Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,818 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

Garage dweller- I have been staying clear of the red first section as it’s tough enough going up in the dry never mind the wet. May give it a go this weekend based on your experience, I normally start on the blue and then do a cpl of mini loops round the central red/blue section and then finish on the 2nd half of the red which is a lot less prone to bogginess.

mark88

Had a ride at Avon Tyrrell this afternoon, pump track was fun but the red loop wasn’t up to much, definitely not worth the drive (lamb pie and a beer in Burley was though).
    I think I’ll be able to make it to the New Force ride on Sunday, I’ll be on a black On One Lurcher, so say hello if you see me.

garage-dweller

Early morning road ride for me tomorrow. Need to be back for breakfast and then try and get 4-5 hours of studying in as well as some time with the children. When I finish these exams I will not know what to do with myself!

johnj2000
    Free Member

Local loop through Bere Forest today with my daughter. First time out for her on a 26er after moving up from 24, she did great. Probably helps that it’s a carbon frame and she weighs a lot less than me but she sailed through the boggy stuff whilst I trudged through it. Really enjoyed it, lng ride with BigShep tomorrow, I know not where.

mattbee

QECP & Head down yesterday were riding well.
    Was going to be a downs CX bike ride today but QE was in such good condition yesterday we’re going there again, session some of the Head down stuff with the wife to get her eye in on the steeper stuff ready for the D&N Enduro.

JohnJ, there are some really nice little bits of singletrack in Bere/100 Acres running parallel to Rookesbury Park caravan site. I tend to avoid the place in the winter as its so muddy though! Nice loop or two in there for a cheeky evening ride once the dog walkers are gone though.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Might try and get some of QECP in during the long ride today Mattbee, may see you, what bike should we look out for?

mattbee

Me and the missus in a pair of Transition Bandits, hers grey & mine red!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I did the CX SDW sting today over Duncton and the SDW is running hard and dry, forests too but in some of the bomb holes it’s a bit gloopy.
    Lovely hack has to be said.
    8)

cinnamon_girl

Really pleased that this thread is still going. 🙂 Alas I’ve moved out of Hampshire and haven’t been on a bike for 5 weeks, or is it 6?

Just on the off chance that anyone’s interested, Imber Church (in the middle of Salisbury Plain) will be open over Easter and guess who’s been accepted for volunteering again. 8)

http://www.imberchurch.org.uk/

bikebouy
    Free Member

Alas I’ve moved out of Hampshire

Eh?

Thats all wrong that 😆

cinnamon_girl

😆 May be back, who knows! Glad you enjoyed your cx ride. 🙂

johnj2000
    Free Member

Didn’t see you Mattbee but we were a little later in the day than expected.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh results for the S’th Downs Sting CX event are up, I did really rather well.. 😀

johnj2000
    Free Member

Evening ride with BigShep today, last time we tried this route his crank arm kept falling off so we had to knock it on the head after about 10 miles. Tonight we set out full of hope and after 3 miles my rear mech started playing up, eventually we fixed it and 2 miles later I got a massive thorn in the tyre. Fixed that, then spent the rest of the ride with a slow puncture, third time lucky maybe?

Still managed 22 miles and it was a good workout.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Anyone signed up for the QECP night Enduro event? I was bullied into it, I should have stood my ground but I weakened under pressure. I may die!

eranu
    Free Member

Don’t worry the collective will be there to give you beer at the end.

Lummox

I’m in, worry not its a blinking ace event ( but we need to play it down or it’ll be too popular)

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s a fabulous event (I don’t take part but pop over to watch) You see so many folks improving their technique and lines that it’s worth going over for that alone. If you get a bit wobbly just watch someone else come through the same section and watch what lines they take, and the speed.

I’ll be there to watch again, the CX’er useless for this sort of thing 😆

cinnamon_girl

I know that I shouldn’t be posting here any more but am feeling quite left out! Here’s a pic of today’s little pootle – it’s Knapp Down taken from the Shaston Drove in Wiltshire:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That area still counts! Hell, my rides often take me over the border in to Wiltshire and even (Shudders) Berkshire!

Are you over that way now, CG? Shall have to meet in Sarum some day! (Am often in a well known velocipede establishment on a Saturday morning as well….)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Niiiice pic, you need to post more like that. Discover the area, post back 😀

johnj2000
    Free Member

Stunning pic CG, you are allowed here with pics like this no prob,em :-). Anyway, you’ll be back in Hampshire at some point won’t you!

cinnamon_girl

Are you over that way now, CG? Shall have to meet in Sarum some day! (Am often in a well known velocipede establishment on a Saturday morning as well….)

Dorset to be precise Cap’n. You really must find an lbs!! 😉

Niiiice pic, you need to post more like that. Discover the area, post back

Thanks bb. I enjoy exploring the countryside although I’ve ridden this drove road before.

Stunning pic CG, you are allowed here with pics like this no prob,em :-). Anyway, you’ll be back in Hampshire at some point won’t you!

Thanks john and of course it’s thanks to you that we have this excellent thread. Has been great to share routes and local info. 8) Not sure where I’ll end up though!

singletrackmind

Mattbee.

QECP D/N trails are not the cheeky Headdown ones this year.
    They are in the main park and will not include Bermy as its being demolished.

I am ‘racing’ this , should be fun.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Which is bermy? Part of the current red?

Lummox

nope bermy was/isn’t ‘official’ it was part of stage 2 at the last day night, the bit with a series of bermy chutes that led to the steep roll in and then at the end the chalky rock gardens before the slog back to the top.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Ahh right. Secret stuff *taps nose*

Anyway, this slogging back up thing? How big a part of the race is this? I ask because I am more rubbish at this than I am going down.

Lummox

The ‘transitions’ had a fairly generous time for completing. You could either thrash yourself up to the stage start and then rest before your start time, or pace the winch back up. Sadly I exploded after transition 3 and missed my fourth stage start time so I’m not really I a position to give any advice on that.

I think the best advice would be don’t stop on the transition and try and pace yourself so you’ve got some legs for the timed bit.

johnj2000
    Free Member

So when we speak of transitions I think of the changeover between run and ride in a duathalon. Would I be correct in assuming that the transition in this case is the period of time between reaching the bottom of one hill and returning to the start of the next?

chiefgrooveguru

Would I be correct in assuming that the transition in this case is the period of time between reaching the bottom of one hill and returning to the start of the next?

Yes and no. You have a start time for each stage. You need to complete the preceding stage and get back up to the start of the upcoming stage within the time between the preceding and upcoming start times, so if you have an epic crash/mechanical whilst racing a stage you may struggle to make the transition. As long as you don’t stand around talking all the transitions are pretty easy – I pushed the uphills a lot on the day/night to keep my legs fresh for pedalling the stages.

Looking forwards to the race – only seem to visit QECP for enduros!

cinnamon_girl

In Wiltshire again, this time the Wylye Valley which is one of my favourite places.

If you look just above the gate, between the trees, there is the end of a terrific piece of single track.

In the middle of the pic is a chalky double track, long long climb that brings you out almost to a fun gully descent.

Only 11 miles that included Snail Creep Hanging Wood, what an amazing name. Twas good to be out except the place where I’d hoped to get a cuppa was closed, boo.

What have you chaps been up to then?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Great Pics, is that some blue sky right there ? Well we had loads of that too on the Coast 8)

I hacked up into the Hills for some early climbs and all went rather well. Nice to be out in short legs and L/S top and a cheeky grin. As my ride went on more and more bike’ists came out to play and I hooked up with a fast bunch heading back to Wickham… did my turns then turned South for home, took in the Coast road to ogle at Warsash Spring Series competitors bob around in 5knts and bright blue sky.

Got home, and drank Tea to M-SR…

The. Day. Was. Awesome.

singletrackmind

FWCC fas boys BB???

Digging up at QECP today. Its bone dry so get up there if you can as the trails are rolling well.

cinnamon_girl

Wearing shorts??? I was in Winter tights and softshell jacket due to the Easterly wind, it was biting.

Only dampener of the day was being involved in a road rage incident that resulted in a stand off. I had a word with the ned. 😐

johnj2000
    Free Member

Ended up at QECP late this afternoon just for an hour of riding. Saw some of the collective coming down the final decent as I started the ride, were you one of them Singletrackmind? Trails were indeed running well and I bagged myself some Strava PR’s on the downs, none on the ups because I am rubbish 🙂

Nice pics CG, Wiltshire is looking fine 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CG, re my choice of LBS….
    They’re local enough! Have always spent time in Salisbury, and often pop over on a Saturday morning en famille. Lovely little city, so very much worth the trip.
    They’re excellent. FACT.
    I’m very loyal to good people, and they’re very good people.

😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

FWCC it was indeed !

I knows wheres they ryde, I knows where’s thys stop fer kake. 😆

Short legs now the Suns out, tan lines need topping up. We must have had 13C down yer, that yeller thing in the sky kept me back warm and pacing on kept me blood flowing.

No pics from me, too fast, too head down, too introvert fer glamorous landscapes 😆

singletrackmind

FW are my roadie club
    Inters for me , Im not quite able to mix it with the fast boys ( and girl )

JJ . Nope . recovering from manflu so full of bogies , hence no riding and abit of mattock work for me today

Need some miles this week though as its HonC in 2 weeks ish , might do another 6 reps of Harvesting Lane after work

johnj2000
    Free Member

Qecp again this morning, very different from last weekend, wet and slippy and fell off twice. Also got shown up on the hills by two others, but they do say that you only get better by being ritually humiliated hill after hill!

cinnamon_girl

Well done for getting out! I reckon we’d been a tad spoiled with dusty trails and tomorrow doesn’t look any better, boo.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,818 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.