Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 1,822 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • cinnamon_girl

Dorset riding

Today saw a first visit to the North Dorset Trailway and what an excellent facility for families. I started from Sturminster Newton where the large car park was right by the trail and this was to be an out and back route.

http://www.northdorsettrailway.org/

There was an all weather surface and what I really enjoyed was the views. The trail was open, lots of benches to sit on and only two minor roads to cross between Sturminster Newton and Blandford. It wasn’t completely flat though with some short sharp climbs and descents.

I was taken down memory lane by the sight of Shillingstone Station which is on the trail funnily enough! Over 20 years ago I ran the Dorset 3 Peaks race which consisted of 12 miles cross country taking in Hod, Hambledon and Okeford Hills. The race actually finished on the platform!

http://www.shillingstone-railway-project.org.uk/

The cafe is open on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. It’s crying out for an improved menu and reckon it could be a goldmine as there’s so many walkers and cyclists passing by.

Here’s some sculptures although the bike one isn’t clear. Apologies for my ss getting in the way:

The section from just outside Shillingstone to Stourpaine was blighted by the roar of traffic from the A357. The trail ends at Spetisbury and that’s for another time.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh likeee a lot 😀

cinnamon_girl

Thanks bb! Meant to have said that it was good to see blokes doing blokey things at the railway, all volunteers. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dorset Interloper! But we forgive you….!

Might get the MTB out for a change tomorrow.

cinnamon_girl

Nah Cap’n, I live in Dorsetshire but usually cross the border to get my fix of the gorgeous Wiltshire landscape. 😀

Just an edit to my travelogue, OS get-a-map shows a road diversion at Hammoon. This is incorrect, the trail continues along the disused railway line and obviously agreement was reached with the land owner.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I (allegedly) did a mini bivi trip last night into the New forest. Short ride but quite fun. Took me about 1.5 hours to travel back about 10 miles as I got a bit lost! Took my old thin synthetic sleeping bag and was a little cold. Maybe time for new one.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

So who’s planning on riding today / this afternoon?

I was going to go from Cocking to Amberley over the SDW and back but looking like a washout!

🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

Me, went out Friday (bloody hot and sunny) went out yesterday (bloody hot and sunny) and will be going out at about 11’ish for some hill climbing reps (looking a bit damp)

Roadie 😀

benmotogp46
    Free Member

No excuses, guess I’ll have to get wet then….

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well… I CX’er’d it instead, since spending a few hours cleaning the roadie in the sunshine last night I didn’t fancy getting it obliterated with flint and field run off..
    As was I took the CX’er out in very heavy rain and stuck some old CX clothing on and got very wet, very muddy and very hot. I then jet washed the CX’er and threw my kit in the washing machine.
    😀

It’s stopped raining now in my bit of the coast but looking out of the window it looks a bit “leaden”

Gotta love a hot sodden steamy muddy ride 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, that was rather moist.

Nice local spin on the gnarmac bike, kept mainly on road given the inevitable gloop fest that the trails would have been.

Time for lunch now, and perhaps an Andwell’s hopped lager to wash it down.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Is it a bit damp back home then? Currently sat on my balcony overlooking lake Fuschl in Austria, got my legs burnt today by the orange ball in the sky. I would post a picture but it takes me about an hour to remember how to do it on here and by then I will be sinking an Austrian beer or two.

Sorry, that was mean 🙂

cinnamon_girl

The plan today was to investigate a church in the Wylye Valley, Wiltshire, that’s in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Imagine my surprise when I arrived there to find another cyclist in situ who offered to help lift my bike over the railings. He’d cycled up from Bournemouth and he really did prove that you don’t need to dress up as a ‘proper’ cyclist. A ‘can do’ attitude was all you needed.

The first record of this church was in 1240 and unfortunately there are some ruins.

Inside was a Bier that was used to carry the dead of the village to their final resting place.

Now here’s something interesting, what on earth was it used for? Surely not a bike stand? 😀

Time to check out some new to me woods and an encounter with mud, boo. Was surprised to see tyre marks but, alas, no time for single track searching. Worthy of a return visit not least due to something of historic interest that I need to locate, ain’t Google brilliant!

cinnamon_girl

Imber Church will be open for a Remembrance Service tomorrow as well as being open on Sunday. More info here:

http://www.imberchurch.org.uk/

jambalaya
    Free Member

Its that time of year

dobo
    Free Member

Well i havnt been riding for ages and then went out twice this week on my winter awesome hack bike 2006 xtc frame with 29er cross tyres, single speed and mud guards. loved it.
    Think i might have to have another short session on the test way or maybe upto farley tomorrow and sunday. Love this time of year when it gets cold! all the trails are my own! COME ON COLD WEATHER ICE AND SNOW.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dobo which parts of the Test Way and roughly what sort of route do you ride, my parents live very near it in Kings Sombourne so interested in a route suggestion

cinnamon_girl

What a dirty bike Jambalaya!

Food – has anyone used Westlands Farm Shop in Shedfield, near Wickham? I’m always keen to hear of anywhere selling decent quality meat. Thanks!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hampshires been going through some fantastic Autumn colours most recently, some of the forests up Steep way have been quite spectacular, so too QECP and the lower slopes of the Downs. One of the best seasons IMO.

dobo
    Free Member

jambalaya, The test way is not all that interesting.
    The ride i did yesterday was just a quick blast from near stockbridge towards romsey but only as far as the bear and ragged staff and turn round and back. Its completely flat but mostly off road and a pub at either end.. and is good to get some safe off road training miles in.

I also go the other way from stockbridge to the mayfly, sometimes i stay on the test way past the mayfly until you hit the road, then turn right on the main road and turn next right after 100 yards or so, follow that road then after a few minutes on the down hill theres a bridle way on the left that goes under a bridge and up a hill then onto some tricky thin muddy trail down an even bigger hill (red hill?) and you can cross the road and cycle off road to goodworth clatworth.

Today i went to farley mount.
    From Kings somborne head up church road/furzedown road then take first left down that road to the bottom and before you go uphill turn right onto the trail which takes you up a few KM to parnholt woods. turning left at the junction at the top to go towards farley. From there theres many trail options in the woods. Or if you want a long ride you can link up further a field to crawley and trails along a272 and back via other end of farley.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks

cinnamon_girl

Any Hampshire peeps know where I can get hold of a cardboard wheel box? Have been to 3 bike shops but no luck.

Thanks. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Get a bike/frame box and cut/fold it ? Wheels inside with bubble wrap ? i imagine shops sell more bikes than wheels

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d say Halfords, they chuck out loads of boxes..

And a Yay! for Hampshire…

I have been riding a lot as always, CX bike now until the clear cold dry days mean the roadie comes out. Found a couple of neat link up sections near the Millburys and they cross the SDW Nth/Sth that have enabled me to ride up and over the main Bump and head towards Cheriton.
    The Woods south of Arlesford on the way back to Cheriton are on my list to ride, have seen them used for Gorrick events, anyone know where they pop out?

cinnamon_girl

Thanks chaps! Am posting rims so needs to be specific size, didn’t think of Halfords though.

bb – are you meaning Cheriton and Bramdean Woods? Don’t think they would have been used by Gorrick though. Lived in Alresford for a bit and rode those woods, reckon they’d be churned up by gee gees at the moment.

Found myself looking at an e-bike earlier. 🙁

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I know I’m in West Sussex, but Hampshire is only 8.5 mins away on my new ‘gravel bike’ – and my daily commute is deep into the Hampshire hinterland (OK about another 8 miles).

Do any of you good folk have any tips for adventure/road routes in South East Hampshire? I know West Sussex pretty well from mountain biking, and I know the South East Hampshire roads but I must admit rarely venture across the A3 these days so I’ve no idea where to start exploring!

Once the trails improve we should have another Hampshire Riding trip to West Sussex – I can’t believe that was July 2014! (http://www.strava.com/activities/168489345)

brassneck

CG – if you get really really stuck shout, I have one at work (had 700c in it so should fit anything unless I’ve missed a niche…) but I’m out for the rest of this week so won’t be able to lay hands on it fora while.

cinnamon_girl

brassneck – thank you for your kind offer but I think you’re the opposite side of the county?

bartimaeus – I would say that bikebuoy is your man for routes. Can only suggest Old Winchester Hill and the Meon Valley Trail for perhaps linking up.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

bb – are you meaning Cheriton and Bramdean Woods? Don’t think they would have been used by Gorrick though

Not for XC racing, but the Cheriton round of the Gorrick Trailtrax series has checkpoints scattered around all those areas.

gary

Thanks chaps! Am posting rims so needs to be specific size, didn’t think of Halfords though.

Is Southampton convenient? If its just for rims I have some boxes that Light Bicycle 29er rims came in in my spare room. Each is big enough for a couple of rims.

G.

cobrakai

Went for my usual loop last night out of Bishops Waltham. More effort than it was worth I’m afraid. Thought things may have been harder due to the frost over the past 2 days but its made the clay even stickier!

Still managed a pint in the brushmakers though, so all was not lost.

Before Christmas I started trying to ride the small deer paths in the forest of Bere, so might just carry on with that. Some promising little routes.

cinnamon_girl

Any riding in West Walk, near Wickham?

Also, does anyone know the condition of the singletrack at Moors Valley Country Park?

Thanks. 🙂

mattbee

West Walk is very boggy at the best of times, certainly the bits of fun singletrack I know of are. This weather means the main tracks will be ok but rest underwater most likely.

I cleared a load of stuff there a few years ago but constant bogginess was off putting.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Did you ever get those boxes CG?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup West Walk is just that, a walk.. with wellies. I use a small lane to scoot around it nowadays.

You would honestly be better off playing in Bere Forest along the Gravel then popping out either at the bottom near the Triumph Motorbike dealers then heading back to Soberton via the lanes, to Meanstoke then Corehampton and stopping off in the Swan for a few pints at Exton.
    Waltham Chase used to be good too, once you could use the path near the The Chase pub but it leads into the the wetlands and the woods these days are just too boggy.. Better off using Paradise Lane that leads from the 2177 and takes you back to B’Waltham.. then head up to Dundridge to the Hampshire Bowman for yet more beer, sorry theres a bridleway over the top of the hill on your right, bit lumpy as the Neddies use it a lot.. but then you can get back onto the lane that passes Corehampton Golf Club and back to Beacon Hill and SDW then head down Beacon Hill lane and back into Exton and the Swan Pub..

Make a loop out of that, probs take you a couple of hours, add another in for beer stops, maybe add two hours in for beers stops..

And wait until its drier.. unless sticking to the lanes.

It’s quiet, lovely and a great little area to ride around.

As to the question about South East Hampshire, well there are many routes, funny I found a new bridleway at the base of Chidden Hill/Chidden Holt going east on Sunday.. but further south you’ve Hambledon way you’ve got the woods over Dogkennal lane heading Clanfield way.. then you’re almost on the A3..

Hmmm Beer…

cinnamon_girl

mattbee – thanks for the info, will wait til it dries out a bit before exploring.

hammy – all sorted thanks.

bb- your post made me laugh, we’re not all mile munching athletes! 😉 Sounds as though there’s plenty of quiet roads to explore, not sure about the beer stops cos I’m a Southern shandy drinking softie. Will check those road names on the map so thanks for those.

mattbee

One bonus of the vile weather we’ve been having the last couple of months has been that the wife and I are exploring many more of the quiet back lanes around South Hants, and skirting into West Sussex.
    Lovely ride on Sinday out over Portsdown Hill through Southwick, Denmead, then overview Bishops Waltham to Wickham. Virtually all on really quiet back lanes, was lovely. Looking forward to exploring a bit more in better weather now & trying more of the bridle ways and off road bits we’ve never bothered wi before.

cobrakai

Forest of bere is boggy at the moment. Went for a night ride on Thurs and found that someone has started putting logs across some if the drier singletrack up near the main car park. I don’t think it’s kids as it’s a very quiet little section in the dense woods north of the main carpark. It’s still worth a play for an hour.

cinnamon_girl

Forest of Bere – is that also known as Creech Woods? If so it looks tiny compared to West Walk which does have some elevation, according to my mapping software.

mattbee

‘Forest of Bere’ to my understanding covers quite a few different areas as it was a much bigger swathe of forest that has gradually been broken down into smaller enclosures by past road, house building and clearance for farming etc. Some private woodland is also part of it. West Walk and Hundred Acres, Creech, even Havant Thicket are all technically part of the Forest of Bere.
    What different people actually mean by the name can be quite different.
    Never bothered riding in Creech, No idea if it’s worth it. Hundred Acres and West Walk are the same bit of woodland bisected by roads.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 1,822 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.