Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hand built roadie wheel options.? Light weight and sub £200.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What rim and hub combos are out there that don’t cost a bomb but come in surprisingly light.? Is there anything out there to rival factory built.?

warton
    Free Member

define light?

ultegra hubs on open pro rims could be had for around 200, maybe more like 250, but hardly light – about 1800g

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Sub 1800 would be nice, I’m not expecting 1500 for that money.

nedrapier

I had a good look round when I was looking for wife’s bike. Couldn’t find anything more appealing than factory Ultegra wheelset. Wiggle was cheapest then.

jkomo

Superstar would be my first look.
    I paid £150 for similar in 25% off sale.
    Excellent service when I had a problem.

scud
    Free Member

Not hand built, but these seem to get consistently good reviews. Just over 1500g and £184

https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/products/wheels/cero-ar24-alloy-road-wheelset-bundle

nerd
    Free Member

I built a pair of wheels that weigh less than 1400 grams for slightly less than £200.

Rims: Kinlin XR19W (~400g per rim and cheap on eBay)
    Spokes: Sapim laser front and NDS, race for DS
    Hubs: Mr Ride ebay specials

I built them 20F/24R ‘cos I’m a lightweight (63kg).

The rims and spokes are good quality, not too sure about the hubs. You could replace them with more substantial ones, such as Novatec or Miche for the same price and about 100g more.

I built them myself – which obviously reduces the cost a fair bit.

vmgscot

I’d speak with someone like Harry Rowland (I did and not regretted it)

TiRed

I’d speak with someone like Harry Rowland (I did and not regretted it)

This. Harry builds great wheels. Expect Novatech, sapim spokes and Open Pros. Will be sub 1700g.

milfordvet
    Free Member

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WBAMEXLIZE/ambrosio-excellight-700c-rim-handbuilt-on-ambrosio-zenith-endurance-wheelset

These should be good…Ambrosio Excellight rims on Ambrosio hubs, DB spokes. In 32h guise easily serviced/ parts replaced. Hand built £187.50 after 25% off.

zanelad
    Free Member

Another thumbs up for Harry Rowland. The second pair I’ve bought from him arrived today. Look great and we’ll built as before.

I didn’t go for the lightest, I wanted strength above all else, but they don’t seem that heavy to me.

£160 for a pair of hand made wheels compares more than favourably to some off the shelf ones from my LBS.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve got some Superstar built Pacenti SL23s on their branded Novatech hubs that fit your spec. Only buy with 25% discount or in two weeks time you will feel like you’ve been ripped off.
    Black Friday and Xmas sales coming soon.
    My wheels are built light and tale my svelte 90kg across the rough Trough of Bowland roads without a grumble.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

according to the magazine adverts of old, Dave Hinde builds great wheels.

Duc
    Free Member

Pete Mathews or Harry Rowland for builders
    Miche Primato hubs are good hubs and the price increase from Novatecs is noticeable in terms of build quality and how long the bearings last – its about 30 – 40 quid difference and I’ve had to change Novatec bearings in half the time my Miche hubs went for so the price difference was zero really when you actually ride them.

The Ambrosio hubs and rim setups you can get look good too.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Looking at self building. I’ve built many pairs of wheels for customers but never really paid attention to weights, only built what I’ve been asked to build which is normally some kind of shimano hub on a mavic rim.

taxi25
    Free Member

He did !! Shame he didn’t stick to wheel building 🙁

ampthill

Mine needed retensioning by the LBS in no time….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mine are sokin (novatec, mr ride etc), dt rev (24h, 28h), stans alpha rims. I think theyre 1250g. They were about £200.

TBH rims make the most difference, and shimano 5800 hubs are about the same price and more of a known quantity. So I’d build those into any half decent rim and not stress too much about weight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I went for 105 rear and sokin front, Ali free hub body would just irritate me. As would low spoke counts.

Open pros were great in their day, 20 years ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hand built roadie wheel options.? Light weight and sub £200.?’ is closed to new replies.