Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hampstead Heath
  • damo2576
    Free Member

Are there opportunities for CX (or other riding) on the Heath? I know cycles are banned from many paths but is it allowed anywhere? Not been able to find out.

ivornardon2
    Free Member

Just an urban open space. There are better places in the south east. Try Wimbledon Common. Richmond Park is just a sandy track round the perimeter.

damo2576
    Free Member

I’m moving to Hampstead though….looks like loops of Heath and Regents Park boredom!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vintagewino
    Free Member

I grew up in Belize Park down the road. We used to ride bmx on the triangular wooded bit from Whitestone Pond between the roads to highgate and Golders Green. The chat back in the day was because of the sandy soil that area was dug for sandbags during the war. No idea on the truth of that but the natural terrain was fun. Later on jumps got built but they always were pulled down. Probably still fun there though I live in Edinburgh now so I don’t know for sure. It was always fun bombing the main path on the Heath down from Whitestone pond back to the bottom of the Heath at the train station.

senorj

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=google+maps&aq=1&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&hl=en

I think vintagewino may be refering to sandy heath – theres a few jumps & bits of singletrack.Cultivated by the local rich kids with ££££’s bikes.I sometimes have a potter around there and from North wood into Kenwood & south into town.
    The majority of stuff is illegal – there are only a couple of permitted cycle paths in the heath – stray off them and if the rozzers spot you they’ll have a word.
    Best time to explore is through the week and/or very early. – even then you’ll probably encounter an amorous admirer in certain parts of the heath! 😳

damo2576
    Free Member

Thanks, will explore, selling the mtb but think I may keep the cx and see whats about.

senorj

tbh I mainly ride my cx these days – great off road options around North London for that kind of thing.

damitamit
    Free Member

senor j, interested to hear which parts.

vintagewino
    Free Member

yes, sandy heath is what I was referring to, thanks. was never ‘approached’ there, I think the dangerous bit is over the road behind Jack Straw’s Castle.

binners

George says hi

qwerty
    Free Member

(or other riding)

ssmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttyyyy

senorj

When i say north i mean north. 🙂
    Look for Monken Hadley
    & Trent park,Dollis valley way,London loop around totteridge up to Barnet .
    Herts way /white wells and in to broxbourne.
    t’other day I found another lovely bway near potters bar.
    The sustrans route 12 is sometimes a good way to go further to explore.
    On a cx I get to cover much more ground ,quicker. hope this is helpful.

timmys

No CX knowledge but in general, yep there’s a few fun bits here and there – as stated Sandy Heath is the obvious bit with some bombholey type areas. I suspect there are bits elsewhere that I never found, I believe Mr “esher shore” of this parish would be the go to man for information.

I rode Sandy Heath for three years and was probably lucky as no one ever gave me any hassle. I got shouted at once by a grumpy cow when I was descending at some speed from the top of parliament hill. I wasn’t anywhere near a path or any people but she seemed to think my tyres were going to cause untold damage to her precious bone dry grass.

Vaguely in the area, cycling is allowed in Queens Wood (but not Highgate Wood) and there is the Parkland Walk disused railway which might be useful for linking bits up. Everyone seems to know the bit between Finsbury Park and Highgate but there’s another section up by Ally Pally.

senorj

Btw it was the qwerty fella who opened my eyes to the cross bike.
    Hats off to him. 🙂
    Forgot about ally pally.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hampstead Heath’ is closed to new replies.