Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Halfords cycle to work scheme – can I source the bike from Evans.
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

My employer is launching the cycle to work scheme next week and its through Halfords. I know Halfords used to be able to source any bike available in the UK. Is that still the case?

If it is could I buy from Evans or is it unlikely they would source from a competitor?

Also can you ‘top up’ the price of the bike or does it need to be £1k and under?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Anyone?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Quite a few good LBSs will accept Halfords vouchers. May be worth checking with them.

I doubt that Evans would take a Halfords voucher, however. As you say, more of a direct competitor.

Scapegoat

Ring the C2W helpline and ask them. 0345 504 6444.

Basically this will give you access a network of independent bike retailers that accept the Halfords C2W letter of collection. “Voucher” is a misnomer. Be aware, that the network retailers pay a cut to Halfords out of the Letter of Collection Value, so there aren’t many (if any at all) that will sell you a discounted bike. My LBS participates in the scheme and ends up making about 5% on a C2W sale.

To save any potential disappointment or indignant “Miggins Independent Velocipede Emporium won’t let me buy a discounted bike” threads, work on the full retail price of the bike when doing your calculations. Work out what bike you want and ring the helpline. They’ll tell you where to order one from,(or tell you if it’s a brand they can’t source) or order it for you. You then print out your LOC and hand it over to the retailer.

ampthill

Interesting

I may be in the same position next summer

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. I can’t ring anyone at the moment as the scheme doesn’t launch till next week. Unfortunately my shortlist of two bikes contains one of evans in house brand Pinnacle. Boardman 2015 range doesn’t seen to be out yet so there may be something suitable there.

Scapegoat

Why can’t you ring the helpline?

What sort of bike do you want?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well I think it would make sense to see the details first so may as well wait a week.

Its either a Pinnacle Arkose Four or a Whyte Suffolk at the moment.

Stu_N

They are happy to answer general questions before your scheme goes live, well they did for me anyway when I was looking for my DayOne…

aazlad
    Free Member

I used a Halfords voucher in Harry Halls (Manchester) a few years ago. Evans may not be as helpful though.

jameso

I doubt that Evans would take a Halfords voucher, however. As you say, more of a direct competitor.

Ask them .. if they won’t it won’t be anything to do with who is or isn’t ‘direct competition’. Halfords is no more or less that than any other bike shop.

Gary_M
    Free Member

In terms of being unhelpful I was thinking more from Halfords end, they may say they can’t source that bike.

I’m not that sure how the scheme works now really so I’ll wait until next week. If I can’t ‘top up’ the value by paying x amount myself then the evans bike won’t be an option anyway.

scotroutes

Can I add my own money to the value of an LoC in order to get a more expensive bike?

Halfords cycle2work does not allow employees to ‘top up’ or add to their Letter of Collection (LoC) using their own funds in-store, as both employee and employer would then jointly own the bike. This could create a potential conflict of interest when it comes to the end of the hire period.[/quote]
    http://www.cycle2work.info/siteemployeefaqs#a18

Gary_M
    Free Member

Oh bollox

scotroutes

That’s not to say that some outlets don’t simply ignore the rules….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Halfords cycle to work scheme – can I source the bike from Evans.’ is closed to new replies.