Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hampden sports clinic?
  • somafunk

Has anyone experience of treatment at Hampden Sports Clinic?, I’m considering contacting them with regard to an issue i’ve had with my leg strength/power that from my web researching may be due to a condition referred to as Gluteal Amnesia.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wanmankylung had recommended them to me for my knee issues, they do get a very good name.

BoardinBob

Haven’t used personally but several friends have gone for sports injuries and reported excellent results

hammyuk
    Free Member

If you’re in that area try Roger at Blue Frog – known him a very long time.
    http://bluefrogsportsmassage.com/

somafunk

Cheers peeps, sounds good so i’ll give them a call.

hammyuk – I’ve been waiting for well over a year for the nhs to get their finger out and send me for a biomechanical assessment and to measure my dwindling leg power so i think i need the “full works done” so to speak.

maccruiskeen

I’ve had Ankle Orthotics done by Mhari there – which was great, generous with her time, pulled strings to get stuff made up for me over the Christmas/New Year hols – free follow up for adjustments and so on

somafunk

Got appointment next tuesday afternoon for a full session/assessment – the nhs is great for emergency treatment but for stuff like this it is woefully inadequate.

Shak47

Used them a couple of years ago for a shoulder issue, wasn’t impressed by person working on me, got better treatment at the Physio dept at Maryhill Health Centre on the NHS.

maccruiskeen

Got appointment next tuesday afternoon for a full session/assessment – the nhs is great for emergency treatment but for stuff like this it is woefully inadequate.

Good at saving lives – not so good at saving livelihoods.

If you’re self employed or working for a smaller employer make sure your GP knows that – theres additional funding from the Scottish Gov that pays for things like extra physio appointments that should put you nearer the front of the queue (or more accurately in a different queue because its not NHS money)

In my experience GP’s are bad at asking what your employment situation is so they don’t know when you could be taking advantage of that funding.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Hampden Sports Clinic is one of the best, they are part of Glasgow Uni IIRC. Had treatment there on a couple of occasions when I worked at the stadium. It’s pretty functional but very good.

somafunk

I doubt that would make a difference maccruiskeen, I’ve sacked off any thought of getting the treatment i need on the nhs as i’ve pushing for the above over the past 5+ years. I have had the grand total of two physio appointments in dumfries & galloway but the local physio’s have no knowledge regarding measuring gait/muscle strength/leg power via a watt bike or biomechanical analysis and they merely shrugged their shoulders and blamed the problems on my old spinal injury which i am now starting to realise has no bearing on my leg problems.

15+ years of riding single speeds, and being utterly convinced that no hill deserved to get the better of me has probably brought on my condition so i guess i have myself to blame – we’ll see what they say on tuesday and i’ll take it from there.

somafunk

Quick follow up report after my visit today,

Had the initial consultation this afternoon with Johanne which was incredibly thorough and lasted near enough a full hour – to the point that i now feel feel incredibly vexed (angry?…pissed off?) with regard to my previous physio referrals/consultations down here in Dumfries & Galloway which have consisted of little more than a 5 min sit-down whilst pointing the finger at my previous spinal injury and stating “what do you expect? – you broke your spine, there’s bound to be lifelong problems you have to live with” 👿

Johanne carried out a full assessment of my lower leg mobility (never had this done before) and movement and immediatly picked up on the weakness and problems which are a related to muscle tone in my right hip which is compounded by incredibly tight muscles stretching all the way down the outside of my leg and the original (my first issue to appear) 8yr old problem of my dodgy/dragging right foot that i trip over, she managed to get Mhairi (biomechanist) to consult with me as well (despite not being booked for this) so a plan of further action has been put into place with regard to treatments which include a carbon fibre splint to be fitted next week to aid control of my right foot then Johanne will start work on my muscles and Mhairi will get me walking again, for the first time in 8+ years i feel that there may be a glimmer of a future that does not involve me hobbling about.

It will mean weekly visits up to Glasgow for the foreseeable future at least so a 220mile round trip plus whatever the fees amount to but it’s a small price to pay if it means i will manage to regain some sense of mobility, I’m not expecting any miracles so any improvement at all will be most welcome but they both seem very confidant in achieving a decent outcome for me – fingers crossed.

I just wish i had went and got this problem seen to by a decent physio who knows what they are doing when it first appeared back in 2007 (whilst 3/4 of the way through the 100km merida in the lake district) – since then i have compounded the problem week by week to such an extent that i can now barely walk and reduced to working for a few hours a day before my legs give out and i can’t stand never mind walk – I’ll be having words with my GP (now ex GP i imagine) as for the past 8 odd years he’s been rolling his eyes and openly sighing and smirking when i confront him about my worsening issues, little smug baw faced prick!, if he comes the smart arse doctor routine this time with me he’ll be removing his teeth from the wooden surface of his desk – I’ve lost the past 8 years of my life to his failing to listen to genuine concern.

To finish on a good note though……I feel very positive about the future 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good to hear mate, sounds very promising.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s amazing what money can buy you

somafunk

It’s amazing what money can buy you

Yep, shouldn’t have to come to such seeing as those fat **** who stuff their face with sugary shite and get type 2 diabetes can expect free treatment yet i have to pay but i’m just bitter/annoyed/pissed off (delete as applicable) – ignore my ill informed and prejudicial rant 😉 , expect to see my soulcraft frame and cove hummer up on the classifieds very soon

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yep, shouldn’t have to come to such seeing as those fat **** who stuff their face with sugary shite and get type 2 diabetes

I blame the people who make and sell chocolate. Worse than drug dealers, they are. 😉

somafunk

Damn right perchypanther – every day i have to wrestle with my conscience, I’m well aware i am part of the problem 🙂 , personally i don’t touch the stuff apart from the occasional chunk of madagascar dark 67% or the Ecuador 70% with an espresso.

Just look at those fat laden monstrosities

On my trip to the clinic next tuesday i’ve been warned that i’d better bring chocolates otherwise my session may be painful – I’d better do what they say 😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

every day i have to wrestle with my conscience, I’m well aware i am part of the problem ,

You’ll be part of my problem soon enough. My caravan park opens this weekend which put’s me perilously close to your neck of the woods and the kids love a twirly chocolate moustache. 😀

I hope the guilt burns right through you when you empty my wallet and hasten my obesity problem. You’re a very bad man indeed. 😉

somafunk

Caravan park?, whereabouts?, if you don’t wish to post on here then email is in my profile

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hoddom Castle, outside Annan.

A trip down the Solway is a common occurrence.

A walk on the beach, a twirly chocolate moustache, (even more so now that that’s not in a shed round the back of the house), gem rock museum, Cream o’ galloway. It’s all part of the fun.

somafunk

If you want a wee bike ride next time you head down to the cocoa bean with the kids give me a shout and i’ll take you around my local trails in Kirkcudbright

perchypanther
    Free Member

Appreciate it. 😀

Riding a bike after eatin’ all that delicious chocolate?
    I’d puke for sure. 😳

iainc

Hoddom Castle

ah, what a place – Have been going there every summer camping on a ‘dads and boys’ weekend for past decade. Usually 4 or 5 of us and 8 or 10 kids – great fun 🙂 They guy that runs it is a bit grumpy tho…. 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

My wife’s family have been going there forever and I started going when I was a about 19 – 44 now. We’ve had a static van there for the last 15 odd years.

I even proposed to my wife on the golf course.

iainc

^^^^ have probably sat in the bar on a Sat afternoon at same time – which one of the fat guys with football shirts and tattoos were you ? 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Saturday afternoon in the bar is strictly taps aff as far as I’m concerned 8)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hampden sports clinic?’ is closed to new replies.