Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,822 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

So you just ride off it then, just like that, smart arse 😉 twice now I have bottled it. How did you find the ride back to the top?

No I was there around five on a orange Rocket and I was nowhere near as smooth as you down that route, I can’t get that second jump right, the one which has a turn left just as you land. Bloody love it though.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Get it done while it’s dry! It gets a whole lot more interesting when you’ve no grip.

Lummox

😀 yeh kinda, I think the easiest way is to practice on bombholes, the middle bit is smoother but I know exactly what you mean about a mental block- gap jumps are mine.

The climb back up is a ball ache, don’t think there’s any other way to put it 🙂

johnj2000
    Free Member

Hope to be back there on Sunday evening to try again. That mental block thing is odd isn’t it, with the drop offs like that I can only picture myself going otb with a gap jump I do t have any negative thoughts and u am pretty sure I know my limits on them.

beesey

Lummox, john where is that route? Looks awesome

Lummox

I concur :-), if you’re on strava it’s known as stage 2 of the enduro. The start is a bit tricky to spot now

beesey

Cheers guys

cinnamon_girl

What state will the trails be in after today’s downpours? Mud tyres?? SealSkinz??

bikebouy
    Free Member

Weeeeelllllll I’ve been told I get my Advance1 back early next week from having the SRAM brakes changed, if I wasn’t sodding off to Switzerland later in the week I’d be home and take it for a spin in QECP…

😐

johnj2000
    Free Member

Oops, sorry. Wonder if I can get the post removed, will try.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Bugger, I can’t report my own post can someone else do it for me?

johnj2000
    Free Member

Have sent a mail to the moderators asking for it to be removed. I completely get your point mattbee, got all excited about some good riding and wanted to share.

frogstomp

Has anyone been up around Farley Mount (Winchester) recently? Just wondering how overgrown things are at the moment..

cinnamon_girl

Polite question – does anyone have any contacts within Hampshire Council’s Rights of Way Department or anyone on the Local Access Forum?

E-mail in profile if you prefer. Thanks.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/very-overgrown-rights-of-way-what-happens-in-your-area

cinnamon_girl

frogstomp – sorry can’t help but you’ve reminded me to get over there and enjoy the descent off Beacon Hill. 😀

Edit: was just North of there today.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Sorry frogstomp haven’t been but if it’s like everywhere else you will be attacked by triffid like foliage

beesey

Frogstomp was up there a few weeks ago some of it was seriously overgrown had an off into a bunch of nettles as I couldn’t really see the track as the weeds were chest high. That said most of the bits in the park were ok

johnj2000
    Free Member

Things have slipped. Was just getting back to some level of fitness and then I start a hideous crash diet that appears to have left me with no energy. On the plus side it’s working 🙂 4 more weeks and I should be at my goal weight but by that time I will have lost significant fitness if I don’t ride. Am thinking that I might have to haul my lazy ass out there and pedal despite the lack of energy. Feel free to administer a virtual boot.

I am thinking a long slow SDW ride could be in order rather than the rapid up and down of QECP.

It’s gorgeous out there at the moment isn’t it!

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Come over to West Sussex – Kingley Vale is longer but more gentle climbs, and some fun downhill sections, and you can always do a big XC loop taking in a pub or a cream tea in Compton. One of the main reasons I use Strava is that it says e.g. 2,904 calories burned – which justifies lunch at QE, beer and ice-cream in Buriton and the cream-tea in Compton.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Ahhhh Bartimaeus, if only it were so simple :-). This deist is the one I have scoffed at when others do it, I am a hypocrite of the highest order. I have told others that it’s unhealthy, unnatural, unsustainable, but here I am chasing the quick fix……….and it’s working! Problem is there is no get out clause, once you enter back into normal food the fat eating process stops.

That said, if we remove all the food related content it would be a nice change to ride a new area. Where is the bests place to park the car for a low maintenance, low possibility of lostness kind of ride?

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Adsdean triangle (50 52 23.72 N 0 52 10.68 W), Walderton (50 53 18.3 N 0 52 54.2 W), or Lambdown car park (50 54 26.46 N 0 50 31.43 W)… the DH trails run down to Lambdown, and the descent from the top down to Adsdean is a classic.

I live bottom left of this map, so my usual ride returns on a bridlepath that comes out at the front door of the Woodmancote Arms. I have been known to stop there once or twice.

chiefgrooveguru

I concur :-), if you’re on strava it’s known as stage 2 of the enduro.

Glad to have been of service with my segmentisation! 😉

Looking forward to returning to QECP later this month…

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thanks Bartimaeus, if only I could map read. So if I parked in one of those car parks I could find myself some riding without getting lost or straying onto footpaths? If so I might just give it a go on Saturday morning early doors.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I live bottom left of this map, so my usual ride returns on a bridlepath that comes out at the front door of the Woodmancote Arms. I have been known to stop there once or twice.

This thread I have followed with memories! But this specific area brings back memories of little wanders with my now deceased dog from my time living and working in Funtington. Funtington also bears the birth place to both my my children!

If you went in the Fox & Hounds between 1997 and 2001 you would have met me, my wife, maybe my dog and kids, but definitely my team!

Happy days 🙂 Got back on a bike round there after 8 years not owning one!

arj256
    Free Member

Has anyone been up around Farley Mount (Winchester) recently? Just wondering how overgrown things are at the moment..

Went up there last week, and came back with no skin left to be stung by stingy nettles..
    Never seen it so overgrown!

daftvader
    Free Member

Morning… The drought of riding ends tomorrow… Slackalice and I will be heading out from Basingstoke and taking in some if the scenery round the hanningtons to Kingsclere and the gallops. Anyone fancy joining us drop me a pm and I’ll sort out times and places for you. Won’t be fast, may take in a pub and is about 23ish miles of riding, all bar about 4 or so of which off road….

johnj2000
    Free Member

Bugger! Would have liked that do but am away this weekend. Keep posting the rides though and hopefully get a few of us together in the future.

daftvader
    Free Member

Shame that… I also always do a local ish to me ride on a Tuesday evening, usually around the 10mile mark, usually starting at about 7ish aswell….

cinnamon_girl

There’s nothing like a little ‘break’ to make one appreciate cycling so do hope you both have a great ride in a wonderful part of the county. 🙂

Some pics would be appreciated, I can only dream of the day that I’ll be able to ride that area again. Actually would be interested in your route.

daftvader
    Free Member

its a fairly easy one… would love to send you a gpx file but don’t know how…..

cinnamon_girl

Struggling with hills! Brief description would be good, used to ride that area an awful lot in all weathers – once got caught in sleet on the ridge!

daftvader
    Free Member

I have to email a gpx file to you… it may or may not work….

but after trial and error I may have sorted a screen shot too

[/url]hanningtons by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

slackalice
    Free Member

I do so hope it’s going to be a slow one!

Have spent today with migraine and cuddling the loo 🙁

Looking forward to it though!

daftvader
    Free Member

Oh no! Can do a shorter one if you’d rather?

slackalice
    Free Member

Oh no! This one looks good, I’ll just induce some freakishly awesome skillz, stamina and Salsa HT action 8)

And I’ve managed to keep some food down for a few hours now 😀

daftvader
    Free Member

migraleve (sp?) ftw
    oh and 😆 at the rest!!! 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DV, massive apologies, only just seen your email! Am tied up with other stuff tomorrow, I’m afraid but will make time soon. Again, apologies!

daftvader
    Free Member

no worries CFH, will likely be out again on Tuesday evening for a quick blast around cliddesden if you are up for it?

cinnamon_girl

How was the Hannington ride? Recovered from illness/surgery?

I scared myself to death – first time on the full suss around Longwood and couldn’t believe how quickly I was spat out on the road. 😯 Thank goodness nobody on foot or horse was around. 😀

johnj2000
    Free Member

sounds good cg 🙂

see that big drop off up there ^^^^ you know, the one i was scared to ride? Well i bagged a few hours this evening on our return from the inlaws and took myself off to QECP and i rode the damn thing………………and crashed 🙂 possible broken thumb, scraped arm, torn shorts, and my left side will hurt tomorrow. Mostly miffed about the shorts.

Everything went well, I rode off at a good speed with good body position, reached the bottom and then whoosh! the front end went from under me.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,822 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.