Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hamilton watches
  • Hadge
    Free Member

Seen a nice Hamilton Khaki X Wind Chrono up for sale and thinking of getting it. I was looking at some nice new Elliot Brown watches too but wondered what the STW members thought of either so fire away with any thoughts.

Scapegoat

I treated myself to a Field Khaki Auto last year, and love it. Solid, robust and understated. That chrono looks good. Bit big for my tastes, but looks good with black face and tan strap.

chubstr
    Free Member

That Khaki X Wind is lovely.

I really like the Jazzmaster

Alpha1653

I bought myself a Hamilton khaki field automatic as a 30th birthday present: looks great, apparently robust, water resistant to 100m etc. However, it developed condensation under the glass within a week so was returned and I was told I shouldn’t have worn it in the shower. They only replaced it when I pointed out that I hadn’t worn it in a shower, bath or swimming pool as I didn’t want to degrade the strap.

Replacement did the same after 3 weeks. I gave up when the 3rd made it just past the month. Great watches to look at; utterly useless in real life.

However, I bought an Elliot Brown Canfield a year later and it’s great. Ok, not automatic but after a year of getting thrashed, there’s not a mark on it. I had a few questions before I bought it so rang them up; phone was answered by Alex Brown himself, a lovely bloke. And, he was the designer of the original (indutructible) Animal watches.

I knew which I would buy again.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Very good looking watches, but I find it hard to look past Omegas, Breitlings etc.
    My next fancy watch will likely be one of these…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Hamilton is the company that complained that Nasa had chosen Omega Speedmasters for astronaut usage as they should be using an American watch.

So Nasa collected a load of watches again and ran the same tests that had resulted in the speedy being chosen before.

And the watch Hamilton submitted, and failed, was found to be using a Swiss movement anyway 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

That jassmaster is a good looking watch for the money though…

epicyclo

Buy a watch from a company that actually makes their own movements.

Anything else is just a branding exercise.

Vortexracing

Those Elliot Brown Canford watches look very nice 🙂

I’m looking out for a nice watch for my 50th, a Hamilton was on the top of my list, but now I’m not sure.

My Tissot seems to have been faultless (except having to change batteries)

The likes of Omega and Tag are out of my price range, which is around £500, but Raymond Weil seems to keep creeping in to my list.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

For 500 you should also look at timefactors

http://timefactors.com/index.htm

lapdog
    Free Member

Schofield make some great looking watches and are worth a look. British company as well if that is something you consider a factor in your decision.

Vortexracing

For 500 you should also look at timefactors

cheers for the heads up Turnerguy, he has some nice ones

those Speedbirds are nice

jamj1974

Some of those Timefactors watches are seriously lovely.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

For nealry double your budget you could get the dreadnought – the old one was sought after I believe.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Chronomaster.co.uk is also a good site for watches:

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/

the Sinns used to be a good shout but they have got a lot more expensive in recent years.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Marcello C at 495 :

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/marcello-c/watches/sports-watches/marcello-c-classic-wristwatch-silver-dial/mac-01/

In fact there’s quite a few nice looking watches there for around 500.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hamilton watches’ is closed to new replies.