Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Halfords bike trailer – anyone got one?
  • rocco

Looking for a bike trailer to take our 12 month old out have been looking at the single trailer in Halfords. Reviews seem good and although I would love to buy a Cougar or similar the funds just aren’t there. Does anyone have the Halfords trailer and if so what’s it like? It will only be used for cycle path/trails and nothing adventurous

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/child-bike-trailers/halfords-single-buggy-child-bike-trailer

stox
    Free Member

I have one. Picked it up locally off eBay for £35.
    It does what I need it to do which is pretty much the same as your requirement.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

As above, does what it says on the tin.

rocco

Great, that’s all I needed to know. Will pick one up tomorrow 😀

How do you both find the water-proofness of it for little one?

stox
    Free Member

How do you both find the water-proofness of it for little one?

I can’t comment .. Don’t think I’ve used it in the rain. Not entirely sure it’d fare too well in a downpour but the odd spot of rain shouldn’t cause it too much concern

Bez

I’ve got one. It’s adequate for light use.

The seat is pretty basic and doesn’t look terribly comfortable (we sometimes stuff jackets etc under it for a bit more support) but my daughter doesn’t seem to have been too bothered by it.

There’s no suspension other than the tyres, so it’s not really suitable for anything more than fire roads. The wheel fittings are pretty cheap and nasty, but they work.

Waterproofing is completely non-existent: anything more than light drizzle and your little passenger will get drenched.

You can stuff a few things down the back of it, which is helpful, but there’s nothing to stop things just slopping around in the “floor” and not much to keep anything from falling out of the back either, so you have to be careful.

The other slightly odd thing is that it’s asymmetric (presumably they economised by using the towing arm from the double version) so you have to try and remember which is the wide side when going through gates or along the edge of a path. If you need to go over stiles etc then it’s a bit of a faff, but doable.

So you can sort of muddle by with it, if you take it to the right places in the right weather. Fundamentally it’s one of the cheapest ways to get a trailer, and my daughter generally loved riding in it. We used it from when she was 9 months to two and a half, when she started riding a Cnoc towed on the back of my bike, and that’s generally much easier than using the trailer.

Haven’t yet decided whether to sell it or convert it to cargo use 🙂

scruffywelder
    Free Member

The other slightly odd thing is that it’s asymmetric (presumably they economised by using the towing arm from the double version) so you have to try and remember which is the wide side when going through gates or along the edge of a path.

Looking at the pics on the web it looks like a bit of hacksaw/drill-age might sort that.

rocco

Thanks Bez, that’s great. Although not looking to go out in the rain it would be nice to use as much as possible and living in Wales it is likely we will be getting wet at some point. So water proofing is important.

Any other trailers to consider up to around £200?

Saccades
    Free Member

natrix
    Free Member

I used the double one and was very pleased with it. When we went out in the rain they wore their waterproofs and were happy enough. The main issue was that when going through puddles the floor would get wet, so they wore their wellies.

benp1

Don’t know if this helps, as I don’t have the Halfords one but another one

But I added carpet to the floor and polystyrene under the seat. This made it a lot more comfortable and also a lot warmer.

I’d also recommend a cargo net on the back, I used to be able to carry a big bag hung from the frame and kept from moving my the cargo net, meant I could carry loads of stuff if we went out (e.g. picnic, toys, coats)

twicewithchips
    Free Member

We had one second hand – basic but serviceable. Was used for summer trips and the like, and it was fine for that, but it’s certainly not expedition grade. Dunno if I’d get one new – try gumtree or whatever? Pretty much what Bez says in other words.

Can you waterproof the child, rather than the trailer if needed?

I got a hitch from Edinburgh bicycle, because ours was missing.

The kids grew out of it pretty quick (or was it that i couldn’t tow them anymore, I can’t quite remember…) but it was then used as backup when little legs got tired. We just strapped the boys’ bikes to the back with bungees.

ajantom

Look on gumtree, etc. for secondhand Thule/Chariot trailers.
    I got a double one with all the extras (rain cover, front wheel + fittings, etc) for just over £100. Solid plastic base, much more solid axle and wheel fittings, comfy seats with decent harnesses. These will also hold their value much better if you decide to sell on in a few years time.

ransos
    Free Member

Look on gumtree, etc. for secondhand Thule/Chariot trailers.

This. We bought a Croozer s/h for around £200 and sold it two years later for around £180. I’d say a used branded trailer is easily the best value option, and they are better made than the Halfords one.

natrix
    Free Member

The Thule/Chariot branded trailers certainly seem more robust but can be a fair bit heavier as well…………..

chaos

Halfords ones seemed to have very little headroom so we ended up going for a Burley D’lite which is still good for a 4 year old. Judging by ebay they also have good resale value.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve got the single seater, the big downside to the double when I bought it was that you couldn’t get a bolt on handle to use it as a off road buggy. I got round this by buying a double buggy handle and cutting it down to fit. We actually used ours more as an off road buggy than a bike trailer.

Mines spare now as the daughter is too big for it If your around Derbyshire mines for sale

TheBrick
    Free Member

You guys are lucky to get the chariots for 200. I’ve started looking and just seen one go for over 600 with the jogging wheel and baby sling. Others seem to be going for close to 500.

ransos
    Free Member

Halfords ones seemed to have very little headroom so we ended up going for a Burley D’lite which is still good for a 4 year old. Judging by ebay they also have good resale value.

We have the same trailer. I can just about shoehorn my two kids (ages 2 & 5) in there but it’s now reaching the point where I can’t get up the hills. Total weight of kids plus trailer is 50kg!

steeble
    Free Member

You could get a bumper explorer pretty cheap but agree with previous posts. Gte a second hand croozer, had one and loved it. Loads of room and can carry alot in the back. Bit big though but very versatile and I managed to sell it for what I paid

rocco

After looking in them more I’ve decided to forget the halfords trailer and get a chariot. What are they like in the rain? There is 2 localism to me at the top of my budget, one with the ‘running buggy’ wheel and one without, does anyone have one Nd use it as a buggy as well?

ajantom

The buggy wheel and handle is useful. We’ve used it for pushing the sprog around at festivals. Means you can cycle somewhere, lock up the bikes and use it for carrying bits and bobs as well as the child.
    Mine’s good in the rain. Solid base on my model means the floor doesn’t get soaked, the standard cover is pretty waterproof, and if you have the full rain cover it’s nigh on water-tight.

steeble
    Free Member

got the burley dlite but often use it with the stroller wheels. Effectively a big pram but can go over way bumpier terrain

stumpy01

Sounds like someone needs to come up with a fat tyre kids trailer for added rear comfort – couple of FAT tyres running low pressure for extra squidge…..

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

We have the double version and are very happy. As some one said, the floor isn’t waterproof but the sides and top are. We live in Thailand and with my boys’ school bags on their lap, they get to school with nothing but the soles of their feet wet during monsoon season. It looks like I, the cyclist, has swum to class.

It does seem a little basic compared to others but ours has done 4 years being used nearly every school day and is in near new condition. It’s done fire roads, some single track and a little more adventurous stuff. I don’t think a more expensive version wold have changed our use of it though. The seat lulls both of mine off to sleep if they’re ridden for more than 20 minutes and neither have complained on 90 min + legs.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Halfords bike trailer – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.