Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hammersmith flyover…
  • molgrips
    Free Member

…still seems to be closed. I was planning on using it this evening. Better to go around it locally (Chiswick High St) or just take a completely different route?

project
    Free Member

They spent all the money on fancy school games week and non on road maintenance, its a very complicated bridge and strung up by internal canbles that now appear to be snapping.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I woon’t go anywhere near that area, Mol. Ittul be chocka.

In fact it will undoubtedly cause major congestion in the whole of that bit of West London.

I’d praps head north and go via A40-M40-M25-M4, or south via Richmond/Twickenham/A3-M25-M4.

It won’t be pleasant though, I won’t lie to you.

Fish n chips soon? You know you want to….

molgrips
    Free Member

I was thinking Marylebone road then Westway/A40, cutting down to the M4 when the heat’s off. Perhaps the M25.

I did the N Circular on the way here and it was ok but a loooong way. Remind me not to drive again EVEN IF I miss the train.

Elf, yes.. I’d have called you this week but I was knackered.

molgrips
    Free Member

Orrr… the A3 then the A205 Richmond Road, then over Kew bridge and pick up the M4…

crispo
    Free Member

I was chatting to the guys who are monitoring all the internal of that at the moment at work just before christmas, if I had known there was going to be a Singletrack topic on it I would have paid more attention.

I do know that there is a heck of a lot of monitoring going on inside it at the moment, but it was a night shift so I cant really remember what……

kimbers

i cycle past every day

its chaos!!;
    theyve now got pcsos on all the roundabouts and junctions from the m4 onwards
    still saw a motorcyclist / audi interface aftermath this morning

if you can avoid rush hour chiswick high road is probably fine

or via shepherds bush along the A40, depends where you are heading

I also noticed there was a load of surveyors checking out the M4 flyover this morning, Im guessing it was built the same time as teh hammersmith one and its certainly got lumps of concrete fallen off some theyve patched up some still exposed steel

if they have to close the M4 too itll be even worse!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Surely it will be chaos for a long time, they spent two weeks over christmas just examining it and not actually do any work on it.

Have they started work yet?

project
    Free Member

Itrs a very difficult job, its basicly made up of huge lumps os concrete, all threaded onto huge steel cables that go through the blocks and are anchored at each end, and its thes wires that have coroded and some snapped, problem is how to replace them and where to get the highly skiled workforce from to do it, media studies graduates need not apply.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/22190.aspx

http://www.engineering-timelines.com/scripts/engineeringItem.asp?id=1164

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Can McMoonter’s tree not be used to repair it?

wingnuts

piedi di formaggio – Member
    Can McMoonter’s tree not be used to repair it?

Just peed myself

molgrips
    Free Member

I need the M4. I’m coming from Canary Wharf, so I’m thinking the Rotherhithe tunnel, then the A3/South Circular and Kew Bridge.

lazybike
    Free Member

Sth circ can be a bit slow, maybe go 102/406, longer, but usually quicker.

molgrips
    Free Member

The north circular? That took ages coming here, and it wasn’t that busy.

lazybike
    Free Member

If you go sth you’re on single lane roads, unless you’re driving a bus, always seems really slow to me. 406 gives you A10/m25 if you get stuck.

project
    Free Member

Other forms of transport are available , like buses, those big red boxes, available in various colours, electric, diesel, gas powered,hybrid, trains,electric and diesel, third rail or overhead catenery,underground or overground, hire bikes sponsored by a banking company, your own bike, taxis,private hire cars, luxury coaches,and limited stop coaches.

I personally use the sewers.

grantway
    Free Member

Molgrips i take it your not staying in East London then

Andy

Canary wharf out west?

M11-M25-M40-A404m-M4 – long but quickest IMO. i wouldn’t go anywhere near Southwest London or the traffic lights known as the S circ

molgrips
    Free Member

Grantway it’ll be one or two nights a week I think for now. Next week we need to meet up though.. get some food tho not on the lash.. 🙂

Project – normally train and bike or tube.

Andy – that’s miles! The fastest trip I did was direct through the middle, took me 45 minutes in the evening. Last night I went through somewhere south of the river for a long time – wasn’t quick but it was ok. Plus I got lost a bit.

hora
    Free Member

One lane traffic each way and ban commercial vehicles?

mudshark
    Free Member

I used to live near there and I’m sure I remember seeing exposed rusty cables where lumps of concrete had fallen off, so doesn’t seem to me that this is a recent discovery.

djglover
    Free Member

Uxbridge Road, then down through ealing to glaxo then down A30/A4

HTH

grantway
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Grantway it’ll be one or two nights a week I think for now. Next week we need to meet up though.. get some food tho not on the lash..

OK Matey email me when your ready na no lash mate mid week killer for me 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah what? Nae bev?

Shame, cos they’ve got some amazing beers on down at the Union at the mo….

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hammersmith flyover…’ is closed to new replies.