Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,818 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • slackalice
    Free Member

Great pics DV 😀 great ride and I took a chance on the rear tyre to get another two yesterday in and around Chawton Woods/ Bushey Leaze 🙄 My depleted stock of patches and tubes is even more so now and really must look for a new 26″ tyre of about 2.0/2.1″

Okay, Sunday 20th, I’m in 😀 Late morning sounds favourable, 11-ish? Happy to meet at chez Bartimaeus or car park, whichever is more convenient for others. As you can see, I am nothing but flexible 😉 Very much looking forward to it, is it the three of us so far? Presuming johnj won’t be able to make it?

As for length of ride, happy to attempt either and will willingly follow our guide for the day and what he feels most appropriate. Over to you Bartimaeus! 😀

daftvader
    Free Member

Next day tyres is your friend slackalice…. that and making a decision!! 😉

slackalice
    Free Member

Yes, its the decision bit that I’m struggling with 🙄

Dare I start a ‘what tyre?’ thread? 😳

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    daftvader
    Free Member

Go on…You know you want to!!!

bartimaeus
    Free Member

A longer ride gives more scope for pub/tea shop diversions…

slackalice
    Free Member

Good thinking! If we were to start late morning, given a stop or two for re-fuelling, what’s the likely length of time please? Just so I can manage expectations 🙂

johnj2000
    Free Member

Sorry guys unless there is an act of god then the shopping trip will be going ahead and I will be single dad for the day. Enjoy the ride and let’s try and make it a regular thing, that is of course if you all get on 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

I’m up for a longer ride, especially if cake is involved!! And I like john’s suggestion for making at a regular event…

slackalice
    Free Member

Nobby Nic EVO Pacestar Triple compound TLR Snakeskin 2.1 won the day 🙂 for those interested. £40 inc 1st class delivery from NDT.

And some rather fetching bar ends from Cyclesurgery 🙂 in green too 8)

I’m not that hungry 😉

daftvader
    Free Member

Green xlite stubbies??? 😉

Steelsreal

while we are on the subject of hampshire riding, I managed to lose my knog blinder somewhere between cheesefoot head and baybridge. MOst probably in the woods bit but if anyone comes across it could you let me know. All black and missing the mount (still on my bars!)…

reward for information leading to safe return of sadly missed illuminator

johnj2000
    Free Member

For sale, one used knog blinder-1 not so careful owner……… 😉

Will keep an eye out if I get up there this weekend, it’s been a while since I rode from cheesefoot.

Steelsreal

Pretty slim chance I know but stranger things have happened….

Would you post that light 😀

Lummox

Just a quickie

*******HEAD DOWN Buriton has been visited by a determined stick man ********

Cleared the path up to the start point for the dh/wiggle waggle etc

Cleared top of wiggle waggle and multiple places along its length

Cleared parts of 200m

Cleared the tight twisty wooded sections that formed part of the last day enduro

Cleared multiple parts of enduro route 4

Some were obvious some less so and they were big obstacles that would catch you out.

Go carefull

slackalice
    Free Member

Thanks for heads up, will keep a wary eye

cinnamon_girl

Steelsreal – I sometimes ride there, actually was headed there today but tubeless tyre exploded on the trail. 😯 Will be up there again so will watch out.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Great ride tonight from titchfield abbey to wickham railway. Up into Bere forest and from there I am lost, little bit of road but mostly off road stuff, really enjoyed it despite my riding partner big Shep who cheats on hills. I have proof now that 29rs are massively quicker than 26rs on hills going up 😉

bartimaeus
    Free Member

So… Sunday 20th. Who’s in, so we can agree a time? I’m thinking 3-4 hours or so riding plus time for pub/cake stops… so if it’s a mid morning start we will be out over lunch time.

daftvader
    Free Member

I’m definitely in… And a mid morning start is good for me, about 11ish?? just tell me where I need to be and I’ll be there

slackalice
    Free Member

I’m in! Ditto above.

frogstomp

Headed out early this morning for a loop from Alresford taking in Cheesyfeet Head and the Meons.. overgrown in places but not too bad for the most part, just blinkin’ hot!

My breakfast stop:

johnj2000
    Free Member

Can anyone advise of an off road route from cheesyfoot head to Andover? I fancy giving riding to work a bash but currently can only get as far as cheesy before I need to join a road and then subsequently the A34 which is never going to happen.

slackalice
    Free Member

@ Bartemaeus & DV – hoping that my long time riding buddy will be joining us on Sunday too 😀

Looking forward to seeing you at 11 tomorrow morning for our ride and especially the cream tea 8)

daftvader
    Free Member

Caaaaake!!! Looks like my friend won’t be able to make it…. But definitely looking forward to it.

cinnamon_girl

Nice pic from frogstomp. 😀

john – there seems to be a few opportunities to cross the A34. There’s an NCN through Winch but looks as though you’d need to pick up the B3420 before hitting the off road trails although if you diverted through Itchen Wood you could really increase the off road trails.

daftvader
    Free Member

Bartimus… Is this ride tomorrow singlespeedable???

slackalice
    Free Member

I’m planning on riding my PYGA if that helps you DV 😀

Or have you now two bikes in bits? 😉

Lovely colour though!

daftvader
    Free Member

Weeeeeel… I now have the bits, minus forks, for 2 bikes… Decisions decisions….though tbfit’s probably going to be the canyon so I don’t rush the build on the stanton…. Probably

frogstomp

I’m in for a ride tomorrow.. whereabouts are you starting from?

slackalice
    Free Member

Hi Frogstomp, just sent you a mail with Bartimaeus’ address, which is where we’re meeting at 11am tomorrow

Looking forward to it! 8)

EDIT: Your mail addy in your profile doesn’t seem to want to receive mail, if you’d like to PM me, I’ll send you on the address details.

EDIT: cancel that, my mistake in copying your PM addy. New mail sent.

frogstomp

Nice one.. see you tomorrow!

johnj2000
    Free Member

Enjoy the ride everyone

frogstomp

Great ride today guys.. many thanks to Fergus for the guiding and Tim for the flapjack! B-)

daftvader
    Free Member

no worries, was a great ride, thanks Bartimaus.. however i still am not too sure the words “a nice” and “climb” should be in the same sentence!!!
    so i did the Bavid Daily and took some snaps. i have omitted the ones with facial pics of slackalice (due, we were led to beleive, to legal reasons 😉 😆 ) hopefully bartimaus can supply where the pics were taken

[/url]IMG_1742 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]IMG_1743 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]IMG_1747 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]IMG_1749 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]IMG_1752 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]IMG_1753 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

slackalice
    Free Member

Haha! 😀 What a stonkingly good ride! 8) Big up and thanks to Batimaeus for excellent guiding, forewarning of the trail to come, snippets of local information and for riding so effortlessly up the “nice climbs” 😉

My phone app made it as 27miles and a bit, with an average of just under 9.5mph – which I’m pretty chuffed with over such terrain – although I’m sure Barimaeus and Frostomp would have easily done it quicker, so thank you both for waiting for us at the tops 😀

The route contained a fab mix of everything, wooded single track, SDW, tiny bit’s of road linking, rapid descents that required concentration, the downhill trails at Stoughton that were preceded by all of us admitting that we were definitely in the ‘wheels on the ground’ type of riders and rad gnarr was duly shredded with finesse and maturity 😀 . We had climbs that ranged from ‘nice’, to ‘very nice’, to ‘incredibly nice’, just because it maintained its sharp gradient for so very long… Definitely the Hors Categorie climb of the day – which was all very quickly forgotten with the 2km descent that followed, even though DV picked up the only puncture of the day. We did the decent thing and carried on, safe in the knowledge that the bears would be more apprehensive of him than he of they 😉

Yep, continuous litigation over broken camera lenses and loss of pixels, means that unfortunately, my visage must no longer be captured without due consent, never mind! However, I feel everyone else is fair game and I produced my camera for the main reason for the ride in the first place – namely the cream tea stop 😛

In no particular order, the happy crew include Dom (riding buddy of mine for the last 20+ years 8) ), Bartimaeus, Daftvader and Frogstomp.

And here are our bikes taking a rest during the stop

I think the locations for DV’s pics are:
    Looking over Stoughton
    Top of Kingley Vale – bit hazy for a really good view of the Channel and IOW
    Lunch stop in I think Stoughton
    The next two are Harting Down
    Cream Tea in Compton.

Bartimaues, Frogstomp, daftvader and my mate Dom, thank you all very much for a great ride with great company, gorgeous weather, dry trails and no injuries! 😀 8)

daftvader
    Free Member

Ffs! I still look like a fat hamster!!!

slackalice
    Free Member

I think hamster is a bit harsh! 😉

daftvader
    Free Member

Oi!!! 😆 but it does mean I don’t need to pedal down the hills so much 😉

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Well I really enjoyed that, including the uphill bits… and once you’re ‘up’ you know that it’s time to head ‘down’. Thanks for coming, guys.

Pics (1) Walderton Down at ‘the bar’ overlooking Stoughton, (2) Kingley Vale looking south over Stoke Clump (you have to imagine that you can see Chichester Cathedral and the Isle of Wight as it was very hazy), (3) The Royal Oak at Hooksway, (4) Harting Downs looking NW towards South Harting, (5) Tower Hill ruins, at Uppark, and finally (6) The promised cream tea at the Compton Village Shop and Tea Room – splendid!

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Veloviewer 3D route

According to Strava the climb out of Stoughton is 129m in 1.2km, with the steep section 86m in 500m… today was my 77th and 15th fastest ascent. That one is not ‘a nice climb’!

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,818 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.