Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hamburg – anyone been?
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

Me and the missus have booked a very spontaneous trip to Hamburg. Has anyone been?

Any tips of where to visit, eat etc?

Thanks

zippykona

I know of some dodgy car parks where ladies don’t seem to have much in the way of clothes.

888trojan888
    Free Member

Ha ha………..my good lady may have a something to ay about that

djglover
    Free Member

Its a great place, if you like ladies with not much on

and beer

and pork

On the otherhand you could take a pleasure boat ride around the container port

spacemonkey

Spent a few days over there with work a while back. Was pretty much permanently on the lash so all I can remember are the Reeperbahn, bars/pubs/clubs and the greasy food parade near the station.

No doubt it had way more to offer than we were interested in (at that time), but it wouldn’t be on my shortlist of places to revisit.

jekkyl

It’s awful, cancel it and go somewhere else iiwy, there are much nicer places in the world.

rogermoore

HafenCity is worth a wander around.
    RM.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I went to school there, but unless you fancy hanging about outside a kindergarten, I can’t be much help.

888trojan888
    Free Member

Well I like pork, beer and semi-dress ladies (although I will show absolutely no interest with the missus there of course).

Too late to cancel and got a very good deal

Pigface
    Free Member

I visited a couple of years ago and it was ok. Busy place, large port so has the “area” to cater for people who have been at sea for a while. St Pauli is an interesting football team with a fanatical following.

jekkyl

if you’re into football the hsv stadium tour is okay ish.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Beer Keller at the fish market for an all nighter of beer and umpa bands 😀

stumpy01

I used to work just outside Hamburg at the Airbus site (Finkenwerder) and although I was there for four months, I didn’t really get to see a great deal of it.

There seemed to be some nice places to wander around. And of course there’s the reeperbahn.
    I seem to remember quite a nice outdoor ice rink, but we paid a visit into the centre quite close to Christmas so it could have been tied in with the Christmas markets.

Where are you flying to? Luebeck? If so, be aware that it’s a 90km drive from there to Hamburg. You can get a train from Luebeck.
    If you are that way though, Luebeck is a nice place to visit with some quaint streets and nice buildings.

888trojan888
    Free Member

We are flying direct to Hamburg so only 8km away.

mrmoofo

Plenty to do in Hamburg
    The Reeperbahn – it’s nearly more Beatles than Liverpool
    St Pauli area – funky urban area- great food and street food. As always in Germany, if you don’t fancy pork, go and eat Turkish
    Go and see St Pauli play!
    Drink …
    Maritime heritage
    etc, etc

I like Hamburg

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a good friend who is a local, I’ll get you some recommendations. She loves it there.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Got back from a stag-do there on Sunday.

The good:

The beer is excellent, the locals where (for the most part) very friendly, Hamburg SV’s stadium was really cool and it’s surprisingly all fairly affordable.

Reeperbahn is basically Amsterdam condensed into one big long street – natural habitat for what we were there for (beer and drunken nonsense) but maybe not for a cultural trip with the Mrs!

It seemed like a nice, affluent city (from the little we saw of it) – once you get off the main drinking drag which was rammed with homeless, gypsies and hookers…

alpin
    Free Member

nice town.. almost on a par with Munich, but not really… it’s not that nice.

however, a trip around the port is worth it. lots of boats offering trips around the various ports, canals and other watery bits.

a trip up the bombed out church is interesting and you get a good view of the city.

found a pub on the front somewhere that sold London Pride which somewhat distracted me from the GF’s award presentation when i was there.

nice place on the whole…. enjoy.

spacemonkey

Ah yes, I’m now remembering the Turkish influence when there. One such chap ran a bar and really didn’t see eye to eye with the natives – one night he held a lock-in just for us and shared his green and brown. Joyfully messy.

Philby

Boat trip round the harbour is a must. It’s quite an affluent city and the centre has some great shops. St Pauli area is quite alternative with some good bars.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Hamburg – anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.