Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Halstatt – Austria
  • iolo
    Free Member

I’ve just come back from a 4 day break in a very surreal little village that I absolutely loved next to a bloody big lake.
    It’s celtic origins are some of the earliest in europe, it has the oldest slat mine in the world with a great tour and the late church has a tomb filled with painted skulls and bones.
    The chinese love it and theres thousands there daily. They loved it so much they built a $9.8m dollar replica in China.
    If you get the chance go there.

colp

It’s supposed to be beautiful. We’ve got a place an hour or so away but not been to Halstatt yet. One for this Summer.

chewkw
    Free Member

iolo – Member

I’ve just come back from a 4 day break in a very surreal little village that I absolutely loved next to a bloody big lake.

I swam in the lake when I was last there. Froze my bollocks off. I mean it was really freezing cold. Not much tourists from Far East in September 1992 though. In fact there were only some European tourists there except three wild men of North Borneo who swam in the lake for 10 mins. We took the boat from the train station opposite the lake to get to Halstatt.

Six of us camped on the camping ground not far from the row of shops. Bought and eat some very weird heavy Austrian bread (carried it for three days during our European tour) with some bacon.

Spoke to the Austrian shop keepers in North Borneo language. Well, they couldn’t understand English we couldn’t speak a word of Austrian so what the hack might as well speak my own language. 😆 But the Austrian lady was very friendly as she knew we came from the tropical rain forest. We spoke to her using picture drawings.

Friend (English guy) then broke his ankle while climbing some rock there and had to fly home in the evening.

We like Austria as they are very civilised. :mrgreen:

welshfarmer

Last time I was there we were on a caving expedition down the Hirlatz Cave. This is currently one of the longest and deepest caves in Western Europe. The only dry entrance is at the base of the cliff just up the valley from Halstatt and leads to over 100 km of huge passage (the other way in is underwater via the lake). We spent 3 days underground supporting a team of divers pushing the upstream sumps in the furthest recesses of the cave. Great fun. Ambient air temperature of 1 degree and constant strong breeze makes for uncomfortable living.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Halstatt – Austria’ is closed to new replies.