Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hammerschmidt + Alfine…
  • psychle
    Free Member

Would it work??

rs
    Free Member

dunno but this is one interesting looking bike your thinking about.

MrNutt
    Free Member

perhaps in california, dunno about the UK’s “wrong kind of mud”

ir_bandito
    Free Member

but would it cost less/perform better than a Rohloff?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think it would work, yes. Do we have a clue on Hammschidt cost yet?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

**** expensive is the official line 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

ah but the frame it’s going on isn’t costing a vast amount 🙂 Dialled Alpine + Specialized E150 fork + alfine + hammerschmidt = a fantabulous trail bike??

jam-bo

is an XT or X9 drivetrain that bad? hammerschmit seems to be a solution looking for a problem….

goog
    Free Member

it’ll work fine and yes you’ll look a reet tit

Stoner
    Free Member

*puts down calculator*

apparently the hammerschmidt comes with a 22 or 24T chainring and the overdrive will give you 1.6 over that, so either 36T or 38T equivalent.

The alfine can take a 18T or 20T.
    at 20T the range is 15″ to 76″
    400%

a standard 22/32/42 chainset and 11:32 cassette will give you a range of
    18″ to 99″
    450%

So in terms of gears it seems fine. I thought there might be a limit on the size of the chainring up front allowed (as in the smallest) but cant find anything on it.

a11y

I don’t think I’d want an Alfine hub on a bike like an Alpine – if you’re intending using the bike like it should, then I’m not sure the Alfine would take kindly to any sort of big drops or jumps. That’s one of the reasons I’m rejiging my stable to include a conventionally-geared hardtail as well as my Alfine’d one.

james
    Free Member

“Dialled Alpine + Specialized E150 fork + alfine + hammerschmidt = a fantabulous trail bike??”
    I thought the E150 had **** all mud clearance?
    A triple clamp fork on an alpine, that really would look gash

“but would it cost less/perform better than a Rohloff?”
    I thought the hammerschimdt had loads of inherent drag/friction?
    I seem to recall (though probably wrong) seeing the hammerschmidt was going to be around the £500 mark. So plus an alfine is about the same as a rohloff? Probably weighs more than a Rohloff setup as well

It would use triggers front and rear instead of a twist grip though

paulosoxo
    Free Member

and you need an iscg mount

BigDummy
    Free Member

Didn’t Ash/sapaudia use an Alfine on his Alpine for guiding in the Alps? (say that quickly when you’re pished!)

rolfharris
    Free Member

Hub gears can take plenty of stick- vanderham used a Rohloff til recently.

However, an Alfine weights 1600g, plus the weight of a hammerschmidt. A rohloff weights 1700g, as well as being about the same price as a hammerschmidt + alfine wheel build.

psychle
    Free Member

well… I already have an alfine and a spare E150 fork… just add in an Alpine frame and the Hammerschmidt and my bike is done…

psychle
    Free Member

of course, don’t really need the Hammerschmidt side of things, a single cog up front would be fine I’m sure 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

How about using 2 rings and a bash, with a shadow mech and a 9-speed cassette on the back?

😉

psychle
    Free Member

why be conventional? 😉

rj
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you be cheaper just buying another bike for when that one gets a bit dirty>

psychle
    Free Member

??

rolfharris
    Free Member

I’ll be honest mate, I ran an Evil Sovereign with a Rohloff for a while and I found that on this sort of bike, a hub gear adds too much weight. A hardcore hardtail is already pretty heavy- about 30lbs, and you add a hub gear and you have something that’s a pain to drag up a hill- mine was 34.5lbs with a pretty trim build- Thomson, All Mountain SLs, 5.1 rims. I’d say go for normal gears on a hardcore hardtail.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hammerschmidt + Alfine…’ is closed to new replies.