• This topic has 49 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Hammond. Annoyed. nsfw.
  • crankboy
    Free Member

the last time I drove in France lots of roundabouts had signs that said “altered priority” as you approached with out specifying what the alteration was which made me careful and confused.

nickc

I ‘think’ the rule no longer applies in France, however it’s best especially through the more rural towns and villages to keep a wary eye out for old boys and dears in battered 2CV “coming in hot” from various side streets! 😆

atlaz
    Free Member

Luxembourg has no rules about roundabouts beyond those on them have priority. Want to drive the entire way around on the outside, no problem. Don’t want to indicate, don’t worry about it. I’m constantly surprised that there aren’t more accidents given I have fairly regular near misses in the car and am regularly having to yell at drivers when on the bike.

Priority on the right here is designated by a triangle with a cross in it on the road. It sometimes comes as quite the surprise, particularly one section of road where there are no less than 8 of them either on the road or the side roads. Sometimes you end up in Mexican standoffs as nobody is entirely sure who has priority any more.

rkk01
    Free Member

Ok, and who routinely obeys the equivalent UK give way to the left rule???

😉

timb34
    Free Member

I ‘think’ the rule no longer applies in France, however it’s best especially through the more rural towns and villages to keep a wary eye out for old boys and dears in battered 2CV “coming in hot” from various side streets!

The rule still applies everywhere UNLESS there are road markings to indicate otherwise.

This puts the driver on main roads in the odd position of having to look for stop lines on every road to their right (and still look out for drunken octagenarian farmers, obviously).

In practice almost all main road have clear stop or give way lines on all joining roads, it’s just in towns and villages that things get nervy.

CountZero

Quality profanity there, and it certainly looks like the van was coming from a smaller side-road.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

He’s not really a Hamster you know.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

I grew up with right priority. What a useless rule.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

A T4 too. Probably on the way to buy some new rims then rushing onto his Dub meeting drop off a hot meal at Clarkson’s hotel.

MSP

and it certainly looks like the van was coming from a smaller side-road.

It isn’t about one road being a foot wider than the other, it is about road classifications. If your on a trunk road or major artery then you have priority and there will likely be road markings to indicate that. No road markings and the chances are that you should give way to the right.

This is actually worth knowing for anybody cycling in countries where this rule applies, if you try to apply some kind of fantasy logic and apply “virtual” road marking as you imagine they would be in the UK giving you the right of way, you could well be painfully corrected.

That said, I have seen enough dash cam videos to not get on a bike in Russia for anything, no matter what the rules of the roads are there, no one seems to give a flying **** about them anyway.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Hammond. Annoyed. nsfw.’ is closed to new replies.