Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hammock curious
  • pb2

I do a bit of bike packing and have some decent gear for it but the idea of kiping in a decent hammock has intrigued me.

As my usual bivi spots tend to be up high with relatively few trees I am just being silly and likely to end up

A – a hunchback ala quasi modo
    B – drowned as the hammock fills up with water when it rains
    C – bitten to bits by the midges who live in the forest
    D – hit in the back of the head by an arrow as the out of work extras from the Revenant look for something to do

Answers on a post card to the usual address, thnx Paul B

qwerty
    Free Member

Which forest has relatively few trees?

pb2

My bike packing rides don’t normally have too much in the way of forest stuff apart from maybe the start and finish areas. We start low,camp/bivi high and naturally return to lowlands. If I/we got hammocks it could mean we need new routes. Hope that clears that up.

jimdubleyou

DD hammocks do a model that you can use as a bivvy – mozzie mesh and poles included.

nedrapier

Love mine. If trees are easier to find than comfy, level ground, you’re onto a winner.

Try biving some different routes with your current set up. If you find some nice routes with good overnight spots with trees/rock spikes, go for a hammock.

If you find you’d rather be up high, maybe the hammock’s not going to work.

qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve considered a hammock – but online research revealed that you may get a cold underneath due to air below you and your sleeping bag being squashed between you & the hammock.

nedrapier

A – not if you find one that lets you lie flat on the diagonal – and maybe not with a “standard hammock, some folk don’t have a problem.
    B – not if you set a tarp
    C – not if you have a bug net
    D – ???

km79
    Free Member

To avoid B and C will result in a setup of similar weight and pack size as a decent lightweight tent. Sometimes it will be easier finding a pitch for the tent, other times easier for the hammock. I have tried hammock, bivi and tent setups. If I could only have one it would be the tent setup, it’s less faff and is good for most scenarios.

nedrapier

I’ve considered a hammock – but online research revealed that you may get a cold underneath due to air below you and your sleeping bag being squashed between you & the hammock.

A lot of hammocks have a sleeve in the bottom where you can slot a mat or a quilt in where it will stay put and keep you warm even if you shift around in the hammock.

STATO
    Free Member

As per km79. To stay dry, unbitten and warm is noticeably more bulk than a bivy, nut that’s not to say its not worth it. Hammocks are great for comfort (if you suit them) especially if you have time to hang around (pun intended) and enjoy the view, presuming you pitch at the edge of the wood of course.

pb2

To avoid B and C will result in a setup of similar weight and pack size as a decent lightweight tent. Sometimes it will be easier finding a pitch for the tent, other times easier for the hammock. I have tried hammock, bivi and tent setups. If I could only have one it would be the tent setup, it’s less faff and is good for most scenarios.

Yep,I sensed that might be the case plus my one man tent is sub 1kg as I have an aversion to extra weight.Shame because it looks to be a good laugh.

nedrapier

Yep,I sensed that might be the case plus my one man tent is sub 1kg as I have an aversion to extra weight. Shame because it looks to be a good laugh.

It is. Can be lovely. And you’re not going on bivi rides in order to just carry as as little as possible. Can be worth a little extra. Like taking a sleeping mat rather than not, or some nice food and beer/whisky. Mine up there ^ is 1.6 kgs.

pb2

Mine up there ^ is 1.6 kgs.

Is that for the hammock and tarp because thats an ok weight. I spent/wasted(?) hours the other evening looking at some fancy American light weight hammock kit,it looked ace but the tarp was circa $260ish but it was the dogs doodahs

nedrapier

Yeah, that’s all in with the bug net, ropes, clips, tarp and guy lines.

The fancy ones are pricey, definitely. Dunno what the Exped Ergo combi goes for now. Got mine half price and it was a hum and haw even then. Going to get my money’s worth out of it, though!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hammock curious’ is closed to new replies.