Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hamilton watches, anyone got one?
  • failedengineer

I’m liking the look of a Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic to add to my watch collection (currently 2), because I’ve got a ‘Big’ birthday coming up. I know that STW is one of the leading authorities on all things watch-related, so …..

winston
    Free Member

Yep – have that very watch in the smaller size with the stainless strap.

Perfect day to day watch for me – right size so it slips under sleeves, reasonably tough and waterproof though I don’t wear it for sports or riding but if I end up doing something sporty in it I don’t worry

Its very accurate for a ‘cheap’ auto

Has a heritage and it looks great with nice details. As a plus point its worth as much now as when I bought it 10 years ago

Get one

jfletch
    Free Member

I have the Khaki Automatic x-wind. Very nice everyday watch, keeps good time having just been serviced after 6 years of ownership.

Would recomend.

mikeyd
    Free Member

Hamilton Khaki GMT Navy here, losing 4s/day. Bought 2nd hand – there is quite a choice on ebay.

failedengineer

Sounds a good choice …..

Xylene
    Free Member

Check out Orient watches as well

unovolo
    Free Member

Hamiltons are nice but I’d be going from some home grown talent from either Precista or Smiths over on timefactors.
    http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I know nothing about watches. But the brandname “tudor” comes to mind whenever anyone here mentions “watch”.

CountZero

deadlydarcy – Member
    I know nothing about watches. But the brandname “tudor” comes to mind whenever anyone here mentions “watch”.

[snigger]

deepreddave
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve the Khaki Navy GMT as above on a bracelet. Good quality for the price. Mine’s nearer 2s a day max but depends on how I lie at night. The smaller 38mm is nice but I prefer a 200m wr than 100m.

Check out sales/deals and also look at 2nd hand if you’ve a budget c500-1000. Oh and remember autos are mechanical marvels but they will need a service at some point and the higher the rrp the higher the cost. usually 🙂

Alpha1653

They are really, really nice watches. Unfortunately I wouldn’t trust the build quality of the Hamilton Khaki Automatic. I bought one for my 30th but only a few weeks later on a sunny walk it developed condensation which wouldn’t go away. It was never worn in the shower or bath and never used for swimming. It went back to the shop and was replaced with another. Same thing happened so I got a refund.

However, I wrote it off to a bad batch and bought the same watch from another shop in Bristol. After less than a week, more condensation appeared. At that point, I gave up. Lovely to look at and reasonably accurate but pretty much useless.

scaredypants

will any of these watches make me look like a shit james bond wannabee, circa 1965 ?

(I have an old wetsuit and a big pop bottle wrapped in tinfoil all ready to go)

deepreddave
    Free Member

scaredy – err no. More of an American heritage so not really Bond or like what the Omega. Unless you mean Nigel Bond the snooker player or Jenny Bond the newsreader as then I can’t comment 🙂

vinnyeh

RAF pilots chronograph issued 1970,
    G10, British army, issued 1973.

scaredypants

deepreddave – was hoping for some of this sort of thing

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have a book on the omega speedmaster. I like how the omega was chosen by NASA after a bunch of tough tests, but they had to do a second set of tests after Hamilton complained that NASA should have tested an American watch.

Hamilton failed the second test, but it turned out that they had used a Swiss movement for their watch anyway as they didn’t have anything good enough!

Alpha1653

deepreddave – was hoping for some of this sort of thing

I definitely wouldn’t do that with a Hamilton!!

mssansserif
    Free Member

Had my viewmatic for nearly 2 years. Keeps good time for an auto never had any issues.

failedengineer

Thanks for the replies. it was the Khaki Auto I was thinking of getting! However, I’ve now spotted a Certina DS podium which looks a bit nicer (but costs a bit more) Any comments on Certina? Same company and movement as Hamilton (Swatch Group, ETA 2824).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hamilton watches, anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.