

thenorthwind

I had a Handpresso as a present a few years ago. It was a disaster from start to finish. Neither of the two supplied seals could reliably prevent it from spraying boiling water in a 360 degree plane at 15bar. Various replacement seals I tried were equally poor.

You could also only use it with a certain type of pods, which never quite fitted right.

This was a good 6-7 years ago so they must have improved (certainly you can use your own coffee).

The final (self-inflicted) insult was when I sold the accessories on eBay (which to be fair would have paid for an Aeropress were one available at the time) and the pump for parts. I went to post the pump and realised I must have sent it to the buyer of the case. In Bulgaria.

Aeropress all the way for me now.

thenorthwind

1:17 in the video, 2 handed croissant eating. I’m out.

Ed Milliband might be in though.

DrJ

I bought a Handpresso for camping and was so impressed that I bought a kitchen espresso machine that uses ESE pods. It is a bit of a faff so making more than 2 cups of espresso would be tiresome.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

What we really need guys is someone to combine one of these portable espresso makers with a ghetto tubeless tyre inflator. 😀

Davesport

Mrs davesport very kindly bought me a Wacaco Minipresso

I was prepared for disapointment. However it makes good espresso that I enjoy drinking. Not quite as good as the Sylvia but consistent with great crema.

Happy to recommend 😀

tjagain

I have a bilatti mini espresso like this. Its good and its nice coffee

househusband

Bit on the pricey side, but i’ve been tempted to try one of these:
    https://handpresso.co.uk/collections/handpresso-pump/products/copy-of-handpresso-pump-set-silver

Anyone have any experience with them?

Yeah, I’ve had one for a few months and am very pleased with it. Breaks are so bloody short at work that with it I can at least make (what I consider a decent) espresso mid-morning. I bought the pink one as it was on offer at the time but it is a bit unfortunate in appearance…

I use pods at work and Lavazza at home; the latter is nicer and does have a nice crema.

Whereabouts in Fife are you..? They’re a bit of an investment so I’d happily make you one with it so you can see what you think. Bet you don’t get strange men offering you an espresso every day, eh..?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Update on the ground coffee handpresso. With ese pods it’s excellent but with ground coffee it’s a faff and doesn’t make particularly good coffee. I was using a Vietnamese bean and have just changed back to my more usual Brazillian beans, might make a difference. Another thing might be a decent tamper, but **** paying £30 for the handresso one. A Wacaco minipresso was far better with ground coffee

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Hand espresso machine’ is closed to new replies.