Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hand Arthritis – new grips ?
  • keng38
    Free Member

It seems I have arthritis in my middle two knuckles on my left hand.
    Currently in alot of pain (waiting a cortisone injection) which will hopefully sort it.
    Can anyone confirm if a wider style grip would be helpful longer term?
    Like these?

Brainflex

I went for narrower grips as I found it easier to wrap my hand around and hold on to. Wide grips relied more on grip strength.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

A grip that fits your hand size is important. I wonder if a carbon bar would help considering they can do a lot of vibration dampening.

white101

Getting loads of pain in my right hand since I started riding my road bike a lot more, thinks it the change in position and the gear changing flick of the hand. Lots more aches and pains in both hands of late think a trip to doc May be needed, don’t get the pains as much on the mtb

fin25
    Free Member

I have arthritis in both hands, mainly affecting my knuckles. I tried a lot of different grips, including the ergons. I’ve found that ESI Chunky grips cause the least pain. I’m with frosty, carbon bars may make more of a difference, or get bar ends, loop bars or something that allows you to change hand position.
    I’m afraid you’re in for quite a lot of trial and error…

Still, on the plus side, the constant hand pain will hopefully increase your overall pain threshold… 😉

deserter
    Free Member

I got lots of hand pain and found esi chunky to dampen trail vibration etc to almost eliminate all pain even on the Dh bike

batfink
    Free Member

take a look at ODI Rogues….. super wide and squishy.

continuity
    Free Member

I’d go with esi chunkys or extra chunkys if your hands are larger.

BillOddie

ESI Chunky grips on Jones bars make my f***** up hands happy.

globalti
    Free Member

Ergon grips are excellent and very comfortable but unless you have massive hands, buy the small size. You don’t need to grip them hard because the shape fits so well to your hand.

keng38
    Free Member

Thanks guys will check them out.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Spongey grips here, plus gripshift and T-shape bar ends* all seem to help with my arthritis in thumbs and fingers.

Cane Creek Ergo Control

sofaboy73
    Free Member

as others have said, ESI chunky or super chunky. best grips i’ve used an eliminated the majority of the hand pain i was experiencing. they do cut up easily though when you crash

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hand Arthritis – new grips ?’ is closed to new replies.