• This topic has 23 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • halp me once again please – new music for the wife for xmas!
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i’m after a couple of CDs for the wife and STW has always come up with great suggestions over the last few years, so…

she tends to like slightly mainstream folky, acoustic with good melodies. last ones i’ve bought she really likes were the staves and laura marling, in the past melody gardot, seth lakeman etc have gone down well. definitely nothing with affected warbling nasally type voice.

any suggestions?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Paging DebZ…..

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

You might want to give First Aid Kit a try.

DezB
    Free Member

slightly mainstream folky, acoustic with good melodies.

+

Paging DebZ..

= does not compute 😆

Paging CountZero!

isto
    Free Member

Of the top of my head, have a listen to these and see what you think:

Nick Mulvey
    Jose Gonzalez
    C Duncan

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Having heard Laura Marling’s ace new single, I was going to recommend her new album Semper Femina

This item will be released on 10 March 2017.

…but then maybe not 🙁

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Steve Gunn is decent

CraigW
    Free Member

Rachel Sermanni
    Admiral Fallow
    Willie Campbell / Open Day Rotation
    Julie Fowlis

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

She needs taking out of her comfort zone, get some Black Sabbath and Frank Zappa albums 😀

RustySpanner

IHN

Bit of a blast from the past, but Turin Brakes?

fasthaggis

[video]https://youtu.be/AgdUxT2Q8VY[/video]

Northwind

David Ford
    Frank Turner

gallowayboy

Slightly mainstream…

King Creosote – vast catalogue, but Bombshell (2007) is his most commercial and From Scotland with Love is a more recent gem
    I am Kloot – Sky at Night and Let it All In are good starting points

and +1 for Martha Tilston

ji
    Free Member

Gabrielle Aplin?
    [video]https://youtu.be/PxNYvk_0Onw[/video]

Or Maybe Ezio?

[video]https://youtu.be/TGQUzDTuV3s?list=PLSjzNiNG2vr-ZE7CDawX44M2HE-IoIgOm[/video]

ElShalimo

+1 King Creosote
    +1 First Aid Kit

Also consider
    The Unthanks
    Bat for Lashes
    The Lemon Twigs
    Michael Kiwanuka
    Father John Misty
    Julia Holter
    Sufjan Stevens

DezB
    Free Member

Nobody mentioned that Wilco yet? saw them on Jools, theyre the sorta thing I reckon. Raved about by the mags and no doubt all over 6music.
    S’all I’ve got 🙂

slackboy

Heidi Talbot – Here we go 1, 2, 3 went down well.

if you haven’t already got it Eddie Readers’ “The Songs of Robert Burns” is great.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Kate Rusby, PJ Harvey, Cate Le Bon, British Sea Power

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Julia Holter is a good shout, or…

[video]http://youtu.be/lIF63KH8N_E[/video]

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cheers everyone, very entertaining sitting here going through all the suggestions and having a listen on prime.

i’ll pitch one in myself too that i found saved on my wish list, i must have heard this on radio 6 a while back, Eilen jewell ‘letters from sinners and strangers’.

CountZero

Paging CountZero!

Sorry, been a bit busy evenings of late, only just spotted this.
    One I bought recently is Agnes Obel’s new album Citizen Of Glass, which is lovely.
    I’d second Heidi Talbot, I’ve got most of hers, and she’s fantastic live, too.
    I have to mention Kris Delmhorst, she has a wonderfully warm voice, and is a superb songwriter too, I started with her third album, Song For A Hurricane, which I bought after seeing her supporting her friend Erin McKeown.
    There’s also Smoke Fairies, Paper Aeroplanes, and Bryde, the offshoot solo project of Sarah Howells, singer with the Aeroplanes.
    Then there’s Aimee Mann, Alice Gold, Hattie Briggs, Ane Brun, Angus & Julia Stone, Patty Griffin, Inara George, Hem, Jesca Hoop, Jenny Queen, Emma Pollock, Karine Polwart, Lisa Hannigan, Hannah Peel, who does wonderful things with a hand-cranked mechanical music box that uses punched cards, that Hannah makes herself.
    Oh, and Gemma Hayes, a criminally underrated Irish singer/songwriter who’s career I’ve been following for fifteen years; she’s got a beautiful voice, is a terrific songwriter, and is a really lovely person to talk to, all of her albums are worth checking out.
    There’s loads more out there.
    Enjoy! 😀
    Of course, someone mentioned the lovely Eddi Reader, whose entire back-catalogue is worth investing in, but also there’s the band she started with, Fairground Attraction, who only released one album, but a beauty, First Of A Million Kisses, which is getting a long-overdue re-release, remastered, with a bunch of additional material.
    The original release sounds a bit muffled, the sonic equivalent to looking into a really dusty mirror, it’s been crying out to be remastered, so I’m chuffed that it’s finally happening.
    I’ll be able to get Eddi to sign this one as well! 😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Try these.

Frank Turner – Any album but positive songs for negative people is probably as good an entry point as any (Earlier stuff is a little more shouty)

Will Varley – Kingsdown Sundown is a lovely album although all the tracks are fairly similar, Postcards from Ursa Minor is a little weirder but is a very varied album no two tracks feel all that similar.

Conor Oberst – Ruminations, possibly a bit dark and maybe a bit too Dylan but a good album none the less.

Billie Marten – Writing Blues and Yellows, Beautiful album one of my favourites this year.

Julia Holter – Have You in my Wilderness, definetly at the more pop end of folk but worth shortlisting.

Emma Pollock – In Search of Harperfield, mentioned above but it is very good

JoeG
    Free Member

😉

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ISe0fdoaPs[/video]

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘halp me once again please – new music for the wife for xmas!’ is closed to new replies.