Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hampshire Test Valley: Army area border and accessibility
  • cinnamon_girl

Specifically looking at the right of way that runs from the A343, effectively West of Over Wallop heading North to Palestine. I don’t know whether there is shooting in this vicinity but map states Danger Area.

Is the track open when there’s military activity? It’s actually on the border which leads me to think it could be OK.

Anyone know? Thanks.

cinnamon_girl

Oh dear, I’m so bloomin’ dim. 😳 Should have posted this on the Hampshire thread.

akak
    Free Member

I have not been to that one but the ones drawn on the border are always open in my experience. Also if they red flagged that range it would cause issues for PHE so I’m not sure if they ever do.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for your reply. Could it be to do with Porton Down being close? What’s PHE?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s Porton. Here be monsters!

There’s a nice ride from Palestine, parallel to the railway and then down in to Newton Tony. Have a Malet burger and a pint of Stonehenge.

Im actually just back from a walk up around that end of OW. Assuming you mean the range road up past Croft Farm, then it’s fine all the time, just don’t go any further away from OW.

higthepig
    Free Member

Rode around ther yesterday on the Palestine side, the red flags were up but didn’t hear/see anything. Gave it a miss and rode the Portway towards Boscombe as CFH mentioned. The range is used by Porton Down and Winterbourne Gunner and is therefore probably full of radioactive rats or angry people! The woods looked really nice from a distance though, might brave it if there are no flags flying in the future.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks chaps, that does help. 🙂 That track along the railway line looks interesting – fairly flat and a bit of woodland so should suit me.

Anyone know anything about Isle of Wight Hill that’s slap bang in the middle? It reaches 174 metres – not enough to see across the Solent surely?

Is there actually any public access? There’s a long barrow, plenty of tumuli and earthworks as well as a few clumps.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Radioactive people and angry rats, akshewally.

higthepig
    Free Member

Just been there again, along the eastern and northern boundary. Given that there appears to be a sign on the fence every 30m or so warning you to keep out, I doubt it. Looks really nice and there seems to be quite a few large copses and some nice looking hill so there must be some nice riding, if only……

CFH, my bad, twas the people who were glowing 😮

cinnamon_girl

Yeah OK but it does look intriguing on the map. Not fair!

higthepig – any patrols? Bound to be some cut wire somewhere. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CG, if there’s one place to steer clear of anything cheeky, it’s the Plain, and Porton in particular!

cinnamon_girl

I’m only joking! 😉

Edited to say that sometimes being a woman with fluttering eyelashes is great. You can get away with anything … sometimes.

😆

higthepig
    Free Member

Yeah OK but it does look intriguing on the map. Not fair!
    higthepig – any patrols? Bound to be some cut wire somewhere.

Didn’t see any, lots of magpies and rooks though, probably guards in disguise or the result of some failed experiment! As MoD land goes, this area has the most comprehensive fencing and signage of any I know. I’ll just stay on the outside and look in longingly I think. Lots of other nice bits around, although they are quickly getting overgrown with nettles/brambles.

cinnamon_girl

Just a little update … was surprised at the size of the Army land and it was nicely rounded. The track beside was a pita and wouldn’t bother using again.

I went as far as Palestine where I turned off onto The Portway, an ancient trackway. Lovely through the woods and quite cooling too. Went into Porton then took the minor road out to the A30 where good views were had over the Porton Down facility.

Broughton Nature Reserve was looking particularly lovely and spotted one never seen before butterfly. There was a fantastic display of poppies too. The views from there were amazing.

I’ll gloss over about running out of fluid and struggling. 😳

allthepies
    Free Member

From Hampshire then that’s deffo into “epic” territory 😉

cinnamon_girl

😆

It was a little hamlet, rather nice too.

thomthumb
    Free Member

From Hampshire then that’s deffo into “epic” territory

palestine, egypt, canada is a hampshire epic!!

cinnamon_girl

😆

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hampshire Test Valley: Army area border and accessibility’ is closed to new replies.