Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,822 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • Hoff

Newish to the area & just stumbled across this thread, I wondered if anyone has ridden the Test Way from Combe Gibbet to Winchester?

I’m planning riding the South Downs Way at some point & thinking of including the Test Way to avoid using the car or train

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think cg is your girl – test way to around Wherwell then across country to Winchester (eg via Farley Mount area mix of bridleways, boat and quiet-ish roads). If you are doing the SDW do you need the extra miles in your legs ? Extra day ?

brassneck

Test Way is footpath for much of it. You can link around with roads and bits easily enough, but it’ll require a bit more planning and maps if you don’t know the area well (I’m about a mile off the Coombe Gibett end)

cinnamon_girl

Hoff – you can only ride as far as Hurstborne Tarrant. Are you wanting the shortest way from CG to Winch?

Edit: if it were me I’d use Wayfarer’s Walk from CG, wonderful scenery then pick up minor roads from, say, White Hill then S to Overton etc.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Anyone visited Telegraph Woods recently?

It was pretty mucky back in Feb, when I visited there for the first time and I can’t help but think I did not explore all possible routes.

I’m not expecting it to be like the size of Lordswood appears to be (which I do hope to visit this summer, along with the course at Bassett Sports Centre), but TW is <10mins up the road from me in Bitterne.

cinnamon_girl

Hoff – OK leave WW at Ashmansworth then head S to Whitchurch, pick up minor road at Tufton ie S side of the River Test. Then head for Barton Stacey then S on a minor road, cross A30 then bridleway which will bring you to the outskirts of Winchester.

Hoff

Wayfarers is on the doorstep & I’ve been linking it up with the Test Way, Brenda Parker Way around Combe, Faccombe, Likenholt, Ashmansworth etc. I’ve only followed it under the A34 a couple of times but then headed back to Highclere, Penwood on the old railway line (ahem footpath). I might head that way later & have a look

Was initially thinking of the SDW one way over 2 days & using the train / car to the start point but I can extend the trip by a day or 2 & ditch the car / train.

cinnamon_girl

Obviousy if you leave WW at Ashmansworth then you’ll have a good few miles of descending. It would be quicker than extending E. Whatever route you decide on will involve some road riding, it depends on what’s important to you.

Hoff

Cheers CG will have a look, roads not a problem.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

S to Whitchurch, pick up minor road at Tufton ie S side of the River Test. Then head for Barton Stacey then S on a minor road, cross A30 then bridleway which will bring you to the outskirts of Winchester.

There’s a nice track out of Barton Stacey running SWish towards the A34, seen here last summer;

or another just to the east of the range, S of Cocum Farm. Latter runs most of the way down to Littleton.

Regularly out on the gnarmac bike around there. This was a also last summer, but on another of the bridleways around the range at Barton Stacey;

garage-dweller

Anyone know how Farley Mount/ Sparsholt / Winchester area is riding at the moment is it a muddy clag fest or ok? Thinking it might be an option for a ride tomorrow morning as I also need to run an errand in Southampton.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spotted a Singular with Jones bars (possibly!) as I drove through Stockbridge earlier this evening.

Someone from STW, perhaps?

garage-dweller

Not me but has to be someone from here surely! That’s like a double niche, was it single speed half fat too?

nedrapier

Wife’s got a SS Swift with backswept bars. She’s been on a hen do in London all day though,so pretty sure it wasn’t her. Haven’t checked the shed since this morning, so I hope it wasn’t her bike!

cinnamon_girl

Went for a little walk c_g shuffle yesterday to get my fix of Hampshire countryside and, blimey, those views were earned. Had an, er, interesting encounter with some horses on a very narrow trail. Made sure the horses saw me then moved slightly to the side, spoke to horse rider number 1 but, oh no, the horse wasn’t having any of it.

Meanwhile horse number 2 was right up against horse number 1 and did concern me, horse rider number 1 told horse rider number 2 to keep her distance but couldn’t cos of horse rider number 3. Horse number 1 again attempted to go past me but still wasn’t happy. Its rider suggested I stand on the track which resulted in me holding my breath as horse and rider brushed against me.

Thankfully the rest of the walk was quiet apart from curious horses in fields.

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

cinnamon_girl

Idle musings on the Hampshire countryside, with apologies to William Cobbett.

When I first started exploring it was a regular occurrence to see seasonal workers, or sometimes all year, live in caravans in quiet out of the way places such as minor roads or Rights of Way. Some would be employed tending the watercress beds and some on farms. Have even seen Romany caravans with horses tethered beside a miniature vegetable plot.

Over the years they disappeared from Hampshire, or so I thought. Yesterday on a grassy strip beside a minor road I couldn’t help but notice a caravan with a washing line erected with clean clothing drying in the breeze. The surroundings looked spotless and carefully placed on the verge were black bin liners, most definitely not overflowing and tied up very precisely. Presumably these for the bin men to collect. I returned later in the day and, again, all very tidy.

It was good to see folk living a different way of life especially being so respectful of their surroundings. They really could teach others a lesson.

So … where have you guys been riding then?

brassneck

Wayfarers is on the doorstep & I’ve been linking it up with the Test Way, Brenda Parker Way around Combe, Faccombe, Likenholt, Ashmansworth etc. I’ve only followed it under the A34 a couple of times but then headed back to Highclere, Penwood on the old railway line (ahem footpath). I might head that way later & have a look

Was initially thinking of the SDW one way over 2 days & using the train / car to the start point but I can extend the trip by a day or 2 & ditch the car / train.

Nice idea. If you don’t mind a bit of road as a warm up, I’d head South ish out of Ashmansworth down the ‘endless hill’, cross the A343 and follow the minor road to Stoke .. then follow the Bourne valley to Wherwell, hang a left there and head up and over to the A272 (or wiggle through some villages like Crawley, I don’t like the 272 bit).. the Bourne valley bit is part of one of my favourite little road loops. Might be worth extending to Stockbridge and back into Winchester by other back roads that others here know better than I.

brassneck

So … where have you guys been riding then?

Only the MTB in action at present, but the replacement Tripster is back and waiting a rebuild. So I’ve strayed back across the border(s) mainly, Collingbourne Woods for the holy trinity of stung, bitten and dog poo.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lovely mixed loop Northwards towards the border yesterday. Round Silchester at one point, which is always pleasant. Scent of mint and lavender in the air at various points. Bit of a headwind at times though.

I can also report that pavé tyres are great all rounders, but awful know wet clay. I had an unexpected little lie down! Shoulder hurts like hell today.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Glorious today. Perfect temperature, a little moisture off road for some grip and quiet lanes and tracks.

Out beyond Dummer, back via the edge of the ‘Stoke (Hello to the chap on the Alpine if he’s on here!)

Perfect day for a gnarmac bike. Happy heart, sore legs. Feels ace!

curto80
    Free Member

It really was beautiful wasn’t it.

Took the aeroad out to petersfield via the descent at Steep and then back to Winchester across the downs.

One of those days you feel so lucky to be a cyclist.

cinnamon_girl

Started a little walk from Farley Mount Country Park yesterday and, once again, was left feeling that there could be some great trails due to the gradient. Some years ago an idea was being mooted, presumably abandoned due to budgets. Anyone know?

My walk took me out of the park on new to me footpaths, views were simply stunning on my way to a little hamlet and church. I returned via a bridleway that I used to ride, it had been a fun descent from Beacon Hill down a narrow, rooty track. Sad to see that it was overgrown at ground level, making it very narrow and the barbed wire topped fence not helping.

On the positive side it was reassuring to see Plod patrolling the car parks. Feels very lonely there, always thought the same when I used to ride through it.

cinnamon_girl

PSA Cube hardtail seized by Hampshire Police believing it to be stolen.

No model name given, only it’s black and grey with white and blue detailing. Hedge End Police Station are dealing with this, reference 44160364673.

jambalaya
    Free Member

cg Imber Church is #7 on scary places not to spend Halloween 🙂

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_581233b9e4b0ccfc95622d96

cobrakai

I reckon Farley mount would be great. Little bit awkward for me to get to for a quick spin so I’ve been in forest of Bere (100 acres part) going over the same trails to try and make them more obvious. Keep meaning to take a little hand saw to tidy some of them up.

cinnamon_girl

I may not be riding but it hasn’t stopped me from doing the ‘c_g shuffle’ to enjoy the Autumn colours. Short, snail-paced walks have taken me to mid-Hampshire but my mtb’er eye doesn’t stop me from thinking ‘oooh, that could be fun on a bike’ except it’s a footpath!

Yesterday I ventured to Twyford Down and crossed over to the side of the Army range. Whilst descending to Chilcomb through the wood I couldn’t help musing that with all that gradient (around 150 ft) it would make some brilliant trails.

Can we please have Autumn for a bit longer. 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

But it’s too damn cold!

cinnamon_girl

Wasn’t cold at all yesterday bb and cold weather never stopped me from riding either. 😀

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I can vouch for the riding over Twyford Down way, in particular one very lovely singletrack descent through the woods a mile or so up from the waterworks.

cinnamon_girl

I know where you mean Mostly_Balanced, that track is great fun. 8)

cobrakai

Yeh, my favourite bit of singletrack there. The woods behind the ranges has some built track but looks like it hasn’t been used in years. Came across it on a night ride.

cinnamon_girl

Imber Church in Wiltshire now open. Opening times:

http://www.imberchurch.org.uk/

If you’ve not been before it isn’t signposted so follow directions on website.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Has anyone been in to Blackwood by Micheldever recently?

Am trying to draw up a little gnarmac route for the morrow, and wonder if it might be a viable option to go through, rather than round the forest. (On 30mm Strada Biancas!)

Also, a long shot, but has anyone in Hampshire lost a Specialized Demo with Deemax recently? Greyish frame, with some pimpy green Sram XO stuff on it. Might be nothing, but….

DezB
    Free Member

I said on here, I’ll believe it when I see it!

cinnamon_girl

Dez – there’s been some fatalities in Hampshire so one has to be optimistic that it’s a step in the right direction. I wonder if a tally is kept of the numbers of car drivers stopped/warned etc.

OwenP

Anyone been out on the south downs trails in Hampshire this weekend? I’ve been sticking to the sandier parts of the County for the past few months, but things seem to be drying up a bit (for now!).

Thinking about getting out next Friday and would be keen to get back into the downs, if places like QECP aren’t at their slidey stickiest 🙂

Cheers!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How about we get this rolling along again with a bit of a “Where was I?”

Simple rules;
    1 – In Hampshire.
    2 – Containing a bike, as in preferably taken on a ride.
    3 – Some sort of recognisable view or landmark. Can’t just be your favourite secret singletrack on the edge of the village.

I’ll start….

singletrackmind

QECP simply superb today
    Fast and loose and not 1″ of mud . New sections workin really well , and not too much erosion from use over the winter.
    There was dust I tell you, dust!

60 miles across rural Hants from Upham out to Pitton and back on sat was aslo rather good

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,822 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.