Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hallway bike stand / rack choices
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

Trying to tidy the hallway a bit and looking for a means of sticking bikes on a stand, ideally with two one above each other (freeing space for other hallway stuff… or more bikes 😀 ).

Being MTBs with wide bars and a narrow hallway the front wheels have to come off so has to cope balancing a bike without the front wheel.

Various options and at the moment going by reviews on durability and space saving I’m looking at this one at the moment…

http://www.topeak.com/products/storageanddisplay/dual-touchbikestand

Anyone got one of these, and if so what do you think? Aside from *expensive!* – though it does seem good build quality from what people are saying. It looks like it would fit flush to the wall and doesn’t need fixing to the wall, just works as a jack between floor and ceiling I think.

This was another option but I’m put off by a few comments saying the bikes end up sticking out a fair way into the hall so no different to just stacking two bikes side by side (which I don’t have enough space for)…

http://www.saris.com/product/bike-bunk

Another, much cheaper option is http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/gear-up-lean-machine-gravity-rack/rp-prod50398

… which looks good, but the reviews in various places say about the poor build quality of the thing, plus it needs fixing to the wall apparently. Looks like it sticks out from the wall a bit also.

And before you ask, yes the other option is just hooks on the wall. I’ve got hooks (freebie with some magazine), but I have swiss cheese walls and tend to crumble if I have fixings that are going to get constant use hooking on and off the wall.

Stoner
    Free Member

many moons ago on s similar thread I posted this:

A batten, a bungee. All done.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Neat. Does mean fixing stuff to the wall. I’m just not confident of a 32lbs bike holding with my soft walls. I can put deeper screws in but it’s a party wall with neighbour and thin. Have had issues in the past.

That said I could put the big bike on the floor as current and just have one fixing above it for the hard tail which is lighter. Just these stands look nice and it would keep muddy wheels off the floor perhaps.

Stoner
    Free Member

You can easily make a spreader board. Cut a 1′ x 3’* piece of ply, screw the batten to that from the back and then mount the spreader board on the wall with relatively small, but numerous screws. Plenty of load bearing without problems. With the batten at the bottom of the spreader boards, the board acts as a screen to stop dirty and scuffs on the wall too. Line it with some vinyl and you can even wipe it clean.

* check your wheelbase.

danrandon
    Free Member

http://glasgowmbc.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/stand.jpg

aldi had some of these quite recently, may be worth checking your local store to see if they still have any

deadkenny
    Free Member

@Stoner – what about if you don’t have the front wheel on? I have to remove it to turn the bars as 750mm bars takes up almost the width of the hall!

Though if it’s just one above head height it wouldn’t matter so much. So long as no one over 6 foot walks into my hall 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

chain an allen key to the batten and loosen your stem bolts.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hmm, it would surely risk play in the headset each ride if not faffed about with enough? Usually I get it right when I’ve messed with stem/headset, but sometimes I end up having to adjust it mid ride.

Stoner
    Free Member

but sometimes I end up having to adjust it mid ride.

learn to do it properly then 😉

I loosen mine off all the time when fitting to the car rack. Never had a problem. 5mm allen key, straighten, quick nip on SFN nut, alternating tightening of stem clamp bolts, back of SFN nut 1/4 turn.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I can spend hours just fussing over whether it’s lined up right 😀

nwmlarge
    Free Member

if you take the front wheel off they will most likely topple backwards as they will be too heavy toward the rear?

plus i’d be wary of visitors squeezing a lever with no disc in place.

Depending on how long your hallway is you could get two stands and put the bikes as high up as possible so you walk under the bars?

deadkenny
    Free Member

It is a long enough hallway. Though was thinking by freeing up space stacking two one above each other, I’d have space then for two more bikes 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hallway bike stand / rack choices’ is closed to new replies.