Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,818 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • daftvader
    Free Member

bikebouy ping me an email (in profile) so i can send you the fit file… this shoud do it i hope

bikebouy
    Free Member

😀
    Ta.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Anyone interested in this weekend then? 17th works best for me now. Also going to have a play at QECP Thursday and Friday evening

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cinnamon_girl

If you’re going to be up at Cheesefoot Head, I’ll pop along and say ‘hi’ to you guys. Alas, a shonky body dictates that I’m best riding on my own, boo. 🙁

johnj2000
    Free Member

I can make cheesefoot and would love to be shown the Singletrack CG.

daftvader
    Free Member

Won’t be able to get the file to bikebouy as his email isn’t in his profile, and I am now in bude…. The route me and slackalice did was the hants council one so easy enough for someone to plug into a gps…. Have fun this weekend..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oops, thinkn I did that for a reason..
    Changed now…

daftvader
    Free Member

Still won’t be able to send it, currently 200 miles from my computer!

bikebouy
    Free Member

😆

cinnamon_girl

It’s a shame that the meet-up didn’t happen today. 🙁

I ventured over to Cheesefoot Head and was mortified to see the debris from Boom Town Fair still on the ground. So many tents had been left, there was a lone car parked in the middle of a huge field, scaffolding was still being dismantled and piles of rubbish everywhere.

Still, I was on my way to the gulley (again) and minced my way down there muttering that I should have bought my fs cos then I would have been rad and got stoked. 😉 Onto some secret single track where much fun was had.

Got talking to a guy who’d just started his SDW walk, complete with tent. He’d driven from Folkestone to leave his car at Eastbourne from where he got the train eventually heading for Winchester. Phew!

Nice little woodland pedal followed by a very overgrown recreational trail. The highlight was the sight of a combine harvester doing his thing with various tractors in attendance.

Where did y’all get to then? 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nephews here, we went crabbing instead 😳

beesey

CG where is the gulley? I had an explore around Farley mount but it’s so over grown it’s not much fun.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Sorry bout that CG. Life got in the way of riding or should I say I binge viewing of the killing in Netflix saw me hit the sack at 4am and awake at 13.00! Ahh the pleasures of having the family away for a a few days 🙂

cinnamon_girl

bikebuoy – you sound a brilliant Uncle and it’s great that you’ve spent time with them. 8)

beesey – everywhere is overgrown and you’ll need to be determined to find the gulley! Grid ref is SU 535 303 and you’ll start off on a farm track then some ducking and diving (due to low hanging branches) at the entrance to a wood. Just keep following the obvious track, past some decrepit machinery then you should see a bridleway sign on the left that’s actually just in front of a house.

Fight your way through there and continue following the obvious track through the wood. Just as the double track turns off and descends into the wood, continue in the same direction you’ve been riding and that is still the bridleway. Soon you’ll come to the gulley and just follow that to the end, which is a minor road in Ovington.

Strongly advise you to wear full body cover and wait for dry conditions. It was quite slippery in there today.

john – no problem, enjoy the peace and quiet. 🙂

tallie
    Free Member

Anybody fancy a ride tomorrow?

Late notice I know but the stars have aligned and I’ve a rare day with no work or childcare commitments. I’m based in Hillhead and will be carless tomorrow. Currently planning to head up to the SDW via the Meon Valley disused railway line, turn right and head to QECP for lunch and a lap. I may cheat a little on the way back and cut through some lanes, dependent on how my legs are holding up, but will ultimately head back via the Meon Valley again. Anyone care to join me for some or all of this ride? Pace will (of necessity) be fairly steady!

Alternatively if anyone has any better route ideas I’m open to suggestions.

bigshep
    Free Member

Hi Tallie,
    Me and John did that route on Sunday (and got drenched riding back up Butser Hill), unfortunately I’ve got work so can’t join in tomorrow.
    Do you live in Hillhead?
    I’m only in Stubbington and regularly go out riding with John weeknights and on Sundays.
    Send me an email if you fancy a ride another time.
    cheers
    Mark

tallie
    Free Member

Mark,

Yes I do – I’ll drop you a line.

Cheers

Tallie

leftyboy
    Free Member

We call that gully ‘rear mech alley’ total of 3 mechs wrecked in the last 2 visits!

johnj2000
    Free Member

Mark you are such a tart! I leave the country for two weeks and you just move on to the next one! 🙂

bigshep
    Free Member

Damn I’ve been rumbled.
    I honestly didn’t realise they had the internet where you were going.
    Just trying to find someone to talk to on the climbs 😆

cinnamon_girl

Brambles look disappointing – not ready yet and very small. Boo. 🙁

How are the hedgerows near you folk?

johnj2000
    Free Member

Git!

No brambles here CG but lots of blue sky and sunshine 🙂

Lummox

Can i just say its fantastic that this thread is up to 24 pages, having become quite disillusioned with whats available in hampshire i’m now aware of at least 1 more place to explore (CG’s post above su 535 303) tracking strava throws up a route that i’ll be heading out on asap.

Cheers All

Hampshire riders are ace

cinnamon_girl

john – I found some that were ripe so I got stuck in. Sorry. 😳 There’s a pic a few pages back of the track in question!

Lummox – seek and you will find! At the end of said gulley, turn R onto minor road. At T-junction turn L and follow road with water on both sides. Pub is on L side of RH bend.

At next T-junction you need to pay attention – turn L but immediately cross over at refuge and you should see an embankment to your R. Pretty sure there’s a bridleway sign. SU 571 317.

Head up embankment and just keep following the descending track through the trees. There’s a minor road at the end so slam on your brakes! SU 573 317.

From here you can head into Tichborne (expensive pub here) then pick up bridleway that’ll take you to Gander Down then Cheesefoot Head.

Agreed – Hampshire riders are definitely ace. 😆

Lummox

Brilliant, pencilled onto the OS map, now to find some free time.

cinnamon_girl

Get out tomorrow as Monday will be pants!

garage-dweller

^^^ please be wrong ~ I have to go and recce a group ride on Monday morning for next week. 😥

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How are the hedgerows near you folk?

Full to bursting with lovely, lovely fruit! And some lunatic sharp brambles! 😀

Sadly, no riding for me this weekend. Missed out today, but did get to see the Red Arrows from my front door with a refreshing beer! Then, off to the US tomorrow for a day trip. Oh joy. 🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

Paperclip convention ?

beesey

CG not sure if I should post this map (assuming this works) but is this it? going to head out and find it on a nicer day

cinnamon_girl

Yes beesey, that’s the one. 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m around this weekend if anyone fancies a Hack from Hamble. I’ll be on the CX 😀

daftvader
    Free Member

i was thinking about stitching together a ride from cliddesden to alton and back as suggested by hantsnightrider a few pages back… if the boss says i’m allowed out to play after work on saturday

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Allthepies, go long on staplers. 😉

johnj2000
    Free Member

I wish. But I am still,tied up sunning myself in Menorca so bike freedom is yet another weekend away:-(

To be fair the sun and lack of work do make up for it a little 🙂

beesey

Not sure if this has been posted before but thought it might be useful, you can also use it to report problems and it’s pretty good for route planning.

http://maps.hants.gov.uk/rowreporting/default.aspx

johnj2000
    Free Member

johnj2000
    Free Member

Cheers beesy, sun is still shining g here 🙂 only 1 day left 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

a ride from cliddesden to alton and back

*Watches with interest…*

Had a lovely spin along the road from Cliddesden to Dummer the other day. Glorious.

Am hoping for a change in work circs sometime fairly soon, and so normal riding timings should be able to resume. Will see how it goes…..

daftvader
    Free Member

Sorry CFH didn’t manage it, but the route is sound… Just too bloody nackered after work. Did however do a really good night ride from Hatch on Thursday… A circular route from hatch to the Hambledon oil fields and back. Absolutely brilliant, especially the bit where a tawney owl flew into our light beams, landed and waited till we were only a couple of meters away before taking off. Some of the ride was interesting as the woods have had a harvester through… Looks like a nuclear waste land, with no discernable trail! Still managed to get back to the hatch by 10 for a well earned wainwright’s B-)

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,818 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.