Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Hand-built Carbon Road Frame
  • So Im keen for a project and as I can’t find what i want in an off the shelf bike ive been thinking about making myself a carbon road frame.

I want it to be aerodynamic with internal cable routing and be able to run disk brakes. I guess that means 135mm rear dropout spacing. I would also like to be able to run larger tyres for cyclocross or just gravel roads as im in NZ and find i regularly could have more interesting rides if i could link up various sections via dirt roads.

I really like the look of the BMC TMR02 so something along those lines but disc compatible. Ive never built anything from carbon before so how realistic is this and would I end up with anything worth riding?

Im happy to run it with road geometry though as the off road wont be anything challenging. Also are large tyre clearances and aerodynamics at all compatible?!

andyl
    Free Member

Anything is possible.

I would suggest you try and make a few small parts first and go from there. One thing I would think twice about is forks. The frame is actually easier than forks and the consequences of failure are also worse for forks IMO.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Check out http://www.easycomposites.co.uk for advice, materials and courses.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

Agreed about the forks, I would be a lot more nervous riding on home-built forks than the frame.

What kind of parts would you suggest? Things like bottle cages?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Hand-built Carbon Road Frame’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts