Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 1,819 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • cinnamon_girl

Thank you matt. Managed to find it on the Forestry Commission website and it’s bound to be mentioned by my hero, William Cobbett, in his classic book so shall be investigating that later.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Hi CG. I ride Bere and West Walk an awful lot, if you are on Strava then you should be able to see my regular route if you can find me. John Nicholson, Fareham. It is muddy at the moment but still rideable if you like that sort of terrain, much nicer when it is dry.

Also allows you a link on to the South Downs if you join the old railway line and head right as you come out of the woods.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Oh, yes, Westlands Farm Shop is pretty good, great pies!

cobrakai

I usually mean west walk/woodend when I talk of forest of Bere but i understand it covers a larger area.

Walk there most days with the dog. Found a phone yesterday and started chatting to a biker from on here. Was in a bit of a rush so didnt quite catch their name!

cinnamon_girl

Thanks john and cobrakai. 🙂 Shall check out that farm shop for pies.

wheelie

Hi Cobrakai, It was me you spoke to yesterday. I found a couple of trails heading back towards the the railway line. My house backs onto the railway line a bit further up the valley, so will pop down again when it is a bit drier. It would be good to catch up again sometime!

johnj2000
    Free Member

A bit further up the line Wheelie?!!!! you aren’t in the place with ferraris and R8’s are you 🙂 big ol place that!

cobrakai

Do you have the mad collies that scare my wee working cocker?! Just as I left you the lassie phoned so had to take the phone round to the top car park. I’m probably going for a ride in the woods on Friday afternoon if anyone is about.

wheelie

No mad collies here! I might get out on Friday, if i get my floor finished.
    John I don’t think i have and R8, the only letters on the back of the vehicle are 1.9 TDI !

johnj2000
    Free Member

Bere is drying out quite nicely now and you can get a decent ride in without dragging yourself through mud

wheelie

Bumped into Cobrakai again the other day at Bere forest. Thanks for showing me a couple of trails. The other side of the road from West Lodge has a couple of good runs, seems like there has been a bit of building in the past. Still pretty boggy in parts.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Trying to figure out if you have found somewhere I haven’t ridden Wheelie. Was it across from 100 acre car park?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Has anyone ridden the BW/BOAT between Houghton and Broughton that runs from the phone box in Houghton, then South of Evely Farm and down in to Broughton?

Doable on a gnarmac bike? Am heading over that way tomorrow, and it looked a nice addition to the route!

cinnamon_girl

Evening Cap’n and, yes, I’ve cycled that RoW. Pretty bumpy iirc but it was around a couple of years ago, presumably you’re coming from Meon Hill?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Will be heading S from Stockers, then up following the Wallop Brook from the Houghton/Broughton area.

cinnamon_girl

Ah, the opposite direction! Well you know how it is on those tracks, weather dependent so go for it, enjoy and do report back. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Been a bit moist up here at the head of the River tonight, so weather may well play a part! 🙂 Will try and remember to take pics.

cinnamon_girl

If it’s been dry overnight it will be fine, shall look forward to pics!

wheelie

John, if you turn left out of the car park and follow road for a few hundred yards. Turn right just opposite the big house ‘West Lodge’
    As it is getting drier i will have a bit more of a look.

dobo
    Free Member

Has anyone ridden the BW/BOAT between Houghton and Broughton that runs from the phone box in Houghton, then South of Evely Farm and down in to Broughton?

Doable on a gnarmac bike? Am heading over that way tomorrow, and it looked a nice addition to the route!

If i recall the BW from the phonebox in houghton was on some narrowish muddy/grassy tracks, a little sketchy, traction was ok on CX, slicks could be interesting.

There is also a BW slightly further south that was more open and stoney past the farm and brings you out the same area, i think that was less muddy.

I was around longstock/wherewell on the cx yesterday, pretty area for a quick road ride.

jambalaya
    Free Member

wherewell on the cx yesterday, pretty area for a quick road ride.

Random factoid …TdF went through there years ago

cinnamon_girl

Any chance of you Hampshire peeps posting up some seriously scenic pics, any featuring bluebells would be particularly welcomed. 😀 Thanks!

Stopped riding in January and have recently been diagnosed with chronic Lyme disease. 😥

bikebouy
    Free Member

CG, all my pics are in the weekend riding plans thread 😀

cinnamon_girl

Cheers bb, will wander over there!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Stopped riding in January and have recently been diagnosed with chronic Lyme disease.

Bad times. Would say healing vibes but that’s not going to help I fear

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Lymes disease won’t stop you attending the Baby /bike Bash will it?

You can borrow my electric assist bike so no straining required

cinnamon_girl

jambalaya – shall accept healing vibes so thank you!

WCA – you’re very kind but am just not able to ride any bike, my limbs have lost strength and have become rather clumsy. Please please please video your Baby Bike Bash and post up. 😀

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

my limbs have lost strength and have become rather clumsy

Maybe I have had Lymes disease all my life…

bikebouy
    Free Member

CG, thats bad news to hear. I hope you take care of yourself and one day soon return to riding. Don’t let that Tripster go rusty, you know what Titanium’s like 😆 If it’s not ridden, it crumbles.

I post all my pics on the Weekend thread now, obvs a huge amount of my riding is in the Downs, on occasion I scuttle off somehere else, but have noticed botht eh Wild Garlic and Bluebells are out in force now. Therefore, if you can, a great time to visit some shady woodland.

All the best CG.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cg then please accept a double dose. Something very amiss regarding Lyme discease and the medical prpfession in the UK, when I lived in the US 25 years ago our neighbours warned us about it and there where many public info posters. Here the authorities / GPs seem to be in denial

Bluebells are out in force now

Fingers crossed they are still about in 2 weeks

cinnamon_girl

WCA – you made me laugh! 🙂

bb – thank you, I live for my cycling and my bikes are waiting. Poor Tripster has hardly been used and it’s not the only Ti in my stable either. 😳 Shall continue to look out for your pics. 🙂

jambalaya – thanks. Yes, I agree with you but it seems that the NHS picks and chooses which conditions it treats. I already have to finance testing, consultations and meds for another permanent health condition so this is all extra expense. Last month a Lyme charity was involved in a NICE scoping workshop regarding guidelines so it’s a start.

Lummox

Meon valley trail

Hoping to ride part of it with my dog and daughter in a trailer (just daughter in trailer)

Question is which bit would offer best parking/ surface/ dog off lead longest?

Cheers for your help

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CG,ygm. Hope it has the intended restorative power!

brassneck

@cg then please accept a double dose. Something very amiss regarding Lyme discease and the medical prpfession in the UK, when I lived in the US 25 years ago our neighbours warned us about it and there where many public info posters. Here the authorities / GPs seem to be in denial

Still a mixed bag. My eldest had a classic rash, and whilst we couldn’t remember a tick bite, the locum who saw him took the ‘no chances’ route and prescribed a course of antibiotics on the spot.

My wife took him back in for the second blood test and one of the partners was very dismissive – it wasn’t likely to be Lymes, it’s very rare, no point giving him anything, don’t know why he did etc etc.

Few weeks later had a phone call from the senior partner. Second tests showed a very high probability it was, and he took the case on personally, wanted our corroboration of his surgery accounts, insisted on walking through all the possible pitfalls and warning signs we should be aware of for the next year or so, whilst re assuring the initial antibiotics would almost certainly have been the right action and at the right time. Basically couldn’t do enough.

Whilst I understand there is/was a culture of antibiotics as a panacea that GPs are trying to get out of the national mindset, it seem to me with a suspicion of Lymes it’s nothing to lose and potentially a lot of pain to avoid. Anecdotally, in my part of Hants at least, cases are on the rise (mild winters to blame?) so I wouldn’t take any chances with seeking treatment.

cinnamon_girl

brassneck – interesting experience and do hope that your son is in good health now.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Lummox..

Park in Wickham it’s the easiest place. There is a small carpark directly on the trail, it’s not very big but you should be able to park there. It’s behind the Old Mill but you’ll have to google how the get there because I don’t know the road name..
    The Meon Trail is now all flat and easy to ride on now all the stones and gravel has packed down. The part where I suggest you ride from is the smoothest by far as it’s the most used.
    You could drive upto Corehampton or West Meon and join it at either point, but again you’ll have to google the roads. Further up the trail (here) the gravel is less packed down and it’s by far the less used section. You do have the benefit if you park in West Meon of both Cafe and Thomas Lord Pub.

Or you could, just could, park in Bere Forest carpark and roll down the hill but you are on trails and if you don’t know where you are going could become tricky.

HTH’s.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Lumox – please take care of other users (not saying you would not). The facebook group setup around the “improvements” are regularly full of complaints about cyclists riding too fast. I post regularly this is an unwanted consequence of the works I as a cyclist didn’t want either.

cinnamon_girl

Lummox – just to add to bb’s post, I’ve parked at West Meon (it is signed from the A32) but be warned it doesn’t have tarmac and was actually pretty mucky. You’re right on the trail so convenient. In January the first minor road that I crossed was under water with flooding The surface is fine and I did encounter quite a few dogs.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I was racing riding on it last weekend (as part of my training for that 200k gravel thing I’m doing) and it’s both dry and hardpack all the way along.

I agree with Jam though, it does get busy but if you are considerate you can still gain KOMs on it…

Lummox

Thanks all, visited on Thursday and nearly dodged all the rain. Parked at west meon end and did an out and back.
    No chance of being too fast as I was dragging my daughter in her chariot behind my fat bike in ‘bimble’ mode. Everyone I met was cheery and chatty, apart from a couple of horsey riders that wouldn’t let me pass but also weren’t going quick enough to avoid catching them repeatedly. Luckily the split off after a bit.

Surface was bob on for trailer and dog, might not be to all people taste but perfect for trailer and dog with parking, I’ll go else where for the gnarr!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 1,819 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.