Viewing 40 posts - 1,401 through 1,440 (of 1,822 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • cinnamon_girl

This may be of interest, an on/off road route taking in the River Itchen.

https://www.southdowns.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Cycle-Rides-around-the-River-Itchen1.pdf

Whilst it is pleasing to note that Parish Councils gave their assistance with the leaflet presumably they’re guilty of this statement in the leaflet ‘No public parking in any of the villages on this route.

You have been warned!! 🙄

johnj2000
    Free Member

@Lummox if you want to park at Wickham the road is Old Station Road and they have built a new car park so loads of spaces.
    @CG sorry to hear that, Lymes makes me nervous for the kids and us riders, we found a tick in my daughters head after a lovely day out messing in the grass at a country park. Fortunately all seems ok, such a shame even nature is trying to stop us enjoying the outdoors now! Hope things heal fast for you xx

Had a really messy ride the other day, Winchester Hill was an utter mare to get up. Wheels solid with clay and wouldn’t turn, had to carry or slide it up, took over 20 mins to get up 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Good morning Hampshire peeps. 🙂

Looking for recommendations for a cafe or pub with outdoor seating (hopefully) for lunch in the Bishops Waltham vicinity. Most important requirements are that my son’s bike needs to be at the table and the establishment needs to serve huge portions.

Thanks!

wheelie

Hampshire Bowman. Not sure about portions,but extra chips would sort that out!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d second the Bowman, perfect local beer, local food, seats out front or in the beer garden behind, quiet lane/area in lovely countryside and you’ll get to see the local horse riders plod up and down the lanes.

Loads of folks ride bikes there, you’ll be in good company.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks chaps, my only concern is that cos it’s the BH a table may need to be booked which I don’t want to do as it will be mid-ride for him and timings will be tricky. In that respect a cafe would be preferable or even a garden centre.

Other suggestions would be appreciated.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Did the Farley Mount loop (see current MBR) 3 weekends ago on a visit to Hampshire for a wedding. Pleasant couple of hours with gorgeous bluebell woods on the way out and nice descent on the way back.

cinnamon_girl

dekadanse – where did the route take you then?

Another q – anyone been to the Long Barn cafe in Alresford? Thanks!

cobrakai

I live 2 miles from the bowman so would recommend it but for somewhere less known try the brickmakers in Swanmore. I don’t do small portions and the food is great. Nice local ales and bikes can be left out front in plain sight or round back in the beer garden.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The Long Barn is the old Lavender Farm and has been revamped and extended. Yes it has a cafe now, a quite large one, but the problem with it now is its always packed out every day of the week, BH will be disastrous on a colossal scale.
    Avoid.

I’ve only eaten here once, it was nice and the garden is cute, it’s got nice ales too but it’s in East Meon and it might be packed out..
    Ye Olde George Inn..

Also avoid the Thomas Lord (West Meon) , it’ll be packed out.

Sorry but the Bowman is the best bet, it can cope with lots of folks too.. You don’t have to book a table, just turn up and you might be lucky and sit down quickly enough but they have about 20 outdoor tables but only about five inside.

domtastic
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m new to the area and was wondering if there’s an off-road route between Winchester and Hamble??

Thanks

cinnamon_girl

domtastic – welcome to Hampshire. 🙂 You could depart Winchester and head for Twyford Down which is off road, alternatively head out on the SDW to Cheesefoot Head then South through Longwood Warren heading for Upham. I would say you’ll be hard pressed from here although hopefully bikebuoy will see your post and share his extensive route knowledge.

bikebuoy – thanks for that info but disappointed about Long Barn. I’ve checked out The Bowman’s website and they serve food all day so that’s good. Would you mind sharing your knowledge on some specific roads, may I e-mail you? Thanks.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@domtastic – welcome as I am a Hamble resident and my bike is in a mates garage in Winchester I posted this question a whole ago, search back in the thread. As an exec summary I am still searching, its possible with a bit of road. My idea of off an road route (Winch/St Catts/SDW/Monarch/Pilgrims Trail etc to Botley/Hamble River/Manor Park/Burseldon etc) was questioned on here and when I went on a reccy from Hamble the disused railway line was indeed private and impassable. Bikebouy who is in Warsash a lot recommended the Solent Way which is Winchester/Southampton/Netley/Hamble is paved quite a bit of the way so not so interesting.

I’d love to do the ride so perhaps someday we should meet up, unfortunately I am due to be away most of next 3 months

As an excuse here are a few local photos (again) 8)

Winchester Mud (reminder dry is best around there)

“Source” of the Hamble at Durley Mill on my route idea (before here off the end of the Pilgrims Trail is the old railway – need road round)

Low Tide River Hamble at Manor Farm Country Park (bridelways and footpath near river, be polite to ride is fine)- lovely here and unspoilt by marinas etc

Lovely quite reserve off Satchell Lane (turn off road at number 96 opposite Red Phone box

Lovely quite part by the water between Hamble village and Hamble Point Marina

Always good to be afloat 🙂 but possibly not for this ride as pubs nicer on Hamble side than Warsash although you could take it as a long way round to Swanwick train station to get back to Winchester (one stop before Hamble)

brassneck

Does that Solent Way include the ferry crossing? Can’t help thinking this might have a nice family loop in it, and the promise of a ferry will save me pounds in motivational Haribo 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, if we’re doing Hampshire rivers, here you go!

Cheeky lunchtime loop on the Brompton.

cinnamon_girl

domtastic – here’s some Hampshire mapping:

http://localviewmaps.hants.gov.uk/LocalViewmaps/Sites/ROWOnline/#

jambalaya
    Free Member

@brassneck the ferry is extra ie it runs from Hamble to Warsash after you’ve finished (it only crosses river so not a long trip) There is a cafe on Hamble “beach” (cough) for ice creams etc

@domtastic – my idea roughly Winch / St Catherines / Owlestry / Upham / Alan King Way – Pilgrims / Brooklamds Farm / Duriey Mill / Manor Parl Farm / Burseldon / Hamble

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^^ nice to see Jam’s got his bike out 😉

We must go for a ride one day soon 😉

Ok Y’all.. here is a link to HantsGov Rights of Way map.. published by Hampshire CC and available to all..
    I use it a lot for a multitude of reasons, be aware though that it’s slightly out of date and I’ve come across at least 3 diversions and 1 no access (up near Titchbourne)
    HantsGov Rights Of Way

CG of course email me, you know I’m always happy to help… 😀

As far as routing from Winney goes, its going to be a mix of offload and lanes, sorry but thats just the way it is as there isn’t a direct offload route to Hamble. The above map will assist you, I have two simple routes in mind and here they are.. by all means ignore them, and it will not be TBT but a guide.

R1) WInney SDW to Cheesefoot Head, turn right near two blue portacabins and head down Kings Way (number 7 on the map) to Baybridge, take the bridleway to Street End then onto the lanes to Highfield Farm/Northbrook, then hitch the bridleway (Number 40) then choose some lanes until you hit Botley then head for Manor Farm Woods (like Jam says ^^) and head to Swanwick then take the lanes down into Hamble.

This route is simple, but there are many routes I use that are not on the map marked as bridleways but are cheeky and I’m not sharing those on here.

R2) The most simple and default route is to take the SDW over to West Meon and catch the old Meon Lines (disused railway line) to Wickham then carry on past that and head into Botley Woods, from there head past Knowle on Mayles Lane and pick up the other end of the Meon Line (number 515, 83, 82) to Tichfield Abbey but then you’ll have to make your way down to the coast via Tichfield Canal to Meon Shore then collect the NCN2 towards Hamble.

Check the map out and make your own up, much better option..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sadly bikebouy some of those photos are a year old 🙁 Rode once in November and once in April although reasons not all bad. Would be great to hook up although you’d have to be very patient !!

I usually ride Manor Farm / Burseldon / Hamble but if you do as bikebouy says and go Manor Farm / Swanwick-Solent Way down the gravel footpath (always bikes on it) on Warsash/East side of the river you can (have to) finish with the Ferry which would be cool – two good pubs (King and Queen / Bugle) to chose from and the cafe on the beach. You could head back to Hamble Station via Satchell Lane and the little nature reserve.

@brass if you do @bikebouys version at the end just off the gravel path as you leave the marina is a field with donkeys (bring chopped carrots?) and usually llamas / rare breed sheep – then as above you can finish with ferry and icecream and watch boats 🙂 gentle pedal back to Hamble train station ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Gis a call Jam, let’s go for a pootle 8)

jambalaya
    Free Member

My Winchester – Hamble ideas (on excellent official os maps app plus fat finger) note zi have walked or ridden around start and end but not middle parts

Three ways out of Winchester – view from up near Cheesefoot is good all the way to high ground on IOW on a clear day. Can follow start of SDW which makes nav easy. Most rest on here is footpathhs but deserted, very claggy if wet though

Next section (sloght mismatch on green option but you get the idea)

Follow red trsil to ride down tje riverside (lots of walkers/dogs and its a footpath but many bikes) and finish with the ferry

LAT

Farley Mount loop (see current MBR) 3 weekends ago on a visit to Hampshire

I’ve recently returned to Hampshire and liked the look of that route. Unfortunately my belongings, including maps, are bobbing about on the Atlantic. Did you find a GPX file or the ride anywhere?

Ta

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Where you at, LAT?

cobrakai

I commute from BW to Swanwick and it’s easier to stick to the lanes via Durley, Botley then Manor Farm. Lots of gates and styles. I’m in the process of trying to get a letter written to Hampshire County council to get the disused railway line from BW to Botley station opened up as a cycle route. Sainsburys were apparently going to finance it until they pulled the plug. Anybody got experience of how to get the ball rolling?

singletrackmind

CG
    Freds / The Anvil in Bishops Waltham might suit you if no joy at the Bowman.
    Its a quirky cafe where my road club stop at a fair bit. Happy to have bikes kicking around out on the terrace , and they do table service so no need to leave a bike unattended
    Or The Brushmakers in Upham ?

garage-dweller

Other than the couple of tables right on the road is there outside space at the Brushmakers? If there is I must be day dreaming when I end up in there…quite possible.

cinnamon_girl

LAT – you may find this useful, scroll down to ‘Map Layers’ then scroll through and you’ll find ‘off road cycle routes’, select this and they’ll be shown on the map. Some routes incorporate Farley Mount.

http://localviewmaps.hants.gov.uk/LocalViewmaps/Sites/ROWOnline/#

cobrakai – I’ve seen mention of that track in the minutes of a LAF meeting. Take a look through here:

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/countryside/hcaf/hcaf-meetings.htm

singletrackmind – thanks, the cafe sounds good.

cobrakai

Thanks CG, I’ll look into it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Route looks good jambalaya. The bit of Roman road south of the fair oak road (b2177) don’t bother, it’s nearly always under water. There is a pavement by the main road which is a quiet option if you don’t like the main road.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@thomb – thanks – its the middle bit I am most sketchy on. Is trail through Kimbers Copse better ? Iill definiteiy get it done this summer

@LAT YGM

cinnamon_girl

LAT – I’ve picked up MBR to check out that route, it’s only 10 miles and, to be honest, the outward climb from King’s Somborne is more fun as a speedy descent. The descent from Farley Mount is a good ‘un although not done that for a few years. If you want any gpx’s just let me know, e-mail in profile.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cinamon how about uploading a gpx to bikehike and posting a screenshot here or email to me and I’ll do that

brassneck

@brass if you do @bikebouys version at the end just off the gravel path as you leave the marina is a field with donkeys (bring chopped carrots?) and usually llamas / rare breed sheep – then as above you can finish with ferry and icecream and watch boats gentle pedal back to Hamble train station ?

Noted for future sunny reference 🙂

It is going to be sunny, right?

cinnamon_girl

@cinamon how about uploading a gpx to bikehike and posting a screenshot here or email to me and I’ll do that

jambalaya – gpx of which route? I can plot the Farley Mount route and send it to you – never used bikehike I’m afraid.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Farley mount ideas really, email me or put a pic up. Thanks

cinnamon_girl

On its way jambalaya. 🙂

Edit: I can send more of that area if you like?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Got it and yes please, can’t post pic yet as upload problems.

LAT

Thanks everyone for the info and emails. Much appreciated. I shall take a look at them and undoubtedly ask for more!

I’m currently in Southampton, but moving back to our home in Lymington in July.

Thanks again

jambalaya
    Free Member

LAT your best local riding after July maybe from Yarmouth 🙂 have a lookout for the regular Lordswood Thirsday night ride threads.

thomthumb
    Free Member

@thomb – thanks – its the middle bit I am most sketchy on. Is trail through Kimbers Copse better ? Iill definiteiy get it done this summer

I’ve never ridden kimbers copse. i’ll try and check it out in the next couple of weeks and feedback.

If you’re looking for company, let me know. (email in profile).

Viewing 40 posts - 1,401 through 1,440 (of 1,822 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.