• This topic has 54 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by sc-xc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Halfrauds.
  • sc-xc

Just looking for examples of Halfords being involved in fraudulent activities…I see ‘Halfrauds’ here enough to realise that there must have been a number of pretty high profile cases that passed me by.

Can anyone point me to any links etc?

Cheers

Suggsey
    Free Member

Lol, to be fair some of halfrauds staff are getting more knowledgeable the more bike kit they are knocking out at decent click and collect prices!

Jamie
    Free Member

Can anyone point me to any links etc?

‘Halfrauds’ started being used after this story.

parkesie
    Free Member

What are you on about?

Ive paid halfords money for a bike and it arrived and was exactly as described and rather good.

thepurist

Nah Jamie that’s the one where Shimano were exposed as using faeces to make their products, leading to the “Shitmano” scandal.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ah, my mistake. Must have been this one then.

riddoch

I cant believe I’ve just been rickroll’d

tomhoward

Chapeau Jamie….

Jamie
    Free Member

I cant believe I’ve just been rickroll’d

What now?

gogg
    Free Member

twice??

burgatedicky

Well done Jamie, 10/10!

dknwhy

I’ve had a couple of bikes from them and not had a problem. Staff have been really helpful too.
    With 100’s of stores,there are bound to be some poor experiences.
    I think people rush to whinge about them.

damascus
    Free Member

Quality!

Could have been worse, could have been a link to download a virus! We are all so trustworthy on here.

bigblackshed

I bought a bike from them in 2007. The saga would take all night, solicitors would need to be involved again, and I may have the restraining order re-imposed.

Best not.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I see them as being one of the biggest threats to the traditional lbs trade

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I had a terrible experience in 2009, where I used them to source my cycle to work scheme bike.

They ordered me a bike from a brand they don’t usually stock, and it was delivered promptly when they said it would be. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable and the bike itself was well set up. The person doing the transaction even asked if I wanted the naff reflectors fitted that it came with before I left, were happy to do so, but assumed I’d not want them. They were right.

Overall I still have sleepless nights knowing they’d allowed me to leave the store with a a non fat tyre, non rigid, non singlespeed with clown wheels bike that might not fit into an Audi.

Harry_the_Spider

They changed some really awkward to get at bulbs on my car for about 6 quid. The bastards.

mooman
    Free Member

Never had a problem on the few occasions I have used Halfords.
    Can’t say the same for a few LBS I’ve used though ..

cubist
    Free Member

They did undercut every LBS in my vicinity by nearly £30 on a XT cassette and had the audacity to help me dislodge the stuck old one for the princely sum of £0!

PS I really wanted the LBS’ to come up trumps but they wouldn’t budge from £70 and even offered to remove the old one for a tenner. It does make it hard to chose the ‘right’ option!

iolo
    Free Member

They do great socket sets. Buy some pro ones when the sales are on.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve got two Boardman bikes from Halfords which have pretty much faultless…

ste_t
    Free Member

I went in once because there was something I needed.

They had it.

I bought it.

Bastards.

jonnouk
    Free Member

I’ve got no issue with them. I rarely buy bike stuff from them and it was all fine.

I’m usually in their for motorbike & car related sundries.

Top-tip: their Halford Pro socket sets are great value and quality.

Never had an issue with them apart from when they said they had Argon bottles in stock and didn’t when I turned up.

RustySpanner

orangeboy – Member

I see them as being one of the biggest threats to the traditional lbs trade

Did they introduce a myriad of competing standards that LBS’s cannot possibly hope to stock?

Did they suggest that £2000.00 was the amount a beginner should be looking at to spend on a first decent MTB?

No, that would be the bike industry and their media chums.
    Both of which are bigger threats to the long term survivability of the LBS than Halfords, imo.

Kahurangi

Rickrolling Jamie? 2004 wants it’s internet back. GET OUT

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They used to be fairly shocking as a place to buy crap gear at over inflated prices, and then there was the bike stuff. They hit a good market with own brand/cheap filters and oil etc and having all the stuff fora cheap diy car service in stock.

The problem in the Bike Hut was generally due to it being staffed by the same guy who sold banging stereos to the chavs.

It seems they have a business model of buy lots and undercut the rest, probably subsidised by having the shop costs paid for by the automotive side. They managed to upset hope by not sticking to price guides and wanting more discount and to undercut all the LBS – hope told them to go as they saw the value in the LBS in their business model.

garage-dweller

Often buy bits and pieces from them or decathlon. I used to use a little independent in the centre of Southampton but he ended up closing (nice guy, commuting and utility focused shop) but with the proper shops being far from central if I need a tube or puncture kit or cable caps etc I am not going to take the car to work to do an eight mile trip to get that sort of thing.

hot_fiat

It’s not the bike bits that earned them that nickname. Price up a set of discs and pads for your car from them. Then give your local independent car factors a call. You can probably buy a full service kit (oil, filters and plugs) with the difference.

tomhoward

They changed some really awkward to get at bulbs on my car for about 6 quid. The bastards.

My lbs wouldnt even entertain doing that for me. Workshy layabouts….

easygirl

Difference between local auto factors and halfords is the quality of the parts yiu are buying.
    If you price up like for like they wont be much more expensive
    A lot of motor factors **sell cheap brake pads that are verging on dangerous, and wear our in double quick time
    ** sweeping statement, not all auto factors sell cheap imported parts

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m an idiot, what is an auto factor?

Houns

Inserts hidden meatspin link HERE

Anyway, back on track. I view anyone who writes “Halfrauds” or other such witty play on words as being a twunt

(Daily fail/Heil excluded)

scandal42
    Free Member

Decent set of brake pads ordered on Wednesday, delivered to my local store on Thursday.

Bastards

lalazar
    Free Member

Went in last night looking for a head unit for the van. Saw one at £79.99 , sales bloke said come back tomorrow it’s gonna be £25. Can you believe the cheek of it.

shermer75
    Free Member

Your honour I bring to te attention of the court ’exhibit 2′

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They sold me a double-din head unit for the focus for 1/3rd the price it was elsewhere. C****

They even had the cheek to remove half the trim on my car to change a bulb, replace it all properly, and then charge me £6 for the privelage of them doing it there and then while I had to wait!

I even blagged a new new cassette under warrenty for my MTB when it wore out in <6 months. The mechanic even too the time to go through a long list of what wasn’t wrong with my bike when I asked loads of stupid questions like “why is there play here” (shimano freehub), “why doesn’t the adjuster work” (blanking topcap on fork). Not quite so wet behind the ears now, or at least I know that cassetts dont last indefinately!

nealglover
    Free Member

Anyway, back on track. I view anyone who writes “Halfrauds” or other such witty play on words as being a twunt

I see what you did there.

(Did you?)

Houns

Yes, yes I did

ahwiles
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

“I see them as being one of the biggest threats to the traditional lbs trade”

Did they introduce a myriad of competing standards that LBS’s cannot possibly hope to stock?

Did they suggest that £2000.00 was the amount a beginner should be looking at to spend on a first decent MTB?

No, that would be the bike industry and their media chums.
    Both of which are bigger threats to the long term survivability of the LBS than Halfords, imo.

Sir, you make an excellent point.

sc-xc

(Daily fail/Heil excluded)

This is what I mean. I put it up there with ‘wendyball’ and other wacky things…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Halfrauds.’ is closed to new replies.