Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hammerschmidt drivetrain, got one or used one?
  • Moonhead
    Free Member

Was looking at this bike today;

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2100

Looks like a well kitted out bike but as it’s an order only job from Germany pretty much no chance of testing one out. Not sure if I could risk spending that much on something I can’t sit on first.

The Hammerschmidt looks like it might be a great idea but anyone on STW got any first hand experiance?

Also, anyone own or played on a Canyon Strive? What are your thoughts?

akira

Got a Hammerschmidt, been running it for about a year.
    Good points:
    Instant shifting
    Great ground clearance
    Shift when stationary or under pressure.
    No need for bashguard or chain device.
    Bad points:
    Slight drag in Overdrive
    Heavy
    Overall I really like it and would recommend it.

carbon337
    Free Member

fixes problems that dont exist in my opinion.

akira

You never been storming up a climb and realised you are in too big a gear to get all the way up?

carbon337
    Free Member

no… well not that I can remember recently anyway – is that the only positive against the weight and drag?

I’ve ridden one – dont get me wrong it was ok but I dont see the point.

cookeaa

You never been storming up a climb and realised you are in too big a gear to get all the way up?

I came factory fitted with eyes (Cheers Mum), these allow me to look ahead, read the trail and change gear as and when I need to…

Moonhead
    Free Member

Akira, thanks for your input.

Yes I have realised i’m in the wrong gear going up and end up crunching my gears to get in the right one. Rider fail I suppose, does the Hammerschmidt help in this respect? Having never used one I’m trying to get my head round it.

Not worried about the weight but the drag is an interesting point, does it really bother you? And in what situations?

akira

Basically you can shift under pressure and really quickly, in situations where you normally stall or crunch into a smaller ring it’s nice and easy to change down and keep on pedaling.
    The drag is noticeable but not huge, tends to be when you’re in the larger gear and travelling at a bit more speed so it’s not something I’ve worried about.
    Yeah I have eyes too but I sometimes misjudge things……..
    I’ll admit they’re not perfect but I like them.

Moonhead
    Free Member

Cheers Akira,

Yes like you say maybe not perfect but I really like the sound of it. Lots of pro’s. If I go for the Canyon will defo have the Hammerschmidt option.

They are so expensive that I can’t afford to get one to have a go with but I’m thinking if we don’t get on it can just go on ebay in favour of something more traditional.

Thanks again

messiah
    Free Member

Takes a change in gear usage to get the best from it to avoid the drag, which is not that bad but noticeable. When riding my HS equiped bike I very avoid using the overdrive and work across the rear sprockets much more, but as soon as you hit a doonhall drop the hammer and go – calling it an overdrive is a great way to think about it – then as soon as you lose speed or stall flick the HS back to normal mode and your good to go… For techy riding I think it’s brilliant and it really suits where and how I ride.

I wouldn’t put one on an XC bike where I spend most of the time in the middle/big sproeckets but for a 30+lbs AM bike and where I ride it’s worth the weight and drag.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hammerschmidt drivetrain, got one or used one?’ is closed to new replies.