Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Halfords !! where do I stand
  • VassagoJay
    Free Member

Right, Im having a bit of a problem with Halford and thought I'd ask your opinion on where I stand.

Here's the long story

Just over 3 months ago I got a Boardman Pro road bike from my local Halfords, It was the 08 version and was reduced to £999.
    The first time I took it out the rear cassette fell apart and cracked the freehub, the chain also nearly cut through the spokes !! I took it back and they ordered me a new wheel.
    After 3 weeks of waiting I went back to find no wheel, I was then told it would be another week or so !! as i needed to train for a charity ride I decided to use another wheel until I was sorted.
    Went out for a ride (with non original wheel) and noticed the the rear end of the frame was loose where the chainstay and seat stay join. A trip back to Halfords and they ordered a new frame for me !! A week later I got a call to say that my new frame was in for collection, went to collect it and found they had ordered the wrong size frame!! a week later got another call to say the the new frame and wheel were ready for collection, right frame this time but the wheel was wrong – correct rim but non bladed spokes and a unbranded hub instead of the Ritchey WCS one.
    Was told that I could use this wheel until they sort the correct one.
    Got a call to say the wheel would be available in a month (end of Sept).

Chased them up last week only to be told that they cannot get the wheel yet but Paligap are bringing out the identical wheel again but I will have to wait 5 months for it, yep thats right 5 months.

So, even though I have used the bike (about 10 times) should I be able to get a refund ? I think I've been pretty patient so far considering this has dragged on for over 3 months.

VassagoJay
    Free Member

Forgot to say, any thoughts about what I should do would be appreciated.

mtbfix

I think you might struggle to get a refund after all this time and faff. You might be able to make a case for a whole new bike but, of course, you bought a discounted 08 bike and after a year of price rises you may find you would be offered what you regard as a lesser model to that which you have now. Clearly you need to go up the chain of command to get anything but due process on this.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sancho
    Free Member

Get your money back and go to a professional bike shop – not a toy shop.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

[stock answer]Google for sale of goods act and read the BERR advice.[/stock answer]

IIRC and I can't be bothered to read it again repairs must be done within a reasonable time – however you are still able to use the bike as they have provided you with a wheel so what is your loss?

As you have had use from the bike you might only be entitled to a partial refund.

Read the BERR advice and see if it fits. I think you are on fairly shaky ground

warton
    Free Member

tough one. could you get a wheel of equivalent value from them? that may be the best option. But as above I doubt its something you'll be able to sort out in the shop. Letters will be required!

Sancho
    Free Member

Bike being discounted wont affect your rigths to a full refund, they have failed to provide adequate replacement and care, Id ask for a full cash refund, which you ar entitled as the bike wasnt fit for purpose, also speak to CAB if you want a few legal points covered.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

i'd be demanding the money back or a new complete bike- either same model or something similar. As an ex- Halfords bloke myself (maybe i shouldnt admit that!) i know that they will try and keep you waiting for ages until you lose the will to fight it. And i bet they will give you the excuse that because it is over 6 weeks that you are not entitled to a refund.
    Just ask for the manager or store manager and make sure they understand your position. Remind them thayt you have had problems from the start that are not from misuse or poor treatment. I wouldnt leave the store until you are satisfied with the outcome. if you keep going in you will probably talk to a different manager each time and they wont know the history of your complaint, so try and talk to the same person each time.

If you cant resolve it in-store, ask them for the customer services number and give them a call. If you can get someone helpful there, or better someone higher up the chain, then list your complaints. Before i left there was a new directive coming in to try and reduce the number of customer complaints directed at stores due to poor customer service. It meant that all the stores were told that they needed to sort out customer complaints in-store before they contacted customer services.

Hope it helps, and good luck!

VassagoJay
    Free Member

Tandem Jeremy, I know I can still use the bike but the reason I got the bike in the first place was for a 135 mile charity ride, that is now long gone and my plan was to sell the bike.
    I wont get a great price for a bike that has a odd lower spec rear wheel.

VassagoJay
    Free Member

defaultslipper, cheers for that, I've dealt with the same manager most of the time and although he has been pretty helpful things are no better 3 months later.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just my opinion – you will find it hard to convince anyone that you have actually suffered a loss as they are willing to source you the correct wheel and have given you a functional one to use in the meantime.

Have you read the BERR advice? It really is good.

Its in the grey areas IMO.

taka
    Free Member

i had asimilar senario when i firststarted mtbing went through 3 appolo's 2 dimondbacks,1 carrea and a gt got my money back and a kona shred because my mum threatend to take them to court

b17
    Free Member

why not just be happy that you've been given frames and wheels without argument, and keep or keep using the bike until you finally get the wheel. Do you think they're making it all up for fun? Sounds to me like they've been trying to be helpful.

taka
    Free Member

b17 are you an halfrauds employer? 😐 :mrgreen:

VassagoJay
    Free Member

TJ , I understand what you are saying but surely I've suffered a loss due to having to ride around with a low spec wheel for upto 8 months. Although not a very expensive bike This is still a Dura Ace specced bike Im talking about.
    Also the fact it took nearly a month before I got to ride it properly should put me in a decent position.

I'd say the chances of me getting the identical wheel are pretty slim though.

I'd be happy with a replacement bike to be honest and I rarely get around to selling bikes these days- I've got a 853 Inbred, Dialled Love/Hate and a Vassago Jabberwocky that I've been intending to sell for months now but just never get around to doing it 🙂

VassagoJay
    Free Member

b17, take a minute to read through my posts mate

b17
    Free Member

I did.

Why the desire to find a way in which you've 'suffered a loss'?

You say yourself you're not that fussed about selling it, so isn't it reasonable that they've helped you have a functional bike.

I'm also not a halfords employee(or -er) (see the happy jobs thread!).

If you're determined to get some sort of compensation for the intense suffering of using a lower spec hub, maybe you should be trying to get given a pair of matching wheels.

project
    Free Member

Mentiom Merchantable Qulity,and state the bike is not fit for purpose.

Print out the above threads and give them to the manager, then tell him you will be sending copies to Head office, dont ever speak to anyone below manager status, as they get more money to manage customer problems.

BigDummy
    Free Member

surely I've suffered a loss due to having to ride around with a low spec wheel for upto 8 months

I agree as a matter of principle, but I don't think we're talking a big money claim here. 🙂

I'd be telling them that I just wanted to stop getting on their backs about it, I was basically happy with the bike, but I needed a pair of matching wheels please and forget about ones coming 5 months hence.

VassagoJay
    Free Member

So your saying that you'd be fine having a bike for 8 months with a lower specced wheel ??
    If I'd have wanted a functional bike I'd have got one of the Carrera ones not the top of the range boardman one.
    And at no point have i said I've had intense suffering !! I have pointed them In the direction of a identical wheel on the net but they did not want to go that route.
    With regards to selling I'd still like the option to sell it when I want though, not to wait until Halfords sort a wheels

VassagoJay
    Free Member

Bigdummy, I'd be happy to get a pair of wheels of equal quality but they dont seem to want to go down that route yet.
    Im not after claiming money, I just want a bike/wheel sorting soon or a refund if that was possible ! I've been plesent to the manager at all times and he has thanked me on many occasions for being so patient.

Cheers for all the help guys, Jason

VassagoJay
    Free Member

christ even by my standards that spelling of pleasant was shocking !!!

Good evening gentlemen 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

Houns would reply to this thread but he is screeching his sports car round to defaultslipper's house with the Customer Service Confidentiality Clause.

😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Halfords !! where do I stand’ is closed to new replies.