Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Halifax rant!
  • allyst170
    Free Member

Bought an old property last year that needs renovating/extending. Got mortgage through Halifax who told me borrowing extra to do up the place wouldn't be an issue. Moved in and applied for more cash, they said no you have to have had mortgage 6 months, even though I'd had it for years they classed it as new cause it moved to the new property. So here we are 6 months later and tried again. Currently little equity in house, they sent a surveyor out to look at the plans my architect has done. Planning all passed etc and ready to go. They reckon I'll increase the house value by £80,000 and I budget £50k for the work. So I'll be within 80% LTV. They've said OK to borrowing the money but with one huge catch, I do the work before they'll pay out. Bit gutted if I had 50K I wouldn't be asking them, plus they never told me this would be the case. Even when I met with them a few weeks ago they said they give me the cash upfront. I was a bit surprised as I thought they'd split it to coincide with stages of the project. If I'd known this from the start i wouldn't have bought the house. Any ideas what to do next?

Stoner
    Free Member

go back to them and ask for 2 or 3 staged drawdowns of 15-20k each (assuming you can afford the 15-20k on builder/merchant credit plus your own personal cash/credit facilities)

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Staged payments, starts with purchase of materials & potentially a small deposit to builder to get going, etc.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Dump halifax

Houns

Thought this was going to be about their dire adverts. Come back Howard all is forgiven!

BigJohn

This isn't about the trail guide in the mag then?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Halifax rant!’ is closed to new replies.