Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hand cramps
  • rondo101
    Free Member

Just got back from doing W2 at afan. Fantastic day, but for the last 6 miles or so I was really suffering with cramps in the little finger and ring finger of my left hand. It was so bad by the end of zigzags that I had to straighten “the claw” with my other hand.

Am I doing something wrong? Are there any exercises or kit upgrades that will help? Or should I just mtfu?

In case it’s important, I’ve got ritchey low riser carbon bars and ritchey foam grips on a HT. Brakes are set inboard of shifters to allow 1 finger braking.

ahwiles
    Free Member

thicker grips.

someone will be along shortly to say exactly the opposite, but it worked for me, and your symptoms sounds exactly the same as mine.

(ring and little finger painfully locked in ‘the claw’)

i now use sunline thick grips.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Dehydration?

Seriously, if your getting cramp in yer hands it’s a sign of dehydration.

ahwiles
    Free Member

we don’t have muscles in our fingers, so it can’t be cramp.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Vulcan death grip on the bars?

jronald01
    Free Member

I use Ergon grips running the top part almost flat (parallel to the ground) and they give great support. They’re pricey though and I’d assume the cheaper ergo type grips do much the same job.

What you gain in comfort and support, you might lose in control though since your pinky and ring finger sit more “on” rather than round the grip.. Some people don’t get on with them, some people do!

Jim

_tom_
    Free Member

I get this.. I think the problem is holding onto the bars too tight.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i used to, now i don’t.

have you tried thicker grips?

coatesy
    Free Member

Used to suffer those symptoms for a day or two after hot and sweaty rides, a post ride bottle of Go electrolyte helped sort it. Laying off the death-grip on the bars and brakes may also help:)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hand cramps’ is closed to new replies.