Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 1,818 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • LittleNose
    Free Member

Phew… a had a ride down to Walderton and back with a mix of lanes and bridleways. Found a lovey bit of BW that was perfect for the croix de fer running down from West Marden to Walderton. But I think this is Sussex – I guess I need to head west soon to keep on topic.
    Was disappointed that most of the pubs were shut on a Sunday late afternoon. That may be the reason I need to head west.

Garage-dweller, I’ll take a look at that loop soon.

mattbee

It is lovely around the Mardens/Walderton/Kingley Vale but it is West Sussex not Hampshire!

Pub wise, on a Sunday the Hare and Hounds in Stoughton would have been open and I’m sure the Barley Mow in Walderton opens all day on a Sunday?

LittleNose
    Free Member

for info, the Barley Mow was shut, and I didn’t make it to the Hare and Hounds – I turned left up to UpMarden before getting there.

Yeah fair point, I’ll go quiet on the Sussex bits.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bez

Hare and Hounds is a great pub, and is open all day Sunday. The Queen Vic at West Marden is decent, too. Haven’t been to the Barley Mow in years, not sure what it’s like these days.

garage-dweller

@Littlenose if you can’t find it drop me a PM and I’ll see if I can find a way of creating a gpx or similar in OS maps app or from my Strava feed and send it or a link to you.

ferrals
    Free Member

@Littlenose – Grew up there many moons ago. One good option used to loop west before going south: up and through Steep, left onto a byway up stoner hill (or longer but easier just keep on the tarmac and turn left at the top), along ridgetop lane, dwon the hill to stroud, then theres a byway or a lane depending on fancy towards ramsdean and from Ramsdean up can gp along byway/bridleway up the back of ramsdean down and onto Butser hill and into QECP.

If you are after pubs to stop off at make sure you get yourself to the Harrow in steep when it warms up enough to sit in the garden. Can be linked into a ride around the hangers easily.

We also used to head through durford wood and rogate common when going eastward, not all bridleways but back in the day wasnt an issue.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

LittleNose
    Free Member

@Bez & @garage-dweller cheers… I’ll try it out next time, my only worry about the pubs so far down that way, is that it’s a long and hilly way back for me… have to say though, the pubs looked like my kinds of places.

@ferrals
    thanks for the pointers… I’ll go exploring those, and probably push up Stoner Hill at some point soon. The Harrow – now this one I’ve found already – it’s but a short walk from my house.

@bartimaeus
    I recognise that view 😉

ferrals
    Free Member

The Harrow – now this one I’ve found already – it’s but a short walk from my house.

Lucky! Probably the best pub in the world. Keep an eye out for the beer brewed with elder flowers later in the year, used to be called village elder, think its called something differnet now, from the cheriton brewery, just the thing for quenching thirst after a summer ride 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Longshot lost garmin SDW near Winchester

For the local folks – Spread the word, if you’d be so kind.

bikebouy
    Free Member

used to be called village elder, think its called something differnet now, from the cheriton brewery,

Its called Elder Ale, from the Flower Pots Brewery & Pub in Cheriton.

My (almost) local.

garage-dweller

The “pots” is a nice pub.

Been over the border today to Walderton/Kingley Vale with my two boys.

Apologies to anyone who overheard our many variations of “I know a song/parent/classmate/sibling that’ll get on your nerves” as we were riding along. It did a great job of keeping the younger one distracted from the climbing though!

blakec
    Free Member

Flasheart.

Thanks for the repost just to say it’s been found.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good to hear!

LittleNose
    Free Member

Thanks @ferrals & @bikebouy for the heads up on the Elder Ale – That sounds like something I would enjoy. @garage-dweller I think I’ll stick Cheriton on the list of destinations 😉

The weekend involved a couple of rides
    – a bimble along the old Meon railway, which was pleasant but too closed in by trees on either side to enjoy many views.
    – a quick blast around QECP blue.. enjoying those big berms

bikebouy
    Free Member

You ought to try their Spring Green they have on ATM..

Dear Lord, it’s astounding.

Hic🥴🥳🍺

ferrals
    Free Member

Hopefully get a chance before or after BITB 🙂

corroded
    Free Member

I had a pleasant pootle around the Hangers behind Petersfield yesterday, instead of my usual ride around the Downs and QECP. Nothing secret, it’s all signposted bridleways but you have to know how best to string them together. It’s a fantastic time of year with the wild garlic and bluebells everywhere.
    Anyway, an alternative to the Harrow is the Hawkley Inn, which always has a great selection of local beers. Can’t beat a summer evening in the garden there with swifts whizzing around the church spire.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Anyone planning a late ride at QECP tonight?

Metoffice predicting hail at ~2200! 😮

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcp618npj#?date=2019-07-19

If you experience this, photo pics please!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just come from a wet run there.. it’s a bit slippy 🕺

cobrakai

I bikepacked a massive 4 miles into the forest of Bere the other night. Know it well from dog walking so found a quiet spot.

A couple of beers, read my book then got my head down for 7hrs. Was back in time to get the little one ready for pre school.

I know (or think I do) most of the single track in a 6 mile radius. Now looking for good bivvy spots.

Any recommendations?

cinnamon_girl

Hampshire Open Studios running until Monday 26th August and there’s an awful lot of artists in the county. Plenty of painterists, some potters and jewellery makers too.

http://www.hampshireopenstudios.org.uk/

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Ayone able to tell me if that lane across Hyden Hill and Tegdown Hill (between East Meon Rd and the top of North Lane close to Butser) would be madness to tackle on a road bike?

One of those lanes I’ve had on my curiosity list that I regularly pass and I keep thinking “one day I’ll ride up here on the Wazoo in fat form to ride” but I’ve not been up in the South Downs on the Wazoo for ~2 years!

corroded
    Free Member

That’s the SDW. I’ve been up it (towards Butser) and down (towards Sustainability Centre) on a road bike – it’s perfectly doable but the flints get pretty big (fist-sized) for a stretch at the top end. The bit through the woods is fine. Road bike with 28mm is OK, gravel bike with 35mm is better. It’s a handy short cut if you don’t fancy the steepness of Harvesting Lane!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Cheers for the info, corroded!

Muke
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection Batman…

Out towards Up Nately

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

5 points to anyone correctly identifying the location.

cinnamon_girl

@Muke does that track lead to Five Lanes End?

@Cap’n has to be somewhere along the Test, Longstock?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not the Test…

Yak

@ Capt – the Meon?

cinnamon_girl

The Itchen? Wallop Brook?

Yak

Hmmm, Itchen – Shawford then?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No, no and no.

cinnamon_girl

Oh. Have you crossed the border then?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nope.

Definitely Hampshire.

Muke
    Free Member

@ CG – yep that’s the one, you’re good.

Yak

Hmmm. Tough stuff.

River Loddon?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nope.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

River Rother down the hill from Hawkley?

Snailing Lane and up Uplands gets a bit steep, must visit that one for a second time, sometime in 2020.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No one there yet. Test is closest, think a little further up…

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 1,818 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.