Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Halfords Rear High Mount Bike Rack – Anyone got one?
  • pocpoc
    Free Member

Does anyone own one of these bike racks? – specifically the high mount one.
    Clicky link

My main question is, are they really that high so as to not need a light board and plate?
    I’m looking at fitting to a Fiat Bravo and Citroen Xsara Picasso. Both have the lights and plate relatively low (around mid-height for the lights).
    Neither have got tow-bar or electrics and the cost of roof bars for both and then bike carriers on top is adding up a bit!
    Also, not anywhere near a Halfords, so can’t just go any try one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s probably a case of you’d get away with it nine days out of ten (or 99/100 even), because the police have better things to do, I doubt there’s a national target for catching middle class cyclists obscuring their lights.

But, if they (or VOSA) specifically targeting obscured number plates, lights, dodgy trailers, then I suspect they’ll just treat it like any other carrier whether you can see the lights under it/through the spokes/whatever and you’ll get whatever punishment they’re dealing out, because the rules say the lights must be visible from certain angles and not obscured by anything.

Ditto insurance if you’re rear ended (both the cost of your car if it’s damaged, and all the bikes).

2 other things:
    1) Those racks take ages to fit compared to a towbar rack.
    2) If you’re OK with spending half your life taking the rack on and off, checking straps, and worrying how much paint it’s rubbing off your boot. Then you can just fit a relay and socket in your boot, doesn’t take long to wire up, just one wire to each bulb (2x indicators, brake and tail).

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve had one for years and it works really well. I don’t use it that much now, but as long as your lights and plate are visible (they will be), the police don’t have a problem.
    How are they going to pull you over for an offence that isn’t being committed?
    If one of the wheels is in the way, take it off and put it in the boot.

It won’t take half your life to fit and they’re pretty secure. Even with 3 bikes at 80mph. Ahem.

doubleu
    Free Member

I had one on my old car which was a saloon. The bikes were high enough not to obscure lights and plate, so yes did work in that sense.

It was horrible though. The bikes effectivly turned into a wind sail they were that high. Fuel economey nosedived on the motorway. The soft foam pads started to rub away the paintwork on the bootlid. And it was a pain in the ass to fit each time.

My advice is not to bother with it. Either put them inside or on the roof.

canopy
    Free Member

I’ve one of those, and a slightly older version. I paid a fiver for the older one, and a tenner for the newer one. (bought the newer one to steal the mounting straps as I only had one set, and i didn’t want to have to lash friends bikes on so much)

my number plate is mid boot hatch, not low down (last gen civic) and I use the older rack which holds holds the bike a bit lower.

Really haven’t considered the numberplate/lights thing. I wouldn’t worry so much..

I store it unfolded, locked in position, ready to put on the car. I can get it on the car in 5mins. when riding i remove it and put it on the back seat. not really hassle at all! just be careful of pedals and body work.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Halfords Rear High Mount Bike Rack – Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.