Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hamburg ??
  • voodoo_chile

Going soon for gig ,any tips ?

huws
    Free Member

It’s a wonderful place but don’t go anywhere near the Reeperbahn. It’s festering cesspit of lads on tour *****. It’s really hateful.

If you’re going out for a drink, head slightly north of the Reeperbahn to St Pauli or Sternschanze. They’re much more pleasant with better bars and virtually no stag dos. Although German beer is pretty good if you like that sort of thing, finding anything other than fizzy yellow beer is difficult (mostly the local beer Astra). There is some craft brewing in Hamburg and the brewery Ratsherrn has a bar called Altes Mädchen (sternschanze) which has a very good selection of their own and imported delicious brown beers. You may baulk at paying 8-9 euros for a pint of young’s best bitter though, I know I did.

Find a bakery for breakfast and have a franzbrotchen (normal). Delicious local pastry.

Almost everyone speaks English which makes it very easy, annoyingly so if you’re trying to learn German.

Any specific details you need?

jam-bo

watch out for the speed camera on the exit road from the airport.

voodoo_chile

Food and drink info would be nice

zippykona

but don’t go anywhere near the Reeperbahn.

and for another 50……

rascal
    Free Member

Me, the wife and another couple went there this time last year – bloody great place.
    We have friends who live near Mazza hotel in Schlump….did 2 nights at that hotel, and basically did sightseeing, eating and drinking. Sternschanze and St Pauli seemed pretty cool in terms of food and drink. Loads of bars down a road called Schanzenstrabe that runs north to south…if I’m honest I couldn’t tell you the exact bars but the food and beer was great – not pissy lagers at all.
    On the last night we went to Gloria cafebar – loads of German beers and ales and amazing pizza – really chilled and really cheap too – would def recommend – sorry the link is in German – you might find an ‘English’ language on there – 5 mins walk from the main drag I mentioned.

Startseite

Nice bar down by the fishmarket by the docks, though there was a lot of liederhosen on show 😉
    That sell that Ratsherrn here – lovely stuff.

http://eiercarl.de/

The Reep is full is pissed f*cktards and grotters so steer clear unless you want a ruck or cockrot.

When we went the Rugby World Cup was on – we went to The Shamrock Irish bar not far from St Pauli football stadium. It was rammed watching Wales v the Aussies – we lost, I screamed at the telly a lot and got drunk and there was a brill atmos in there that night.

Walked through tunnel under the Elbe, did bus tour, went to huge Saturday market between Stern/St Pauli. Shame you can’t put chairs and tables in your suitcase 😉

They love their graffiti and stickers over there – it’s all over everything that doesn’t move, but weirdly doesn’t look as bad as it does here.

I’ll def go back one day and do the same all over again. Enjoy!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Nice bar down by the fishmarket by the docks,

The Reep is full is pissed f*cktards and grotters so steer clear unless you want a ruck or cockrot.

You do realise that Alte Fischmarkt is pretty much the entire red light district?

I went with the missus and met a friend, Reeperbahn isn’t that bad if you avoid the obvious pits of despair, ie. anything within a block of the main drag. Get a street away and there are plenty of decent bars (including the tiniest and loudest rock bar in the world -die Grotte on Friedrichstrasse), the only exception being Herbertstrasse (the hookers tried to kidnap my friend, my missus was like kryptonite for me luckily). The food down the docks just outside the Elbetunnel is fairly reasonably priced and good and St Pauli is decent enough for wandering about in. My mate went to a gig and ran out of cash, he was still wandering about the next day with someone he had made friends with and drank beer with all night.

yourmywifenow
    Free Member

Tunnel walk under the Elbe is good, boat trip around the docks getting pretty close to the container ships unloading. If you are there Sunday go to the fish market at around 6am it is rammed with stalls selling just about anything, it is a good atmosphere and loads of places to eat and drink.

deadkenny
    Free Member

…er

voodoo_chile

Any hotel recommendations or areas to stay

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Get down the Reeperbahn, its **** great 😆

rosscore
    Free Member

voodoo_chile – Member
    Any hotel recommendations or areas to stay

The George, ‘English style’ boutiquey hotel, very nice. +1 For the sunday morning party down the fish market.
    Sailing club on the lake, if you’re into sailing.

The George

voodoo_chile

Good info thanks all

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hamburg ??’ is closed to new replies.