Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hammerschmidt alternative. Looks interesting!
  • ska-49
    Free Member

Efneo Building Front Chainring Gearbox to Fit in Standard Bicycle Frames

I think it looks good! It’ll be interesting to see what happens to the concept in the future..

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Hammerschmidt…

There’s a product I don’t hear people talking about too much these days, I thought it was the future of MTB?

ratherbeintobago

I think even SRAM have given up on it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thepodge
    Free Member

Interesting but there are enough similar sized people knocking out full gearboxes that I really can’t see much demand for this

lemonysam
    Free Member

It’s a very cool looking concept but that prototype looks like it’s been stripped off a WWII tank found in a bog somewhere.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure it’s needed, is it? A Rohloff already offers the same spread as 3×9, doesn’t it? More or less?

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve been doing Mountain Drives for at least a decade – fit into a standard frame, and different versions with different ratios:

fourbanger
    Free Member

8 speed Alfine is about £150, Rohloff is £900. Assuing they can bring this in under £750 it’s looking promising.

ampthill

I thought the big market was with a rear a standard multi speed cassette but allowing use of a chain device?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

NO NEED!

1 X 10 all the way.

32T chainring with a 11-36T cassette is perfect for trail centre riding IMO.

And when 11 speed cassettes hit the market, at a guess 36T chainring will be even better IMO.

No need for any heavy gearbox nonsense, just something else to go wrong.

andrewh
    Free Member

NO NEED!

1 X 10 all the way.

Gearboxes could keep all the gubbins out of the way of mud and rocks though, in a way that 1X10 doesn’t. And make for better weight distribution than a Rohloff.
    Gearboxes are definately the future. I’m not convinced they are the present but it’s nice to see people giving it a go.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

perfect for trail centre riding

well there’s your limitation, right there.

I’ve been riding a Rohloff for 4 years now. /once you learn to cope with the different weight distribution, the advantages are immense.
    I’ve also had an alfine-8 which was good, but nothing compared to the Rohly, and still ride SS also.

2 and 3-stage BB/crank mounted gears could be useful if they’re cheap enough to be combined with a cheaper hub-gear. i remeber people talking about combining the Hammershmidt with an Alfine. Sure it gives the spread of gears of a triple setup, but for the cost and weight of a Rohly with added complexity. And sadly Shlumpf drives aren’t uch cheaper.

Most exciting thing I’ve seen is the Pinion gear-box. Would love to give one of those a go. especially on the Nicolai they’ve built for it. If only they could figure out a way for a concentric main pivot, then it could go belt-drive too…..

Edit – just watched the video again. Massive advantages for city bikes, and could realistically replace a triple chainset if its cheap enough….

legend
    Free Member

32T chainring with a 11-36T cassette is perfect for trail centre riding IMO.

even my weedy legs can outsprint a 32-11 combo, needs to be bigger imo

ianpinder
    Free Member

ir – where are you based?

ianpinder
    Free Member

ir – where are you based?

messiah
    Free Member

Love my HammerSchmidt, proper spread of gears for proper mountain riding.

This looks interesting.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bencooper….can I rent your schlumpf tool for a couple of days pleeaase? xx

bencooper
    Free Member

The mitring one? Sure, as long as you give it back unlike the last bike shop I lent one to 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ianpinder – I’m in Northumberland. How’s your Pinion?

thepodge
    Free Member

As much as I like the pinion I think the effi-gear will be better once it’s in full production

And they have it demonstrated with a belt drive

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Hammerschmidt alternative. Looks interesting!’ is closed to new replies.