Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,822 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lucky you!

Never been deeper into the place than the Sainsburys at Hatch Warren.

daftvader
    Free Member

Its better than where I grew up…..

mefty
    Free Member

There used to be a road sportive that started at highclere that had a nice route went through kingsclere and back up the upper test.

tobsters
    Free Member

Hi all, sorry… a bit of a thread hijack here, but Hants riding related all the same.

Does anyone know what the Itchen way between Winch and Eastleigh is like after the flooding (or if its still flooded)? I work in Hedge End, live in Winch and would normally ride back via Fairoak-Colden Common-Twyford etc., but I can’t get motivated anymore as its not a great road. So, I was thinking of riding it off-road on the cx bike on the Itchen Way, but need to know if this is a good idea, or possible. It’ll be in the evening, so don’t mind if I’m poaching a bit of footpath and I’ll always stop for walkers etc.

Grateful for any thoughts, or if anyone knows an off-road route to get to Eastleigh from Hedge End (this really could be wishful thinking).

Cheers!

t

I work in Colden Common, and there’s no sign of any flooding. Can’t help with route advice I’m afraid as I live to far away to bike to work now 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

Never been deeper into the place than the Sainsburys at Hatch Warren.

@CFH Berry Brothers warehouse is worth a visit, they can sell you any Amanac vintage going back 60+ years plus some quality bin ends. Any price point you can imagine. I was only pulling your leg about the fenders, have you tried the mucky-nutz, they are incredibly effective and small.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jambalaya, Berry’s is a fine spot, I agree! Used their shop in London for as long as I can remember, so it’s good to have them here as well!

I’ve used all sorts of mudguards in the past, with my fave being the bodged inner tube on the fork brace/arch format. Thing with these forks is that there’s no way to get anything like that in to the gap between tyre and arch. Very low clearance, but as you can see (not my pic!) the top of the arch is full of holes, so mud clearance isn’t an issue.

jambalaya
    Free Member

[aside]
    Berrys in Basingstoke is functional, none of the panelled history of the St James shop, quite a metaphor for donut city itself ! It is where all the bonded wine is kept I understand and most of the deliveries are done from there. Useful to have sat nav to find it as I’ve tried without a few times and you end up driving past on the dual carriageway wondering how to turn off
    [/aside]

Not sure a mucky-Nutz would fit on that fork as you say clearance is a bit fine.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh thanks for the tips and routes, I’m planning a long’un tomorrow up that way now.
    I’m parking in Winney and will ride out of there and back. Should be good for 100klicks from looking at the OS’s and tips you’ve given.

Most
    Excellent

Ta. 😀

Conespanner

Bikebouy – Andover and north test valley now has sustrans route 246 going through it. It makes it’s way to Newbury, but you can head to Ashmansworth and Faccombe and Coombe Gibbet like suggested by CG.

I’m a bit of an anorak regarding a 10 / 15 mile radius of Andover if you want know more having ridden round here and still not bored since 1988!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m a bit of an anorak regarding a 10 / 15 mile radius of Andover

Plantations? 🙂

Conespanner

You need to be hard or stupid to ride in the plantations. A colleague at work spent two weeks in hospital after almost amputating his leg at the back of the deep hole (can’t remember it’s local name) last year, ended up with three plates and 15 pins and one leg 2cm shorter.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Is there a decent LBS in Farnborough? One that can install an in-line brake lever to some drop bars.

cinnamon_girl

Bikeboy – enjoy tomorrow in the sun and please report back as to where you went. 🙂

johnj2000
    Free Member

I work in Andover but haven’t heard of the plantations. Where are they?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yay, I went!! I’ll post the route laters, you’ve got some lovely countryside over there, all new to me and excited to see it.. Went through the Hangers, what a lovely place 😀

daftvader
    Free Member

new route for me on Tuesday evening too…. Starting at four marks, only a little 10 miler but new trail. will let people know what its like. and if its not chucking it down will post some pics too….

cinnamon_girl

Yes, please do chaps. Always interested to hear of new trails and routes. Thanks. 🙂

PS Didn’t ride this weekend, diy beckoned. 🙁

daftvader
    Free Member

cg, its out of the Hampshire councils cycle trails map pack. am a complete convert to owning a garmin!!
    no riding for me either, I was at a works do in Brighton… too much drink and no riding. that said looking at the surrounding countryside down there it looks like there should be some cracking trails

johnj2000
    Free Member

No riding for me either. Wedding all day and all night saturday and didn’t get home until this afternoon. Next weekend for sure

jambalaya
    Free Member

The weather perked up about 5 today so I got changed to get out for a cheeky spin, went to get the bike at which point the heavens opened for 30 minutes, so I retreated 😥

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Daftvader, is that north from Fourmarks towards Bentworth/Wields?

daftvader
    Free Member

HNR, thats the one…

Conespanner

Johnj2000,

The plantations are at the top of Old Winton Road on the ROW. Pass under the A303 heading towards the Hampshire golf club and they are on the left. Good Luck

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The plantations are at the top of Old Winton Road on the ROW. Pass under the A303 heading towards the Hampshire golf club and they are on the left. Good Luck

Luck doesn’t enter in to it! I also wiped out in the bottom of one of the big bombholes many years ago. Silly place to ride, really! Last time I passed through, en route to a rather good lunch in the Clatfords last summer, it was full of persons of a certain type on mini motoX bikes….

knightsolaire
    Free Member

Everywhere is bogs and fallen trees at the moment. Can’t wait for it to dry up a bit.

mlpinto
    Free Member

We’ll I did the Shipwrights Way yesterday, I really enjoyed it.

@ Bikebouy – I’m looking to do this later in the year – did you find it all CX bike friendly? It’s going to be my first long ride on a CX bike with 34/27 as the lowest gear and I was wondering how hilly it is?

I live in Farnham and have done the section out towards Bordon a few times on my MTB but no further than that – did you road ride from Bordon to Liphook or is the whole route now complete?

Thanks for any advice…

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Last time I passed through, en route to a rather good lunch in the Clatfords last summer, it was full of persons of a certain type on mini motoX bikes….

Hasn’t Changed. I often ride past it and that’s all I do now. Used to ride my BMX in there loads as a kid but no interest to take mountain or cx bike in there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

mlpinto – Member

We’ll I did the Shipwrights Way yesterday, I really enjoyed it.

@ Bikebouy – I’m looking to do this later in the year – did you find it all CX bike friendly? It’s going to be my first long ride on a CX bike with 34/27 as the lowest gear and I was wondering how hilly it is?

I live in Farnham and have done the section out towards Bordon a few times on my MTB but no further than that – did you road ride from Bordon to Liphook or is the whole route now complete?

Thanks for any advice…

It’s now mostly (nearly all except a couple of very small sections, 100-200mtrs of road)off road/gravel and Bridleway. It’s so easy to follow, there are lots of signs and you can’t go wrong TBH. I used my CX and it was perfect for it, best bike for it TBH.
    I used the maps off the website (it’s got it’s own site now) and followed the very rudimentary guide, it really is that simple.
    I looked on it as a flight home South, got the Mrs to drop me off in Bordon and headed a few mins from the station. The best bits are it’s very quiet, no one knows it’s there yet, a couple of sections you can see where Horse riders have been but then why wouldn’t they.
    The only hilly bits are near Liphook and QECP, rest is rolling countryside.
    I’m going to do it again with a mate whose keen to see rural south Surrey/Hants, this is perfect.

Only thing I’d say is how are you getting home? The route stops a Portsmouth where the train station is, so easy to head back up on the train.

Well worth doing IMO.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bikebouy – thanks for the info

farawayvisions
    Free Member

I live on the Solent Way and wrote a wee story about one of my trips over on my blog. I’m putting my bike back together after a trip to Ireland so not riding today. It’s really pretty and most of the mud can be avoided.

soma_rich
    Free Member

farawayvisions I live on the Solent Way also 🙂 near Calshot. Where are you?

I’ve been riding the road bike way too much lately!

mlpinto
    Free Member

@bikebouy – great info, thanks.

I shall have a look at the website and will grab the maps from there.

My plan to get home was to hop on the train at Portsmouth as you suggest – I’ll either get a train back to Haslemere and ride home, if the legs feel okay, or maybe to Guildford if my other half can collect me from there.

Just need to find a weekend when my wife can occupy the kids for the day now…

cinnamon_girl

cg, its out of the Hampshire councils cycle trails map pack.

Done that yonks ago and can’t really remember much. Do let us know how you find it! Those route maps are excellent from HCC – they encouraged me to get out into the countryside when I first got an mtb.

Kept meaning to explore more of Chawton Woods, there used to be races there apparently.

farawayvisions
    Free Member

@Soma_Rich I Live near Hamble and Netley Abbey. Opposite side of Southampton Water.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Good stuff bikebuoy – has there been much surfacing work done on the off-road parts of the Shipwright’s Way, or is it the pot luck variety of surfaces you would expect from bridleways and byways?

At some point I’m hoping to try a circular route of Shipwright’s Way, SDW, Downs Link and NDW, not everyone’s cup of tea but will keep me busy 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

mlpinto – Member

@bikebouy
    – great info, thanks.

I shall have a look at the website and will grab the maps from there.

My plan to get home was to hop on the train at Portsmouth as you suggest – I’ll either get a train back to Haslemere and ride home, if the legs feel okay, or maybe to Guildford if my other half can collect me from there.

Just need to find a weekend when my wife can occupy the kids for the day now…

URL for you, be prepared for the rudimentary maps.. 😆
    Shipwrights Way[

cinnamon_girl

FCOL we’ve a C*s*a coffee place opening in my little town. 😯 Will the middle-class Waitrose shoppers flock or is the draw of free coffee too strong?

Gosh I need to ride my bike. 😀

Who’s riding where then this Bank Holiday?

johnj2000
    Free Member

I am hoping to get out at least twice probably once along the sdw and then a mess around at QECP. Anyone else out and about?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup me, cancelled Essex (Blackwater) bash cancelled by my mates (gits) means I’m back home again 😀

That’ll mean tip tap,top of my dancing shoes over the Downs again, ohhh life’s sooo hard these days 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,822 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.