Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Halfords Marketplace – BC Discounts and dynamo USB charging
  • lerk
    Free Member

Anyone know if you can get the 10% discount on a ‘Web Exclusive’ product if delivered to store?

I’m looking to buy a BikeCharge dynamo system to top up the garmin on a multiday excursion, and this looks like a reasonable way of doing it without getting busy with the soldering iron…

As an alternative, does anyone use another system for topping up batteries whilst riding?

slackboy

In my experience yes, they’ll take 10% of everything at the till, even non bike stuff.

spooky_b329

Yes. Order in to store using any online deals and then offer your BC card with a flourish at the tills.

Occasionally they need a reminder it applies to all products and not just cycling stuff.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yup, we’ll give the 10% off everything.

Then probably get called Halfrauds on social media.

8)

lerk
    Free Member

Bone Arse!

With 10% off and a £10 gift voucher, it seems a much easier option than faffing with an old bottle dynamo and trying to jerry rig a reg/rec.

I am tempted by the idea of a proper hub dynamo and german lights, but that ain’t happening soon!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

This BikeCharge thing? It looks a bit clunky…
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-technology/cycle-computers/tigra-bikecharge-dynamo-v3-0

Have to say, I think i’d prefer a USB battery pack from Amazon, or a hub dynamo setup.

trail_rat
    Free Member

bike charge is very noisy in use and very delicate.

i would avoid.

lerk
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    bike charge is very noisy in use and very delicate.

i would avoid.

Oh – tell me more…

It seems like a corner of the market which should be packed full of innovative ideas to get a charge for your devices, yet there is seemingly very little. And worse still, what does exist has very little publicity – I couldn’t find many reviews for them and the few there are give a split opinion.

Are they any worse than a bottle dynamo for drag and noise?

My other thought was to use something like this:
    Folding Solar Panel
    fastened over my tent on the pannier rack to charge a battery pack in a pannier, but that would be reliant on good weather.

trail_rat
    Free Member

take less electric gizmos ?

a single 9000mah backup battery lasts 2 weeks of touring topping up the garmin edge 500 every other day.

its more a howl than the rubbing of a bottle dynamo . your main issue of a bottle dynamo is they dont really give the V / W required for usb.

Alpkit do a cheap dyno hub at 60 quid. but you would still need a rectifier of some sort.

FWIW i now have an SP dynohub and cycle2charge on my bike

lerk
    Free Member

Oooh, I didn’t realise Alpkit did anything like that…
    That changes things quite a lot!

I was looking at >£100 for a disc braked 32h hub.

…now then, do I relace the existing wheel, or try to find a matching rim and build a spare?

trail_rat
    Free Member

the sp pd 8 is 80 quid retail.

Tbh id just relace it as is – i had a spare rim kicking about . built it up – but ive never changed my wheel back from the dynohub as its always handy to have a front light ive found and the drag is negligable.

lerk
    Free Member

Damn you…
    Hub ordered as well as B&M lumotec set from rose…

I’ve just dismantled my wheel in readiness for building!

Can anyone advise on dimensions for the love mud juice hub, otherwise I’ll wait to measure it before ordering spokes!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I think you’ll appreciate it 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Halfords Marketplace – BC Discounts and dynamo USB charging’ is closed to new replies.