Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hamsterley Forest. Rideable ???
  • moose2008
    Free Member

I’m from North Yorkshire and was just wondering if anybody knew of anywhere that was rideable. Dalby is closed and all of the riding near Swainby North Yorkshire where I live is a no go with all the snow at the moment. Does anybody know if Hamsterley is rideable and if its clear on the roads to get there.
    Cheers

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve been riding along the moors from Sutton Bank and also out of Great Ayton, Not seen a sole and great fun 😆

moose2008
    Free Member

When you say from sutton bank are you going over towards square corner ? I know some riding around roseberry topping and guisborough woods etc. near Ayton is it really rideable around there ? how deep is it?

neninja
    Free Member

My folks live not too far away and the roads round there are ok. The steep bank down to Bedburn could be pretty slippy if there is any ice around.

Not sure about hamsterley itself though – I’m planning a trip there myself so a heads up would be good to save a wasted journey.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Great Ayton its self and the tops around have about 18″ min, Hard Packed. Haven’t been to Roseberry topping, But up the Incline towards Cleveland way aren’t that bad. Didn’t go to far as it was -10 and the incline hurt.

Sutton Bank ride is alot more passable.

Visitors centre – bridleway over boltby rugg to sneck yate bank – High paradise farm – over the top towards top of kepwick – black hambleton – chequers – down rocks to sheepwash – osmotherley – pub – then repeat other way round back to visitors centre.

Haven’t had any reports in the shop about Hamsterley which is unusual. but no idea what conditions are like. Not many of the the roads are ideal driving conditions.

moose2008
    Free Member

That sounds great. I was over past chequers towards hawnby last thursday night and it was so cold my camelback pipe froze and left me gasping for a couple of hours. I stuck to the road but after your comments I’ll give it a go over the sheep wash and black hambleton off road. I’m guessing from your name that you ride single speed too, so that should mean that I can manage the ride as well.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Yup Singlespeed.

Going up Black Hambleton is a push for me most of the time. But passable for the fitest or with gears (probally not at the mo)

Its stunning across the top, Such lovely views, Especially around dusk.

neninja
    Free Member

Did Black Hambleton a couple of weeks ago and it was bitterly cold in the wind without any snow. The rocky section near the top must be tricky in either direction right now whether pushing up or riding down.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hamsterley Forest. Rideable ???’ is closed to new replies.