Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • hamsterley 121, whos doing it…? if not why haha
  • davski
    Free Member

anyboy else having a go this wknd…? iv just been up for a practice today and its rather wet but the tracks hold up well

think entrys close on wednesday…

http://www.hamsterley-trailblazers.co.uk/

this link is to the trail blazers website where u can enter

mchlptchr
    Free Member

Yep, i’m doing it!

Was also at hammers today for a spin. Slippy but solid.

Don’t normally do racing but the BBQ included in the entry fee was enough to seal the deal!

davski
    Free Member

food cant tempt anyone lol..!

i managed to smash my mech hanger off so now a mad ruch to find one!

fieldy
    Free Member

How long is the XC course and how severe is the downhill?

Start a new job on Monday???

davski
    Free Member

the dowhill isnt too bad, there will b plenty ppl doin it on hardtails, its one of the easier ones, there was a ladies race down it the other wknd and they all managed fine.

and the xc is a loop of transmission back down to the carpark 3-4 times, think itl b as many laps as you can manage in a certain time

qert6
    Free Member

The XC loop is 4 laps for seniors, masters and Vets, 3 laps for juniors and ladies. There is a 2 1/2 hr shut off though there were only a handfull over that time last year. The average lap time was about half an hour. The XC loop is not just a fire road bash, its got some of the best sections of the forest included, Transmission, Accelerator and Nitrous.

The DH is one of the easier tracks in the Decent park and can be ridden on a hard tail. Its all rollable, there were a retired couple in it last year who I think rode it all! Full face helmets are required for the DH day.

Its a really relaxed atmosphere and with camping and a BBQ included its a good weekend out.

Also Every entry gets put into a draw for an Orange Crush frame, extra tickets are available separatly at £2 each over the weekend.

Entries close at midnight so last chance to enter online today at
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/77281/Hamsterley-1-2-1-Race

neil853
    Free Member

Why is the FF mandatory?

qert6
    Free Member

Full face is for insurance purposes on the downhill course
    Obviously you can ride the XC with a standard lid.

neil853
    Free Member

That’s a bit cack, I did the gravity enduro there with an open face.

qert6
    Free Member

Maybe its just because we’ve called it a down hill day, and the enduro doesnt. Regardless a full face isnt that much of a hardship is it for a 2-3 minute run? If its holding people back from entering then we could look further into it for next year.

jonny-m
    Free Member

It is if you have to go and buy one!

neil853
    Free Member

It is if you have to go and buy one!

Sorry but I’m afraid this^

mchlptchr
    Free Member

They have some ff helmets available to borrow.

qert6
    Free Member

Anybody who would have entered if you didnt need a FF?

qert6
    Free Member

From the british cycling Mounting biking rules. For events associated with BC looks like FF is needed for down hill racing.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/corporate/Rulebook_2012_-_06-MOUNTAIN_BIKING.pdf

“11.1 Security
    11.1.1 Clothing/Protection
    11.1.1.1 BC cannot authorise downhill protection standards at the present time, other than for protective headgear.
    11.1.1.2 In addition, the youth of the sport of downhill racing means that certain protection items are not yet governed by formal standards.
    11.1.1.3 However, based on current experience, BC strongly recommends that riders wear the following protection:
    • Back, Elbow, Knee and Shoulder protection with a rigid surface
    • Thigh padding
    • Shin padding
    • Long pants
    • Long sleeved shirts
    • Full finger gloves
    11.1.1.4 A full face helmet is compulsory'”

neil853
    Free Member

Then don’t call it an DH race………

qert6
    Free Member

Thats sort of the whole idea…. DH and XC combined

neil853
    Free Member

I meant why not call it an enduro dh? Listen I think it’s a great idea, it’s just it limits people entering if you need a full face. I really don’t have need for one (unless the Gravity Enduro series ask for it soon) so its just not worth buying for me personally.

neninja
    Free Member

The full face rule has stopped me entering. I’m not going to buy a new helmet for a once a year event.

qert6
    Free Member

So who would enter next year if they could hire a helmet? We’ve had a limited number of loan helmets in the past but not had many takers….

neninja
    Free Member

I wouldn’t wear a helmet if I have no idea of it’s history or how many big hits it’s taken.

qert6
    Free Member

Was meaning from a bike hire company who will have liability insurance for those using their gear. Not sure if it would be possible to get that or not but its a thought.

We’re having a round up of what we could improve and sounds like that the FF is something to look into. The format isnt really enduro, so not sure we could go down the route of renaming to get around it.

neil853
    Free Member

The Singletrack weekender works on a similar format doesn’t it? DH, XC and trials but I don’t think they require a FF for the DH?

Listen, i’m not poo pooing the event. When I’m based in the NE again I will certainly try and make it but I do think this has been an obstacle for people.

mchlptchr
    Free Member

For what its worth I did the 121 and really enjoyed the format!

I bought a FF especially for the event and think it’s right they should be mandatory considering the difficulty of the DH course compared with both the XC course and the Enduro event earlier in the year.

I’ll be back.

diggler
    Free Member

wish id seen this 4 months ago, but oh well.

As the DH is on a separate day and it is billed as a Downhill race, it falls under BC DH rulings as as gert6 noted, 11.1.1.4 A full face helmet is compulsory.

We need all riders to wear a full face so that the event is insured.

I can not fully comment on the Gravity Enduro event, but I do know that it is just finding is feet with BC and for 2013, I believe FF will be mandatory!

We have had a number of FF helmets (15) in the past for people to use and these have all gone, i have even loaned people my own personal FF.

I apologise if this sounds harsh but FF will always be a requirement for the DH!! NO helmet, NO Racing!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘hamsterley 121, whos doing it…? if not why haha’ is closed to new replies.